Uncertified but going to Australia in 2 1/2 mos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice all. I've looked to find places that offer certification in New York, and all of them only run from May-November.

So the options look like either getting certified in Sydney or flying down to FLA. I'm leaning toward flying down to FLA, and trying to get certified in a lake or something (to protect against bad weather and high seas), and then do a dive in Sydney before diving off the GBR.

dont most GBR liveaboards have instructors on board??? why dont you do the course during your trip??

dont most GBR liveaboards have instructors on board??? why dont you do the course during your trip??

Yes - and as long as you make sure you've pre-arranged for the medical exam on arrival in Cairns (very easy to do), its a great option - doesn't even cost that much more than just doing the live-aboard. The check-out dives include a lot of swimming around checking things out, so you don't really miss that much, if that is the concern

(But I definitely recommend doing the pool and coursework at home - why fly halfway around the world to spend hours in a classroom and pool.)

I agree with some others here. Why don't you do you certification in Australia itself ?
Although there are some exercises to be done, you can still look around and enjoy.

When going to Sydney look up Abyss dive center, they offer courses every weekend and you can even arrange a course on your schedule. I did multiple certifications with them when I was in Sydney and they are awesome.

Or you can opt to go straight to the GBR and do your certification on a liveaboard. Usually they offer 4 day trips with 3-4 dives a day. You can get certified in 1-1 1/2 days and still enjoy the rest of you dive cruise.

That was part of my question regarding how long the open water dives take. If it's merely a couple hours, then I can do my "certification" dives in Sydney before I go to Cairns, but if it's going to be two full days worth of dives, I don't want to spend two full days in Sydney doing certification dives (since I assume they are quite boring - extremely useful, but not really true "dives")
I can't speak for PADI, but I'll bet its pretty much the same... In SSI you are required to have a minimum of 4 Scuba dives for certification and you may not do more that 3 training dives in any 1 day. So, you must spread the dives over a minimum of 2 days. Also, SSI requires that all training dives must be to a minimum depth of 15 feet for 15 minutes and must include removing your scuba unit, changing the tank, and re-donning the scuba unit (if there is another dive that day).

You could check and see if the dive operator that you are going to be with participates in the Universal Referral program. Then you could take you class before you leave and do the check-out dives with the dive operator.

19 years ago - I did the same thing. Got certified in the winter in the states and did my open water dives off Lizard and Hamon Island. Wait until you are on the boat with your fellow divers and you tell them the barrier reef is the first time you are underwater - priceless.

Nothing like starting with the best.

Have a great trip.

finished the pool portion of the certification. Am going down to Houston over President's day to finish the open water dives.

Unfortunately, I ASSUMED that there would be dives near any major city that was near the water. So I bought the plane/hotel before lining up a dive. Apparently people don't dive in the Gulf of Mexico, so I'm going to be doing the dives in some quarry in Houston where the water is going to be 55 degrees.

Awesome!

Unfortunately, I ASSUMED that there would be dives near any major city that was near the water. So I bought the plane/hotel before lining up a dive. Apparently people don't dive in the Gulf of Mexico, so I'm going to be doing the dives in some quarry in Houston where the water is going to be 55 degrees.

Awesome!

Think of it as practice for local diving, where 7mm wetsuits or drysuits are the norm! :D

I didn't know anyone still did a Scuba Diver Cert ... wow. Really, for real? Naaaaa you're just pulling our leg ... that's it ... come on ... do I see a smile starting? Could be?

Back
Top Bottom