Underwater Hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys

I take it that you are all divers? And you dive because you like what you see down there and I guess would like to see more of...well, everything right? Why on earth with the world the way it is, with the oceans being overfished, where species disappear daily, do you want to take a gun down there and kill what you love seeing?

The addage, yeah but I only kill what I eat doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Sure the early pioneers spearfished, but they don't now and most of them admit that they made massive mistakes and certainly wouldn't do it again give the chance.

Spearfishing on SCUBA is against the law here in Australia, and given the chance I'd ban it altogether.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Hocky

If so, you are way off-base.

What do you think the percentage of precious ocean wildlife killed by spearfishing SCUBA divers vs the commercial fishing industry is?

OTOH, if you don't eat seafood, I can respect your position, although I'll continue to excercise my right to disagree.

Anti-hunting is anti-hunting, whether above or below the water. If you can muster the resources to own all the fish, I guess you can keep the rest of us from killing and eating them.
Your presumption about why some of us choose to dive is also unqualified. You have no idea why I chose to dive... maybe I got certified just so I could run some game fish through with a pointy stick.

If thats why you got certified then I think that you are not only an idiot but diving for the wrong reasons. Just because they are there doesn't mean that you have to kill them! The fishing industry certainly kills a great deal more fish than divers on SCUBA, thats a given, but it doesn't help matters when divers with guns go down there and help out a little.

The grey nurse shark was nearly extinct in the early 1970's largely due to the fact that they were blamed for 90% of all fatal attacks. Ron and Valerie Taylor were two people who helped propagate the myth and led the charge with shotgun headed spears. Many years later it was discovered that they are in fact a passive shark and wern't responsible for any attacks at all. Ron and Valerie admit their mistake and said that if they were given another chance they wouldn't do it.

Peter Benchly has stated that if he had known what damage JAWS would have done to the worlds shark populations the book would never have been written.

I just don't get it. Most divers dive to see the wonders that are down there, why on earth would you want to dive and dive with an aim to killing something that you enjoy looking at???

By the way I used to eat fish, but when I started diving 13 years ago I stopped. Also...and I'm starting to calm down now, I didn't mean to call you an idiot, but I sincerely hope that you have a better reason to dive than just to spear fish.

Hocky

Like I said, I can respect your position since you choose not to eat seafood. I've been dealing with anti-hunters for years and I don't have much patience for hypocrites. Your position is obviously well thought out and honorable. Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand that other valid positions on this matter exist. The tides of fortune often control who has the moral high ground and in today's world (outside of "stranded in the wilderness" scenarios) the anti-hunters have the luxury of pointing out that harvesting our own food is not necessary.

BTW, I have several reasons for diving, with "looking at neat-o things I don't want to eat or have mounted as trophies" being around 5th.

Hocky, I have a similar opinion to you on this matter...however I found this thread very informative.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and views of different matters - spearfishing included.

I can't even watch sharks attacking seals etc - I am just a wimp when it comes to things like that....!!!!

One thing I would like to ask to all those that may have some idea....why is it legal to free dive and spearfish and not in scuba in some places????? I can understand that it probably can be tricky in scuba with the bubbles frightening but theres always a re-breather...why cant you spearfish in them?

Hi Guys

Sorry for taking the high ground...apologies all around especially to you Duca.

The reason for not allowing hunting on SCUBA here in Australia is because of the advantage it gives the hunter over the hunted. If you are down there with them with a spear gun then its a great deal easier to kill them. For example, they have a fish here called the Blue Grouper, they grow large, up to 100 pounds and unfortunately for the grouper they are extremely curious.

When divers are down they will come up to you and follow you around curious to see what you are doing. The issue is if the fish is going to come to you then you shouldn't be allowed to kill it. Its too easy and the fish have no advantage, or protection for that matter.

Thats just one fish, and if you happen to spear it while on SCUBA and you get caught there is a $22,000 fine in place.

Again, a few years back they were hunted to near extinction and a total ban was put on hunting them. Now they have made a complete recovery, and its actually ok to spear them while snorkeling.

So I'd say its a fair advantage thing more than anything.

Hocky

Hocky, focus your anger at the long line, gill net and other commercial fisherman who are raping the ocean. They throw many dead and almost dead fish along with many other things caught away. The numbers of fish they take and kill are unreal. On the other hand you have a few divers who only go out to spear fish for a meal. They do little if any damage.

Also, maybe someone should spend some time with anglers teaching him or her how to take a fish off a hook that is not going to be taken. I personally have not seen any scuba diver/s that have went down to kill fish just for the heck of it. I would be against that.

I spent most of my time using a video camera to take fish. However, every once in awhile a fresh Yellowtail or Halibut is nice for the BBQ!

Curious. I hadn't noticed it, but no Underwater Hunter Specialty Course Outline is included with the PADI Specialty Course Manual. Don't know why. :huh:

It is still an offered specialty, but in many places UW Hunting is not permitted with scuba gear.

I'm an avid spearfisherman and I never took a class. There are a lot of people that like to grip about underwater hunting but I just ignore them. I'm pretty good at it but it took practice and patience. The most important aspect to me was species identification and know the regulations. One if the biggest problems is estimating the size of the fish. Where I dive Ling Cod are the fish of choice but you can only shoot them if they are over 24" and guessing the lenght takes practice. When in doubt don't shoot it. Knowing the different edibles in your area is the most critical aspect. Knowing what clams, scallops, fish and crabs to take, limits and size.

Welcome to the sport! If you can't find an instructor then ask around, I know I'm always willing to take a newbie on a dive to teach them. I would rather teach them how to do it properly than have them waste animals.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom