Underwater Hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep SEa,

Thanks a bunch... that's the kind of stuff I Was looking for.. some good food for thought (about getting some good food for ingestion!)

HEre is PADI's reply to my letter:

Dear Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the opportunity to
answer your questions. You are to be commended for your interest
continuing your diver education by participating in a PADI Underwater
Hunter course.

PADI has certainly not turned its back on underwater hunters. There is
a large number of PADI Instructors certified to conduct the PADI
Underwater Hunter Distinctive Specialty and even more applying for
certification each year. As a Distinctive Specialty, each instructor
applying prepares and submits a course outline that reflects the
techniques, marine life, fish and game laws, equipment requirements,
environmental concerns, local protocol, etc. for the area in which he
will be conducting the course.

To get the details about a PADI Underwater Hunter Distinctive Specialty
course in your area, contact your local PADI Dive Centers/Resorts. You
can find a listing of all the PADI Dive Centers/Resorts in your area and
around the world at the PADI website http://www.padi.com.

Thank you again Rob, for the chance to help. Please feel free to
contact me again by phone at 949-858-7234 x383, by fax at 949-858-2941
or by email at davew@padi.com.

Sincerely,
David Walls
Educational Consultant
Training and Quality Management

DUCA, no problem, when your ready to set up your gun, let me know. I can give you some tips I learned the hard way.

Hey Duca, how'd your dives go last weekend? I heard the water temp at Pennyrile was 48f. That sounds awfully cool to me :eek:

Charlie and Dennis did a night dive Sat too. Charlie mentioned you guys spoke.That was the first time I'd met those guys.I really thought alot of them.

Are you now an advanced open water diver? Hope all is well.

According to my comp it was 43 at 74'... Cold!... I found the weak link in my thermal protection: 1mm short top boots. I already ordered 5mm high tops.

It was charlie and dennis that I did the night dive with.. we had a blast! Good guys.

Am I an AOW? Well, let's put it this way: as long as I haven't turned in my quizzes, I'm not official, and if I'm still a student, my rental gear for the Florida trip this weekend is free. :wink:
The forms will go in the mail on Monday. I start Rescue Diver on Tuesday.

Just for your information I let you know that here in Greece it is NOT allowed for scubadivers to hunt fishes ! Spearfishing with scubadiving is forbiden by law while freediving spearfishing is allowed everywhere !

Personally I completely agree with the above legislation but this is a different issue...

Manogr

Spearfishing while free diving is NOT allowed everywhere. There are many areas where spearfishing is not allowed at all, other areas where fishing of any kind is not allowed. In the Bahamas, you can spearfish while freediving, but not with a speargun. You are limited to devices without a trigger.

WWW™

Ops...sorry...

In the above post I made there was a typing error that completely changed my post ! Now I edit the message but for those that read it before note that in greece it is NOT allowed to hunt during scuba (not it is NOW allowed as I wrote before :)

Thanx,

Manogr...

Manogr, in California - you can Scuba while spearing fish at the moment. Who knows what will happen in the future?

However, most of the spearfisherman who are serious, skin dive. Most game fish are scared off by the bubble noise. I have seen fish bolt as I swim up to them and off gas. If you really want to cheat, use a rebreather! You can swim up to most fish that would be impossible with open circuit.

Back
Top Bottom