Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going down the same path right now.

I started a fourth element arctic set + drygloves with the g1 liners. I did a 45min dive in 37* water and wasn't frozen. I was colder than I wanted to be and plan on adding a base layer soon.

I'm going down the same path right now.

I started a fourth element arctic set + drygloves with the g1 liners. I did a 45min dive in 37* water and wasn't frozen. I was colder than I wanted to be and plan on adding a base layer soon.

What type of suit?

I know Amazon has 230gsm marino wool for ~ $80 for the set.

I believe I'm in for getting the Arctic set. I hope I have good mobility in it. For some reason the chart says I should be a medium, but I wear XL in everything else. Does anyone suggest going for the L instead? Are they cut a hair small?

What type of suit?

I know Amazon has 230gsm marino wool for ~ $80 for the set.

I believe I'm in for getting the Arctic set. I hope I have good mobility in it. For some reason the chart says I should be a medium, but I wear XL in everything else. Does anyone suggest going for the L instead? Are they cut a hair small?

I wear XL in almost all shirts. I went into a store and tried on the Arctic gear when I bought mine. I took an XL top. I was surprised at the leggings, though. I normally wear L shorts and sweatpants, but I ended up buying size M leggings. They were very snug, but on me, I like the fit better than size L.

I wear XL in almost all shirts. I went into a store and tried on the Arctic gear when I bought mine. I took an XL top. I was surprised at the leggings, though. I normally wear L shorts and sweatpants, but I ended up buying size M leggings. They were very snug, but on me, I like the fit better than size L.

So I guess I'm stuck trying them on somewhere before buying to see how I like the fit....at least I'll know what I'm getting I guess. I'm not sure if DRiS has a return policy, maybe I'll buy both sets L / M and let them know one is coming back.

what exactly do the weights mean? 150g, 200g, etc.?
The mass of one square meter of garment. Says a bit about insulation ability, but not everything about it.

The mass of one square meter of garment. Says a bit about insulation ability, but not everything about it.

I'm slowly figuring that out. Would be really nice if manf. posted the gsm along with the the thermal rating and thickness....but that'll never happen. Easier to keep people buying stuff if they don't know too much.

So I guess I'm stuck trying them on somewhere before buying to see how I like the fit....at least I'll know what I'm getting I guess. I'm not sure if DRiS has a return policy, maybe I'll buy both sets L / M and let them know one is coming back.
I only have one experience, but I exchanged something for a different size with DRIS (a pair of drysuit boots that I bought way too large) and if I remember correctly it was no hassle at all.

Wool is much heavier than synthetic so for the most part it’s much heavier for a given insulation quality, 200g fleece is warmer than 200g wool.
The great thing with wool is its insulation ability when damp or wet. It's a killer base layer, but far from ideal as a middle layer. You want a "dry" base layer and maximum gas holding capability from your middle layer. A wool base layer and a synthetic middle layer is close to ideal.

I'm slowly figuring that out. Would be really nice if manf. posted the gsm along with the the thermal rating and thickness....but that'll never happen. Easier to keep people buying stuff if they don't know too much.
If the material is the same, you can compare gsm. If the materials are different, well, you're on your own.

The great thing with wool is its insulation ability when damp or wet. It's a killer base layer, but far from ideal as a middle layer. You want a "dry" base layer and maximum gas holding capability from your middle layer. A wool base layer and a synthetic middle layer is close to ideal.

All my experience with them has been great, I'm sure if I let them know what I was doing it wouldn't be an issue at all. Top notch, I wish they were my LDS like some lucky individuals out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom