UK SUNLIGHT SL4 in eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
The $118 price is for the entire light - you just need the "bulb" assembly (item# 03.0907 "µ HLD1 Bulb"), which will fit in the SL4 head. I have no idea how much the MAL "bulb" costs...

Ahhhh. Gotcha! I missunderstood. Now I'm clear. Now the quest begins to find out where they're available and how much they are. Off we go.....

I contacted the folks at Underwater Kinetics a couple of months ago about the SL4 and SL6 lights with LEDs as light sources. I don't have the return message any more but they will be introducing the SL4 with an LED this year, unfortunately I can't remember when. At this time the appear not to have any plans for the SL6.

I was looking for the light as a backup light for cave diving, so I was interested in long burn times. The direction that they seem to be going is slightly longer burn times than the incandescent version, but not dramatically longer burn times. The light was represented as being fairly bright with a high color temperature. Since the light did not seem to fit my criteria as a backup in a cave I deleted their message to me and moved along.

Hope this helps,

Mark Vlahos

There is a lot of good info going back & forth here. If retro-fitting our SL4s with the new eLEDs is cost effective I would definitely be interested in doing it as we probably have about 4 of them that we use a backups, give to students to use, etc.

That being said, we have had nothing but positive experiences with UK products. I'd wager that a couple of our larger units are over 10 years old and still fully functional.

BTW, we were at 60' in Bonaire a few years back when I came upon an SL4 sitting in a small clearing in the coral. Although I don't know how long it had been submerged (it looked relatively clean) I tried to switch it on, but nothing happened. Back in our room I replaced the batteries, flipped the switch, and voila! it lit up just fine.

So UK is ok by me! :D

evad:
About 80 bucks.

Steep! I can get a new UK SL4 off their website for $24.95 (MSRP $42.00)

SubMariner:
Steep! I can get a new UK SL4 off their website for $24.95 (MSRP $42.00)

I agree! At $25 for the unit and $80 for a drop in lamp, that's $105. When the eLED version comes out, which it sounds like will be this year (fingers crossed), I expect the SL4 eLED to probably be around $40-$45 or so if I judge correctly using the C8 v. eLED C8 as a guide. I think I'll wait, or just go with the current SL4 for $25.

OK. I emailed UK about when the SL4 will be available in eLED and this is their response:

At present there is no announcement for an eLED SL4 although eventually eLED technology will be available in most UK lights. I suggest you consider either the 4AA or C4 eLED lights.

There you go. Nothing pending, but eventually.

Divin'Hoosier:
OK. I emailed UK about when the SL4 will be available in eLED and this is their response:

At present there is no announcement for an eLED SL4 although eventually eLED technology will be available in most UK lights. I suggest you consider either the 4AA or C4 eLED lights.

Thanks for following up on that DH. It's unfortunate that they aren't pursuing the eLED for the SL4 on a faster schedule. Oh well... :ne_nau:

Divin'Hoosier:

Interesting, I asked them about LED SL4 and SL6 lights a couple of months ago and got a nice reply and they actually sent me a copy of what is sure to be sales literature for an upcoming SL4 with an LED for a light source.

My question was specifically about future plans and definitely not current availability.

I will try to scour my hard disk to find the information, but I think I trashed it.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom