Underwater Coffee Table Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for such a well thought out reply Clay, i appreciate that. SOme definite food for thought.
Local would be a good way to go, unfortunately i don't get into the water that much up here. Mind you just got a new housing so i should be getting out to try it eh?

Veering a little off topic - of all the coffee table books I own on UW (about 10 I would guess) one stands out incredibly. Thats Gutsy Tuason's and Cu Unjeng's "Anilao".

Its given as a ceremonial gift from the President of the Philippines to visiting dignitries even. What really makes this book stand out is the quality of printing, its done on a "silver" backgound (sorry dont know the tech terminology) and the photos just shine out at you, just like the orig slides. Defintely worth anyones time to take a look.

This is a great thread...thanks all for the contributions. I don't want to publish anything (maybe in a 100 years when I get some outstanding images), but I like to sticky beak into the world of others.

FWIW...I hope that my pygmy seahorse comment was taken in the vein it was intended: should include ALL of those things we see photographed essentially the same way to death, the seahorse was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Alcina, I have to say that I thought the same thing about the pygmy seahorses until I actually got the opportunity to shoot one....they are so hard to find and see...my opinion changed after seeing how hard it is to get a decent shot of one

Live and learn...

Karl

kdietz:
Alcina, I have to say that I thought the same thing about the pygmy seahorses until I actually got the opportunity to shoot one....they are so hard to find and see...my opinion changed after seeing how hard it is to get a decent shot of one

Live and learn...

Karl

Bollocks, I don't seem to be doing a good job here!

I love to see images of <insert subject here> and I do admire the skill it takes to get a good image of even the most common sea star! I take the same shot over and over again coz you never know when it will just be perfect.

I was talking specifically about what I would want to see in an expensive coffee table book of photographs. I want to see beautiful images, and some of those images will probably have been done before in a similar fashion, but the majority of them in a perfect world would take a known subject and really KAPOW it.

I don't know if I am explaining this right or not...I certainly do not want to take away anything from any image that any photographer captures - this is not an activity for the faint-hearted as my deleted file knows oh too well.

Bollocks back to you...whatever that means :wink:

I think we are in violent agreement....just hard to type it out right :D

Karl

Bollocks! Are you an Aussie or a Pommie?!? One of my all time favourite words to use here in N. America to confuse people...Spent a long while living with English and Aussies. Alcina, are you from Perth? I used to live on Aberdeen St. and worked at Mama Marias restaurant.

Anyhoo, i do know what you mean about the Pygmies and all the rest of the stuff. New and refreshing views of different things are what interests me too.

Have a look at Alexander Mustard's site if you have a chance, he has a great Pygmy shot. www.amustard.com as well as some interestingly new approaches to things.

Having tried to take some shots of those guys in the Phils. with a Nik V and framer a few years back they are hugely difficult to get a shot of.

Hi Mike!

Let me start by saying I enjoy your posts, its divers like yourself that make coming to this board both entertaining and informative. Glad I signed up!

Regarding your query, the other posters here have given some excellent ideas but if you want the icing on the cake, there is an underwater coffee table about 10 kick cycles East of the van in Dutch Springs. Sorry, couldn't resist, but its TRUE!

Good luck in your search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom