underwater navigating tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storm1fishing

Registered
Reaction score
Call me lazy , but has anyone got any info on some sort of underwater GPS system that one could use instead of a compass. An electronic device that you could set your "0" position ( on the boat or at your entry point on the beach ) , and then do your dive without worrying about how many kicks you've taken in any particular direction , and then just follow the arrow or digital instuctions ( directions )back to your "0" position.
This would be great on night dives or where visibility was poor.

Where are all the electronic bofs out there? :06:

check out this thread on GPS

In the shop we have this unit - I have to check the brand/name - You hang one part on the boat and you take the other part with you. If I am informed correctly it starts to beep when you are headed towards the boat and it gets stronger the closer you get. It costs something like $1000...not something for the casual diver, but interesting.

OK. Stupid question. Do you just hook it up to the anchor or mooring line when you jump in off the boat? I mean, if it's your own personal device, as opposed to the boat's, you would have to hook it up. Would a boat operator get annoyed if you did that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom