Underwater Hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not unique with such feelings. However, it's a mistake to confuse "feelings" and musings with objective action. The hunting instinct is a blessing and a curse but it is here to stay. In a populous world the limitations of hunter gatherer exploitation have been exceeded. In a civilized society controls are imposed to limit the taking of game while allowing the hunter to continue to blend with nature in the sacred act of animal sacrifice. Yes, hunting, whether subsistance or not, is closely bound to religious feelings. It may be blurred in our helter skelter society but it's there, still. To deny this privelege to those who seek it would be to subvert evolution and nudge individuals to seek outlets for this drive in the community of man itself. In other words, a perversion of the original mandate of nature.

The objective action I speak of is more than game laws. The primal re-creation which comes with the pursuit of hunting is threatened by confusing profits and killing; in other words, "commercial" fishing and hunting. The quest for profit overrides the inhibitions which might normally lead to conservation of the natural world. This applies also to subsistance hunting where mere survival leads to desperate poaching and indiscriminate killing. The complete extinction of ancient animal species in Europe and North America can be traced to subsistance hunting. This is happening in Africa and every other third world country right now.

Yes, I've been to the UK and seen the fishermen lined up to catch an award winning two inch dace or darter. It's shocking, no other word for it. In China, along with everything else, even common sparrows are on the edge of extinction. It is enough to bring a man to tears.

Some of those things alluded to by "Deepsea" are well known abuses which occur in the USA and elsewhere. Gigantic gill net and purse seine operations supported by aircraft, some of which destroy the very foundation of the food chain; shrimp nets which legally kill everything that swim---such things are beyond the pale. However, the average gourmand sitting at a table in "Red Lobster" couldn't care less.

It is a form of sacrilege.

There is within us all the ability to feel as budgy does about animal life while acting as devjr suggests.I value all life and try to tread as lighly as possible.Unless you are Amish or some other similar religious group which completely avoids modern technology you ain't got no "moral high ground"this particularly applies to those "organic only"fruits whose produce is shipped on vehicles pouring out hydrocarbons across the country when they could have bought local produce with a much lesser impact even tho grown non-organically.You cannot live purely on emotion or purely on logic or instinct.Devjr allusion to greed subverting the natural instincts to hunt/fish is a perfect example why.

Hocky,

Contrary to your posting, it is NOT legal to take Blue Grouper by spear AT ALL in Sydney (or the rest of NSW for that matter). Spearfishing blue gropers recently cost two men over $10,000 - read the article for details of convictions against two men less than 12 months ago. I remember only a few weeks ago reading in The Age (Melbourne newspaper) about outraged locals in Sydney when a snorkeller took a blue grouper with a speargun off one of the beaches, and that local dive stores were offering free dive courses to anyone that could give information leading to a conviction! Apparently this individual blue grouper had been handfed by local divers for 20+ years. I remember only 2 years ago that there was a limit of 2 blue gropers a day on rod and reel, and any other method of taking them was prohibited. Apparently that bag limit still stands.

I've got no qualms about hunting or spearfishing (I've done both, and still own a speargun), but make sure you know the regulations, and for gawd's sake, if you see a whopping great fish coming up to you looking for a handout because every other human it's seen in the last 20 years has given it a piece of fish or squid, let it be!

Duca,

Part of being a hunter is learning your prey - if you want to be a spearfisherman, get out into the water and study the fish. But I'm pretty sure that anyone hunting sharks (you asked about them before) would get very short thrift in the dive community, regardless of the legality. And be responsible - one divers' actions reflect on all of us - let's keep government attention away from our sport.

Ben

Hunter course

Don't think you have to take a course in everything you do underwater.

The more important thing is tho understand the marine life in the area of were you are going to hunt. and also ask yourself why you are hunting.

If you are hunting just for the sport, I think our marine inviroment is to fragile for that impact on it. if is is to subsatain yourself or family then the sacrifice to the enviroment can be justified.

for several years I substained myself almost purley form the ocean, better than Kraft Dinner.

knowing your prey will tell you how you will hunt them, and of course any laws regulating hunting in your area.

the fun part is trying new techniques etc.

The King Mackeral(scomberomorus cavalla) and its cousin the Spanish
Mackeral(somberomorus maculatus) are similar in appearance and habits.
The primary difference is size, the King grows to much larger size,
hence the name. These fish are slender and somewhat elongated. They are
silvery on the sides which runs to olive shades above. There are several
yellow spots on the sides which are most prominent on the Spanish. Both
are excellent eating. Size for size, the fish have more edible meat than
other species. The head and bones are small and these fish yield more meat than large boned basses and red drum. The mackeral swims at depths of 10 to 40 feet with an undulating motion, one might say almost "snakelike". This motion
contrasts sharply with tuna which swim with quick, short strokes, and
some jacks which employ broad, slow sweeps. Seen from above, the
mackeral presents a dark, almost black, slender shape which swims on a
deliberate course with undulating motion. There may be one fish or
several, usually three or four smaller fish or a single large fish. Seen
from the side, these fish may be difficult to see in detail. The mirror
scales diffuse light in such a way that the colors and spots are
difficult to see. One must concentrate on the outline and motion.

The hunting arena is preferably water with 30-40 feet visibility,
moderate to no current, in a zone above or near a wreck or other
structure. Off VA Beach, the best hunting time is August and September.
The freediver should be equipped with long fins and a fairly long
speargun loaded with rubber bands of only moderate traction. Long
precise shots are required, penetration is not a problem with these soft
fleshed fish. Be prepared to miss three shots for every hit, this is
normal. The action is akin to dove shooting. A school will be easier to
approach than a single fish. Let the fish come to you. Otherwise, when
fish are spotted, swim above them until an intercept is possible by
diving at a steep angle. An approach from above is less likely to spook
the fish than swimming toward them from the side. If the fish spook, do
not chase them, go vertical and look for the fish to make another pass.
An initial approach from below also works. Carefully track a single fish
allowing for lead, squeeze the trigger. Do not "horse" the speared fish
unless barracuda are seen. If cuda are in the area, the fish must be
brought in close immediately. Be aware that mackeral spook from
splashing and hand motions. Do not fumble with the gun or attempt to
stabilize your position with hand motions.

The best way to find mackeral is with your ears. Listen to fishing
reports and be prepared for an early start. (Fisherman are everywhere
during the season and their extensive meanderings are a sort of sampling
mechanism). Don't hog the site and leave after a couple of hours,
hopefully with some fish that are hard won in a most sporting and
thrilling manner.

Notes on equipment: I use Biller 54" teak gun, Dessault fins, Scubapro
"Frameless" or Ocean Reef "Reef" mask.I also use a small flag sold by
Bandito. This flag was designed by a friend of mine and I participated
in trials tests back in 1984. I absolutely recommend the use of this
flag. The flag consists of a cloth pennant fastened to a thin plastic
staff about two feet long. The staff is inserted into a pendulum weight
mounted on the diver's weight belt. A rubber weight belt is recommended.
This item is available from Blue Water Hunters.

Good Hunting,
Dennis

Mackeral around here are about the easiest fish to catch, though they are not that big, those fish are so voratious they will snap at anythink, the fishermen pull them in two and three at a time. Must be hard to shoot with a spear gun. In the Med in the 60's people used a single band and a light trident head for small fish.

The only fish that we have which snap at every(real) bait are the Bluefish and the occasional baracuda. Blues look somewhat like a streamlined Pirana. They grow to about 15 pounds and can take off a finger. However, they are only dangerous to string fishers and bathers. When they attack bathers (in Florida) they leave impressive wounds. Speared Blues do not try to bite the diver.

Spanish Mackeral run 2-5 lbs. In VA, Kings typically are in the 5 pound range offshore and up to 40 pounds inshore. Record is about 70lbs. The reason for the larger ones close to shore has to do with migration and feeding patterns. The spearo must be careful of the sharp teeth.

String fishers catch Mackeral by trolling. However, Spanish can sometimes be caught by casting a small Hopkins spoon with a fast retrieve. Kings are sometimes caught with a live bait floated over a deep reef.

Oh, I forgot. A fish called the Boston Mackeral or Atlantic Mackeral is caught off the VA coast in the way you describe. They arrive in the thousands, are about 2 lbs weight, and bite voraciously. The "run" is in Feb so I have never seen one underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom