Underwater Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Epinephelus once bubbled...
In conditions requiring mittens...

What kind of conditions require mittens?

cornfed once bubbled...
Any conditions the diver deems so.
This is not a cookie-cutter endeavor - personally I've never encountered conditions where I felt mittens were required for me, but that's irrelevant. The question was how best to handle signals for gas pressure while wearing mittens. Answers that don't include mittens don't answer the question, no matter how well intentioned.
E.

cornfed once bubbled...

Conditions involving kittens?

:)

Dom

Epinephelus once bubbled...
The question was how best to handle signals for gas pressure while wearing mittens. Answers that don't include mittens don't answer the question, no matter how well intentioned.

Very true, but...

I feel that if you're going to ask a question you have to be open to alternatives as well.

over here in new zealand "T" means time.....time to go back to where eva you started so if you say our turning point is 100bar you would go back to the boat or to the beach..or where ever

ive never seen mittens on any one but, when its snowing

id would be sooo hard to properly do anything in them

wouldnt fully fitted gloves be warmer???

I sometimes experience with Japanese divers here in Guam, many of them very inexperienced. We generally use "bar" (200 bar is full, around 50 it's time to think about ascending.) Usually it's pretty obvious how to signal air pressures between 50 & 200....for example, 120 is just one hand, flashing 1-2-0. "80" is two hands, showing eight fingers, then a "0". I had a diver once make an "8" by holding her hands like the way you'd hold binoculars, except vertical. Had another diver signal me "180 bar"...fine, except we'd been diving already 30 minutes or so....80 or 100 bar would be more likely. I checked, and it turned out she was reading her COMPASS (180 degrees, south) rather than her SPG.

Anyhow, we always cover this stuff in the briefing, how to signal air pressure, and my "show me your air pressure" signal. Sometimes, only half jokingly, I add another signal...holding my hand up about my face level, palm facing me....then turn it so my palm is now facing you. This signal essentially means "I realize you can't seem to understand what those little needles & numbers on the console mean....turn it towards me & I'll read it for you." You see a lot of things like this when you have "once a year" divers. :D

Chris
www.letsdiveguam.com (typo editted...in case my mom reads this!)

cantlogon once bubbled...
Had another diver signal me "180 bar"...fine, except we'd been diving already 30 minutes or so....80 or 100 bar would be more likely. I checked, and it turned out she was reading her COMPASS (180 degrees, south) rather than her SPG.

www.letsdiveguam.com (typo editted...in case my mom reads this!)
Ha Ha Ha
Nice one , Chris.

Back
Top Bottom