u s divers co.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BRR@PA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
under the latest 3mm of paint I have discovered the following code.
U S DIVERS CO. ICC 3AA 2250
K 16178

USD
10 (L IN CIRCLE) 65+
4A77
Have not found any US Diver info in my manufacturer pages. Also is this a Canadian tank. What is the chance of getting Hydro ????

Thanks for the help

That is most likely a steel 72.

US Divers is now Aqua Lung. It was not the tank manufacturer… the tank was just rebranded by US Divers. US Diver had the tank built for resale. I own about 1/2 dozen steel 72 that are stamped US Divers. I also have a couple of Voit tanks... neither built their own tanks.

Based on the stamping I can’t tell who was the actual manufacturer of the tank, but I would guess maybe WalterKiddey (sp?), maybe a PST (Pressed Steel Tank). The serial number doesn’t look like a Norris tank.

The: (L IN CIRCLE) is the original hydro tester symbol and I can probably look up who the hydro tester was and the original manufacturer, but you don’t really need that information.

The tank was first hydroed in 10/65 and at the time it was + stamped giving it a 10% over fill allowance.

The ICC means Interstate Commerce Commission. The ICC stamping has now been replaced by DOT (Department of Transportation), but there is no difference to the hydro facility. Both stamps are equivalent.

The 3AA is the DOT specification for seamless chrome-molybdenum steel tanks. The code for that tank is the same as for most new LP tanks built to this day. With the 3AA and the working pressure is all the information the hydro facility needs to do a hydro.

The working pressure is the 2250 (that is in psi).

Having the tank hydro tested and put back in service is not a problem.

Good luck

It is most likely made by PST (Pressed Steel Tank, Inc) and first tested by Cochrane Laboratories (L in a circle) since both companies were located in Milwaukee, WI.

Last edited:
If it's 6.9" in diameter (just under 22" in circumference) and about 25" tall, you have a LP72 as Luis has described in his usual detailed way.

Captain, you really know this stuff, don't you?

Did Walter Kiddie also make tanks for USD? Check carefully for a "W" in front of the "K 16178".

The Cochrane Laboratories stamp is actually an L in a C but it is the only stanp that could easily be confused with an L in a circle and there is no testing company identified by an L in a circle.
Cochrane Labs is still in bussiness in Milwaukee and could possibly be a source of information on the early PST tanks.

Captain, do you have any information on the original hydrotester's mark of "N" within a diamond? I have several Healthways stamped cylinders that have that stamp in the original hydos and an "HJ" prefix to the serial numbers. Any idea who actually manufactured these cylinders?

HJ serial number prefix was used by Norris.

For tank symbles etc. go here:
CTC Seminars Home Page
Click on "Helpfull Information"
Click on "Technical Information"
Then look at both "Cylinder Manufacturer's Symbols" and "DOT List of Symbols" and you should get the info you need.

The N in the Diamond is the symbol for Norris.

Cochran Labratories is a third party inspector, approved by DOT to do on site inspections of the cylinders as they are manufactured. They check wall thickness, metallurgy and other items required by DOT. However, they do not do the hydro test. The manufacture is responsible for this. I have seen several US Diver marked cylinders with no obvious manufactures mark. DOT does require the mfg's mark to be recorded at hydro, but the DOT inspectors I have talked to have said they did not have a problem keeping the cylinder in service if it was missing the mfg. symbol. For whatever it's worth.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom