Two recent articles on Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
Can you illustrate that with an example?

We dive a wreck with a square profile. If I dive air to the limit and I am back on the boat before you, and you are still in the water because you are using nitrox to the limit, then we both did the same dive in terms of nitrogen loading. You now have no advantage other than extended BT. Using nitrox in this case wasn't safer than air. That is what I am talking about.

If one uses the extended bottom time of nitrox, the nitrogen time equals out.

That's the whole purpose of nitrox.

The diver doesn't "lose" the nitrogen advantage, he merely gains bottom time based on the nitrogen loading for that depth.

The "nitrogen advantage" is created when the diver does a dive at a specific depth and follows the air NDL guidelines for that dive.

the K

The Kraken:
If one uses the extended bottom time of nitrox, the nitrogen time equals out.

That's the whole purpose of nitrox.

The diver doesn't "lose" the nitrogen advantage, he merely gains bottom time based on the nitrogen loading for that depth.

The "nitrogen advantage" is created when the diver does a dive at a specific depth and follows the air NDL guidelines for that dive.

the K

That is a much better way to put it and I agree. A MUCH better way! Still, in this case, the diver doesn't gain a safety advantage and assumes an even higher risk when you add MOD to the mix.

scubadobadoo:
and assumes an even higher risk when you add MOD to the mix.

Not if there's a hard bottom at - oh let's say 70-80 FSW.

Ok... I've been mooned... My work here is obviously done :D

scubadobadoo:
The less risk advantage is a LITTLE HARDER TO PROVE although we all understand it is there. SO yes, it is theoretical at this point.

Most everything regarding decompression in diving is theoretical. Should we disregard it all?

Blackwood:
Most everything regarding decompression in diving is theoretical. Should we disregard it all?

No, of course not Blackwood. I never said that we should disregard it all, so why bring that up? My comment above was in response to someone's specific comment but thanks for taking it out of context to add your very thoughtful post to the mix.:wink: We clearly both pointed out the obvious.

howarde:
Ok... I've been mooned... My work here is obviously done :D
That was a hard bottom for you, lol!:mooner: I should have pointed that out specificlly. Sorry, I wasn't really mooning you.

scubadobadoo:
We dive a wreck with a square profile. If I dive air to the limit and I am back on the boat before you, and you are still in the water because you are using nitrox to the limit, then we both did the same dive in terms of nitrogen loading. You now have no advantage other than extended BT. Using nitrox in this case wasn't safer than air. That is what I am talking about.

The Nitrox diver will also be unloading his nitrogen faster than you because the O2/N2 differential is greater. That's the premise of accelerated deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom