Two recent articles on Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
That's fine if other people only think it's theoretical right?? Let them wait for nitrox divers on the boat while we enjoy our "theoretical" extended bottom time. :laughing:
You just lost your fractional (edited:SAFETY) advantage.:wink:

scubadobadoo:
You just lost your fractional advantage.:wink:

Extended bottom time is a BIG advantage. I think don't Howard is taking full advantage of Nitrox. He should buy a bigger tank and get 70-80 minutes of BT like me. :laughing:

scubadobadoo:
The article is being written for rec divers and not decompression divers Perrone.

Nitrox won't save you from getting bent, it may help, but how you use it is far more important than the actual advantage of less nitrogen. That is what I read in the article.

I know. But I think that Nitrox does have some advantages even though they may be small in some cases. If nothing else, Nitrox SHOULD force the diver to think a bit more about their dive planning, and that is always a good thing.

TheRedHead:
Extended bottom time is a BIG advantage. I think don't Howard is taking full advantage of Nitrox. He should be a bigger tank and get 70-80 minutes of BT like me. :laughing:
My preferred dive op asks us to keep it to an hour, because the people who dive on air will get seasick waiting for us otherwise :lol:

MikeFerrara:
Limited by gas supply? Maybe on the first dive and/or if we assume that all diving is done with a single 80 cuft tank.

I believe that is the target audience for this article. Most everything in this magazine is written for the new, recreational diver. This article was specifically written to debunk nitrox as a MAGIC gas for the recreational diver. That is why I refered to brainwashing. I wasn't implying that you or anyone was. I was pointing out the perspective of the article.

Hmm, let's look at the benefit for a sport diver making a dive to 90'. The NDL on air is 25 minutes whereas the NDL on EAN32 is 40 minutes and the NDL on EAN36 is 50 minutes. I don't call that miniscule.
Now let's look at a planned decompression dive. I made one the other day on a wreck to 188' for 25 minutes. Had I done the dive on air it would have required 101 minutes of decompression including 70 minutes at 20'. Instead I made the dive with 24% in my back gas, went on 50% at 70' and went to 100% O2 at 20'. Total decompression time was 33 minutes. More bottom time and less decompression time. That's significant not minisule.

TheRedHead:
Extended bottom time is a BIG advantage. I think don't Howard is taking full advantage of Nitrox. He should buy a bigger tank and get 70-80 minutes of BT like me. :laughing:

I was refering to his nitrogen advantage. Of course more BT is an advantage. I think that is obvious so I didn't feel the need to point it out AGAIN.:wink:

PerroneFord:
I know. But I think that Nitrox does have some advantages even though they may be small in some cases. If nothing else, Nitrox SHOULD force the diver to think a bit more about their dive planning, and that is always a good thing.
I agree.

TXDM:
Hmm, let's look at the benefit for a sport diver making a dive to 90'. The NDL on air is 25 minutes whereas the NDL on EAN32 is 40 minutes and the NDL on EAN36 is 50 minutes. I don't call that miniscule.
Now let's look at a planned decompression dive. I made one the other day on a wreck to 188' for 25 minutes. Had I done the dive on air it would have required 101 minutes of decompression including 70 minutes at 20'. Instead I made the dive with 24% in my back gas, went on 50% at 70' and went to 100% O2 at 20'. Total decompression time was 33 minutes. More bottom time and less decompression time. That's significant not minisule.

Do I need to explain myself AGAIN? OF COURSE YOU GET MORE BT WITH NITROX. WE ALL GET THAT. YES IT IS AN ADVANTAGE. SO use the extended BT and you just lost your NITROGEN advantage.

As for decompression dives, I am not even going to get onto that because the article wasn't written for decompression divers. Did you read the article?

scubadobadoo:
SO use the extended BT and you just lost your NITROGEN advantage.

Can you illustrate that with an example?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom