Ultimate Dive Log Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like a pretty large ambitious project. How about a
much simpler one first?
(One that you would probably have to do anyway)

How about having people go off and reverse engineer and
document the data protocols for their top favorite dive computers?
(At least for those that won't willingly give up their documentation)

I think once these are documented and handed out to the folks
that already have dive s/w, direct download support for
these computers will come sooner than a new project
will be available.

At a minimum, the other 3rd party guys could be working on
updating their s/w while this project is going.

I know the Aeris/Oceanic dive computers use a serial interface.
It is pretty trivial to capture & log all the serial data and
control signals with readilyy available snoopers such as
"Portmon".

Then, its just a matter of decoding the fields and figuring out
their checksum algorithms (if any).
Sure, the reversed engineered data protocol would probabaly not
be complete, but it would definitely be good enough to reliably
download and configure the dive computer.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can lean on the Oceanic/Aeris
guys to willingly cough up the documentation for the serial interface.

--- bill

I would also like to volunteer my services to help with the coding if you are going the C, C++, C# route.

Actually I have been planning to write my own software next year.

Sorry for the thread mining, but I'm keen to write my own dive software that I can use between a PDA and a PC (PDA on the boat, synced to PC when I get home or if its a shore dive and there is no need for the PDA, then synced directly to the PC).

I'll be using Java as the programming language and a simple web front end for the PDA and PC.

Does anyone have the details to retrieve the data from a Suunto Vytec DS and a Vyper 2? I've tried searching everywhere and can't find anywhere.

Thanks.

Sorry for the thread mining, but I'm keen to write my own dive software that I can use between a PDA and a PC (PDA on the boat, synced to PC when I get home or if its a shore dive and there is no need for the PDA, then synced directly to the PC).

I'll be using Java as the programming language and a simple web front end for the PDA and PC.

Does anyone have the details to retrieve the data from a Suunto Vytec DS and a Vyper 2? I've tried searching everywhere and can't find anywhere.

Thanks.

I'm not positive these cover your models, but take a look.
JDiveLog - an open source (GPL) scuba dive logbook written in Java >> Suunto Protocol Specs
I gave you the top page so you'd see it all.

Also, take a look at DiveLog
This is mac software, but Mark says he supports Vytek DS, not yet Vyper 2. Maybe he can provide a pointer to Vytek DS protocol info. However ... Mark seems to be very busy these days, he hasn't responded to one of my mails in about a month, and he hasn't been on Scubaboard since January. I hope he's just head-down working, and OK.

Lastly, there's a guy here recently doing another Suunto/mac implementation, adding models at a good clip. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app.html
Maybe he can help you with link protocols.

It's a real bummer that the manufacturers think there's something to be gained from keeping the protocols proprietary; they don't even sell the software. But at least, if the community is reverse-engineering it, let's share it. And not duplicate engineering or programming effort.

Dreamdives Sharkpoint...PC/PDA. I use it and love it, holds everything! From Dive Date to Photos!

SharkPoint

Here are a few thoughts from a user perspective regarding features that work.

1.) The UWATEC software works great for me. There are PC, Mac, Windows Mobile, and Palm versions.

2.) There is an infrared data transfer. Works slick. No cables, which caused me much grief with the Oceanic model I had.

Good Luck,

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom