Uncertified but going to Australia in 2 1/2 mos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. How long do the open water dives take? I know they can be done over two days, so I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday, and then fly out on Monday (18-24 hours later)
2. How far south do I need to go? I'm basically just going to look for the cheapest flight/hotel arrangement to do the open water dive, since that's the only reason I'll be going anywhere.

As others have said, most training agencies have 4 scuba dives split over 2 days once you've completed your classroom and pool work.

As for how far south, what's your tolerance for cold? Getting used to some cold might not be a bad thing if you want to dive near home... Most people can do only a couple of dive vacations a year, but if you dive locally, you can easily dive when you have free time.

Assuming you're looking for warmer waters, I'd probably let airfare shopping pick the destination. Look at Florida, and various locations around the Caribbean/Mexico, and see what's cheap. Cozumel/Cancun, Cayman Islands, Virgin Islands, Bahamas... Most areas around the Caribbean Sea have pretty decent scuba setups, at least the ones with reefs.

3. I was told by a company here in New York, that I need to get the Open Water certification instead of the SCUBA certification because it would mean that I would have severely limited (and costly) dive options in Australia unless I had the Open Water certification. I'm assuming when I get out there, I'll be diving in a group of 5-10 with a professional, if I only got the SCUBA certification, would I have to pay someone just for each of us (I'll be there with a friend who also isn't certified yet)
4. There seem to be many options, but can I assume that PADI is the one I should choose to ensure my certification would be valid whereever I dive in the world?

Assuming your company is talking from a PADI perspective, yes, you want Open Water IMHO. I will warn you that there are other terms for the same type of certification, such as NAUI's "Scuba Diver" which is their equivalent to Open Water, so when comparing different dive shops to get the training, keep that in mind. Even if who you dive with in Australia has the spare dive professionals to send with you, other places you go in the future may not, so having the training to dive without a chaperone is a good thing.

For most dive locations, including the liveaboard I did in Cairns, generally you'll get about a 5-10 minute briefing on the dive site: it's structure and layout, the sea life you're likely to see, and any max depth/time/tank pressure limits the boat wants you to follow. After that, you and your buddy (if you don't have a pre-arranged buddy, you'll get paired up with an "instabuddy" who's in the same boat, so to speak) hop in the water and dive. The dive op may send a divemaster into the water to conduct a tour, but not everyone does that, and many/most people will go off on their own in buddy pairs anyways. There are many variations on this, like Cozumel where the local rules require 1 divemaster in the water for every 6-8 divers, or Bonaire, where much of the diving is shore diving on your own, so no dive professional and no briefing for those dives.

Your choice of dive agency isn't a huge deal once certified. Everyone honors everyone else's C-card and treats them as equivalent. I did my basic training with NAUI and got a Scuba Diver card, followed by doing Advanced Open Water from PADI, Rescue from PADI, and am working on Master Scuba Diver from NAUI. The two agencies treated each other's cards as meeting the prerequisites for the new training, and I believe that's true for most agencies. The only place choice of agency might trip you up is doing the referral dives you're planning, and I don't think it will. If I understand correctly (not a dive professional; someone who is please correct me), PADI only allows referral dives to other PADI shops, whereas most others have universal referral systems where instructors from many agencies, including PADI, can sign off on your dives. This isn't a huge issue since PADI has a major presence worldwide, especially in the resort areas, so where you go for your referral will likely be PADI.

I'd probably talk to the shops in your area, see who can meet your schedule and who you get a good feeling from (interested in discovering and meeting your needs, doesn't look at you with $$$ in their eyes, etc), then ask about referral issues. Many people post here looking for what the best agency is, and over and over the best advice is to find a good shop and instructor, and not worry about the agency.

I keep meaning to get certified, but kept putting it off because there was no impending trip to make it needed.

Found out I'm going to Australia in the end of March, and now definitely need to get certified.

However, since I'm in New York, I obviously can't do the certification here because of the weather. So I have to split it up, and do the class/pool work in New York and then fly down south for the certification before I go to Austrlia.

So, the questions:
1. How long do the open water dives take? I know they can be done over two days, so I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday, and then fly out on Monday (18-24 hours later)
2. How far south do I need to go? I'm basically just going to look for the cheapest flight/hotel arrangement to do the open water dive, since that's the only reason I'll be going anywhere.
3. I was told by a company here in New York, that I need to get the Open Water certification instead of the SCUBA certification because it would mean that I would have severely limited (and costly) dive options in Australia unless I had the Open Water certification. I'm assuming when I get out there, I'll be diving in a group of 5-10 with a professional, if I only got the SCUBA certification, would I have to pay someone just for each of us (I'll be there with a friend who also isn't certified yet)
4. There seem to be many options, but can I assume that PADI is the one I should choose to ensure my certification would be valid whereever I dive in the world?

Any other help would be appreciated.

If you are interested you can pm me..I have access to a facility here in NY,the only facility with its own in house heated pool. Where in NY are you? I can complete all academic and confined water objectives here and issue you a referrral that you can use on your trip.I just finished a ow class yesterday that one of the students is headed off to Australia for a few months,for school, and he is doing exactly that.

Do your classes in NY, then do the required dives in the springs in Florida. I wouldn't recommend doing the boat dives (salt water) in Florida because it will be more likely to get canceled due to rough seas. Good luck with the classes and have fun in Australia! On my list, it says, I need to dive in Great Barrier Reef - someday I will!!! :)

I think you would be better going the referral route to certification
Take your class and pool in NY and get a referral for some place warm.
Flights to Miami or Orlando from NY shouldnt be to bad.

You will enjoy your down under dives more is you have all your cert dives pluss a few dives before you get there
Being a new diver myself, I am more relaxed and enjoy my dives more with each dive I make.

well, it's not "obvious" you can't do the cert in NY. I'm sure you can, but if it's your preference to dive warm water it's perfectly understandable. In that case I would do the referral and if you're willing to take a trip before Australia to get the OW dives done, why not. Lots of cheap flights to airports in Florida and places to do it. That way you won't have to take time in Australia or worry as much about the medical stuff there. I would try and allow an extra day in your certification trip if you can, in case stuff goes wrong with weather or whatever; if you don't need the extra time get a couple more "real" dives in. It will do you a lot of good to get that practice right after you get certified instead of waiting a couple months to dive for real.

PADI is widely recognized, but so are NAUI, SSI, SDI, YMCA, and others. You want to find a good class and not worry about the agency as much. Diving is fun but the training is not a thing to just get out of the way as easily and quickly as possible. I think there is rarely a good reason to do Scuba Diver, it's too limiting and you really want to learn all the material, not just some. Even if you are diving with a "group", you should still have a buddy, and you still need to know what you are doing and take responsibility for yourself.

hey hey,
off to oz, best place on earth (after cancun!)
i spent the best two years off my life in oz, working, traveling, its all good!
now, to the diving:
got to get to cairns or at least airlie beach (whitsunday islands) n.queenland, this is where its all happening, get certified in the most convienet place and get ona liveaboard to really appreicate what the g.b.r has to offer.
must do dive sites: (rumrunner liveaboard or mike ball)
nonki bommie
the cod hole
wheeler reef
osprey reef (SHARKS)
whitsunday isl (humback whales)
ss yongala (best wreck dive in thE world, well debatable but check it out)
or julian rocks in byron bay, big sharks and mantas
or fraiser/magnetic isl for tiger sharks.
let me know if you want more specific,drop me a pm, i ll be more than happy to advise.
austrailia to cozumel..... no comparison!

ben

My sister was in Australia last summer for 5 weeks. She actually got certified (AOW) while she was there. I know for some who are from Australia it may not seem like a big deal, but to her and to me (also both from New York), getting certified on the Great Barrier Reef was too cool for words!!!

I'm not saying to wait to get certified there, if you can do it here beforehand. Also, I think JetBlue is running some specials to Florida. Perhaps you can do your open water part there.

Thanks for the advice all. I've looked to find places that offer certification in New York, and all of them only run from May-November.

So the options look like either getting certified in Sydney or flying down to FLA. I'm leaning toward flying down to FLA, and trying to get certified in a lake or something (to protect against bad weather and high seas), and then do a dive in Sydney before diving off the GBR.

Thanks for the advice all. I've looked to find places that offer certification in New York, and all of them only run from May-November.

So the options look like either getting certified in Sydney or flying down to FLA. I'm leaning toward flying down to FLA, and trying to get certified in a lake or something (to protect against bad weather and high seas), and then do a dive in Sydney before diving off the GBR.

I can get you certified here in NY during the winter ,but the costs may be prohibitive being a dry suit will be used and that up's the cost of a course considerably.I advise to take academics and confined water here in NY and do training dives in Sydney.It would only take 4 dives-2 a day- to complete.Each day may be around 3 to 5 hrs..I sent you a pm/and answered your pm that you sent- on a course that I teach here in NY ..Any other questions feel free to call.

Back
Top Bottom