Tying Knots for primary and back up lights.and twist tying knots to regs with o rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdennyb:
I thought the o-ring/zip tie was acceptable for those things you can't "lose"...like the SPG and the second stage reg. etc. Using cave line on those items you can't afford to lose unknowingly like reel, stage bottle, etc.
db

The only time they use 'breakaway' connections is when you're diving a rebreather, since the long hose is clipped off.

In an OOA drill, the long hose is still the one donated. The donor closes the loop, flips up the mouthpiece, and switches to the backup.

RichLockyer:
...I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to my primary while it was clipped off while I'm on a stage.

This is a perfect example to use the o-ring/zip tie method. If I have a pri clipped off and I'm on the stage bottle and the buddy has a problem and in the really remote chance all these things happen at the exact same time, I can twist off the pri and donate it. Since the backup wouldn't reach you, my thinking is you'd want to be able to get the reg in your mouth as soon as possible and not wait for me to unclip it. Right?
Sure, it's really inconvient to have a hose flopping around behind you but don't you have a small velcro band for those kind of emergencies? I do. If the o-ring breaks for some reason when I don't want it to, I can just capture it to my harness strap with the velcro band and it stays right there until I get done with the dive. So far that hasn't happened yet but I'm ready if it should.
Cave line is fine if you want a more premanent attachment method. Whether you think of it as DIR or not is irrellevant in my opinion. It (o-ring/zip tie) has a logical reason and place to be used and that's that. If you want to tie off all your bolt snaps with cave line, so be it. But I'll continue to use the o-ring method where it's needed and change them out every so often. I found the 1/8" dia x 1 1/2" dia worked really well but didn't last very long. Similiar to your 30 dives thing. I just upgraded to a heavier o-ring. Now I use a heavier one and a lighter zip tie. It still twists off but not as easy as it did, and it lasts a lot longer. I figure if I'm twisting it off for an emergency reason, I'll have the strength of hercules and it won't be a problem. If I catch it on a limb or something it'll give me a tug but won't snap in half without some good pulls.
Take this for what it's worth.
db

cdennyb:
This is a perfect example to use the o-ring/zip tie method. If I have a pri clipped off and I'm on the stage bottle and the buddy has a problem and in the really remote chance all these things happen at the exact same time, I can twist off the pri and donate it. Since the backup wouldn't reach you, my thinking is you'd want to be able to get the reg in your mouth as soon as possible and not wait for me to unclip it. Right?
You never intentionally donate the clipped-off reg. ALWAYS the one from your mouth, stage, deco, or back gas.

RichLockyer:
You never intentionally donate the clipped-off reg. ALWAYS the one from your mouth, stage, deco, or back gas.

hmmmm. very interesting there Rich. :wink:

cdennyb:
hmmmm. very interesting there Rich. :wink:
Hows so? Why the winky?

cdennyb:
Whether you think of it as DIR or not is irrellevant in my opinion.
How could this ever be "irrelevant" in the DIR forum, where only DIR answers are appropriate?

Christian

headhunter:
How could this ever be "irrelevant" in the DIR forum, where only DIR answers are appropriate?
I think his point was whether or not I feel that it is DIR... and I base my opinion on my GUE training, and what I have read "straight from the horse's mouth" on Quest.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom