U.S. Navy, 78-82

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So lets see, My cert from 42 years ago is worthless? Your clueless.

Gary D.

matt_unique:
What these guys had to do 20+ years ago was a different kettle of fish from what I have read. OUR current certs would likely be considered worthless compared to what they had to do. Take you down to 10,000', make you take your gear off, rip your mask off, kick you in the nuts, spin you around 10 times, then have you solve all the problems. I'm *slightly* exaggerating :wink: and this is only from what I have read from those who were certified long ago.

And why would this make a 1978 cert worthless? It makes it worth more - anyone who could pass in 1978 could breeze through a course today, EVEN if they've become an out of shape couch potato in the last 25 years.

NAUI uses your social security number as your certification number (something I have a problem with, but that's another story.) If they issued your card, they should have a record of it, but your SSN may be the only way to find it.

dweeb:
And why would this make a 1978 cert worthless? It makes it worth more - anyone who could pass in 1978 could breeze through a course today, EVEN if they've become an out of shape couch potato in the last 25 years.

NAUI uses your social security number as your certification number (something I have a problem with, but that's another story.) If they issued your card, they should have a record of it, but your SSN may be the only way to find it.

Of course it makes the older certs worth much more in my opinion. I think you misunderstood my post. I think the standards today are way too lax and certainly lax compared to standards from 20+ years ago based on what I have read.

--Matt

Amazing how what I was thinking when I made the post was interpreted differently by the readers. The problems of written communication.
Since I also dove for the first time in the early 70s and worked with (contracted) professional dive teams for a few years, I am fully aware of the difference in standards from then till now.

Sorry if I offended anyone in this sense.
What I had interpreted in the original post, and really meant to comment, was the situation of somebody that qualified a long time ago, didn't keep in practice, and is now taking up the sport again. In that situation I would consider the original qualification worthless.

Obviously this does not apply to somebody who has been diving regularly and keeping up to date.

Even then, most divers will have done additional speciality courses over the years and have accumulated some extra cards which prove their qualification to dive.

Also, normally anybody diving regularly will have a couple of extra xerox copies of their card, I do because I don't like carrying original documents on trips.

miketsp:
Amazing how what I was thinking when I made the post was interpreted differently by the readers. The problems of written communication.
Since I also dove for the first time in the early 70s and worked with (contracted) professional dive teams for a few years, I am fully aware of the difference in standards from then till now.

Sorry if I offended anyone in this sense.
What I had interpreted in the original post, and really meant to comment, was the situation of somebody that qualified a long time ago, didn't keep in practice, and is now taking up the sport again. In that situation I would consider the original qualification worthless.

Obviously this does not apply to somebody who has been diving regularly and keeping up to date.

Even then, most divers will have done additional speciality courses over the years and have accumulated some extra cards which prove their qualification to dive.

Also, normally anybody diving regularly will have a couple of extra xerox copies of their card, I do because I don't like carrying original documents on trips.

Sorry, Your forgiven;^)

Gary D.

To recover a card from the early 80's where records are not available. To find who the instructor from back then and still have to have his records, good luck.
Standards say we must keep our records for 5 years. Even though I have all from 1976. I usually get sombody wanting a card from way back when. I usually get them into a new course or a good refresher.
The true questions should be, when was your last dive? If longer than 3 to five years consider another course, refresher or raising the level of certification of one who has lost a card. Some past divers you have to consider the physical skills and their condition.
Learning properly and diving safely is all that counts for the condition of the type of diving one does.

Lets see, diving and certified, since late 60's and instructing since 1976.
Los Angeles County
NAUI
PADI
YMCA

Lost my NASDS C-card from 1971. NASDS is now SSI, and they told me that all the NASDS records from 71-76 burned up in a fire. They recommended I go to my LDS and convince them to give me a refresher and a new card, which, for $50.00, they gladly did.
They didn't throw my gear to the bottom of the pool and have me put it on, they didn't have me buddy breath, they didn't even have me breath off the tank valve! It was nothing like the original class, but somehow I passed anyway.

I was only hoping that some one was in the Navy and had been to the Philippines and heard of this organization. I'll pay the $225 and start all over. I still remember how to dive, but I agree it wouldn't hurt to go through training again after all these years. You used to be able to get away with spanking your kid at that time but you can't now. Training was brutal as I remember. First time I took my mask off, water shot up my nose not much faster than I did to the surface immediately following. The instructor was in my face saying "BACK DOWN!" Scared me so bad I was back down in a flash. Learned quick. Kinder, gentler nation now, lol. There has been the opinion of the majority that the organization that trains you may not be as important as the instructor that trains you. It all evens out in the end.

Gary D.:
So lets see, My cert from 42 years ago is worthless? Your clueless.

Gary D.

The cert gave you the opportunity to get the experience. Not at all worthless in my opinion. NAUI not having any record of my training in 1981, since they go back to 1970, makes me believe that it was a scam. But even the scam wasn't worthless. I learned how to dive anyway. Makes going through the course again a lot easier than never having the experience.

scubatomwetzel:
To recover a card from the early 80's where records are not available. To find who the instructor from back then and still have to have his records, good luck.
Standards say we must keep our records for 5 years. Even though I have all from 1976. I usually get sombody wanting a card from way back when. I usually get them into a new course or a good refresher.
The true questions should be, when was your last dive? If longer than 3 to five years consider another course, refresher or raising the level of certification of one who has lost a card. Some past divers you have to consider the physical skills and their condition.
Learning properly and diving safely is all that counts for the condition of the type of diving one does.

Lets see, diving and certified, since late 60's and instructing since 1976.
Los Angeles County
NAUI
PADI
YMCA

Exactly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom