Underwater metal detecting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverchet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan on trying to find jewerly at the local beach with an uw metal detector. I would like to here any tips or warnings.

Indiana Dunes state park. After Sept. 2nd they allow beach metal detecting. They don't allow scuba from shore and I've yet to get an offical answer about anchoring offshore and diving up close. The ranger on the phone thought snorkling from shore would be allowed.

The metal detecting is great on the beaches, and underwater on the beaches. Be prepared to dig lots! lol...Pulse indication, until you get good with them, can read a lot of stuff not worth digging.

I use the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and have been having a blast! Nothing major for finds yet..but I love the anticipation!

Hi there,

Ok, so a bit off topic here... sorry to hijack (mods maybe you'll want to split this, not sure) but I'm desperate so bear with me here please. :) I need the help of people (or a person) who has underwater metal detection equipment.

Lost my engagement ring while swimming yesterday in Lake Simcoe in Ontario, Canada. I am trying every possible means of getting this ring back.... someone suggested I contact local diving schools in the area to recruit assistance but I don't know of any and really, the water was too shallow for a dive but metal detectors would be great for this if able to be used underwater. I did a search in Google and ended up finding this board.

Any suggestions or know of anyone who might be up to the task of helping me find my lost engagement ring who has underwater equipment for the job? I am offering a $500 reward for its successful return.

The water was really shallow so really don't even need a diver per se but just someone who is skilled at uncovering treasure in water in general. the water is very clear at this beach,considering it's freshwater and not saltwater so the job should be fairly easy (you can probably even do it standing up and walking in the water - dont' need to dive/swim as it's so shallow where we were).

For me, a non-diver and non-treasure-hunting-professional, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack - I'm not sure if there are professionals who are hired for this sort of thing but I can use all the help I can get.

If you're up to the task please PM me or email me at screaming {underscore} success {at} rogers {dot} com - I will give you exact location details. Generally speaking, the location is in Beaverton, Ontario which is part of Brock Township, in Durham region on Lake Simcoe.

I know the odds are few that I'll ever get my ring but I just can't rest easy knowing that I didn't try and do something.

Any suggestions and/or offer of assistance is appreciated. :)

Thanks so much and either way have a nice day.

I was, before I scrolled down, going to leave a smart comment to the metal detectives.

Take the rings and watches off. Too many times a treasure has been searched for only to find it on the wrist/hand.

Scubawishes, if I was closer than thousands of miles I'd help out. Best of luck.

Call the local diveshops in your area. Ask them if they know anyone who has a detector. Also sometimes their are local clubs that have folks that can handle the water. Good luck

I absolutely love underwater detecting. I picked up my detector, a Minelab Excalibur 2 a month ago and it has already paid for itself. :) Last time out I hit 1 gold ring, 1 gold class ring (class of 1983), 1 gold mens wedding band and an old silver ring, along with enough coin to pay for my gas for the trip :). All within the span of an hour.

Info on my detector can be found here.

I've worked with a few detectors myself. They all have ups and downs. I went for this one in the end and I have no regrets :) If you want an underwater detector this one is great.

You will read many reviews, both positive and negative for every detector. Each company has their "fanboys" that hate every other company. I highly recommend going and looking at each detector you are thinking about. Ask to take it outside and do some testing. Take the time to read the manual.... it can get frustrating when you first start using one. And don't give up! The treasure is just waiting to be found.

:)

Well, here is a warning.

When ascending to the surface, take off the head phones. It would be bad to go up to the surface and get hit by a boat because you had the headphones on and couldn't hear it coming. Of course if you are close to the beach i doubt there will be boats though but you can never assume anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom