Two Coz questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle:
When we were in Cozumel in May, the beach in front of El Presidente was gone! Only iron shore is left. I don't know if they are going to truck in sand to replace it, but until they do, EP doesn't have a beach.

Yes, actually that's part of the rebuild plan :)

fishoutawater:
Yeah ggun, I was thinking I'd wait until I saw something about it on this board before I booked.
And Mike, I'd read some reviews on some vacation websites, where the reviewers claimed they were paying 15-25 bucks for cab rides into town. 60 Pesos sounds mui better. And since I do plan on some traditional fiesta activity, I'd just as soon not drive down there at all.
I would agree that those high-priced cab rides have to be from the far south AIs. I have stayed at the Fiesta several times and the Presidente once (they are less than a mile apart) and the cab rides have always been cheap. They also have posted prices at the hotels that the cabbies have to observe. Coming back from town, the same rule doesn't apply, but just remember what you paid to get into town and insist on paying the same, or maybe just a few pesos more, to get back to the hotel.

Christi is absolutely right about the beaches. Anybody from the Fiesta north that has a beach built it. I have always liked the Fiesta pretty well and it is probably the second-nicest hotel on the island, after the Presidente. Which, come to think of it, probably makes it the nicest for the time being. Staying at the Fiesta puts you that much closer to the main dive sites and the harbor is close, right next to the Presidente, in fact, so any of the dive ops will pick you up at the Fiesta's pier. If you are interested, I can give you some more information.

Christi:
Another option is Fiesta Americana. I've heard nothing but positive reviews from all of my divers who have stayed there since Wilma. Again, ironshore beach but they have a man,made sandy area with access to the water.
I will agree on that as well. I loved their beach area. Here are some pics of it.

Wow! That Fiesta Americana looks SWEET! Thanks for posting the pics.
We stayed at the one in Cancun years ago, before I figured out the diving is on Cozumel. Ended up taking the bus and ferry to Coz three days in a row that trip.

And as I understand it, it's the ironshore/man made beaches that provide the best snorkeling anyway. I don't think my wife will care whether the sand is naturally there or brought in by truck. She just wants SAND. So the Americana it will be.
THANKS!

fishoutawater:
We stayed at the one in Cancun years ago, before I figured out the diving is on Cozumel. Ended up taking the bus and ferry to Coz three days in a row that trip.

And as I understand it, it's the ironshore/man made beaches that provide the best snorkeling anyway. I don't think my wife will care whether the sand is naturally there or brought in by truck. She just wants SAND. So the Americana it will be.
THANKS!
Glad we could be of assistance!

I think you will like the FA. The "beach" is elevated above the water, so if you want to get to the water, you have to take steps down to it.

Plus like said eariler, the downtown is just a $6 cab ride away. But your best bet is to rent a car for the time you are there. We rented a nice 4 door VW with AC for $38.50 w/insurance from LessPay.

divingjd:
I would agree that those high-priced cab rides have to be from the far south AIs. I have stayed at the Fiesta several times and the Presidente once (they are less than a mile apart) and the cab rides have always been cheap. They also have posted prices at the hotels that the cabbies have to observe. Coming back from town, the same rule doesn't apply, but just remember what you paid to get into town and insist on paying the same, or maybe just a few pesos more, to get back to the hotel.

Christi is absolutely right about the beaches. Anybody from the Fiesta north that has a beach built it. I have always liked the Fiesta pretty well and it is probably the second-nicest hotel on the island, after the Presidente. Which, come to think of it, probably makes it the nicest for the time being. Staying at the Fiesta puts you that much closer to the main dive sites and the harbor is close, right next to the Presidente, in fact, so any of the dive ops will pick you up at the Fiesta's pier. If you are interested, I can give you some more information.

Strictly stay at FA now. Extra cost of Presidente in our opinion is not worth it. The southern locations are where we prefer to dive so boat rides are not long at all. Since we eat in town for dinner every nite at our favorite locales, AIs are not part of our plan. I do however plan on checking out the newly renovated PLG, dont recall the new name, next time were there. I hear they did a very nice job. Also going to check out the new condos right next door.

fishoutawater:

THANKS!

" So the Americana it will be." ........ Big Mistake, IMO. I've stayed at both hotels as well as three others. I've stayed at The Presidente 18 times. Will not stay anywhere else if I can help it. I get Emails from them on a regular basis. Intercontinental Hotels, the owners, are putting 25 million dollars into the renovation. I was there 5 weeks ago and talked to the Construction crew Superintendent. I'm a Gen. Contractor here in the Houston area. I also think October is very optimistic. I'm thinking mid Dec. 06 if they are lucky with weather and obtaining materials. Jan. or Feb. of 07 wouldn't surprise me.

Mawg:
" So the Americana it will be." ........ Big Mistake, IMO.

Aw, c'mon. Lots of folks like the Fiesta Americana. It may not register as high on the Swank-o-Meter as the Presidente once did and may again some day, but it's just fine for many people. Plus, the OP said he was going in December, I believe, and you said yourself that the Presidente may very well not be open by then.

Back
Top Bottom