Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying several brands of undies over the next few weeks, so I give my review of them as I try them out.

I'll report as I dive the different brands. The water temp around here is only going to drop. Thank goodness I have some friends who are willing to let me try their undies before I buy my new ones.

Interesting. I have wanted to try the arctic for a while, but lack anyone to loan me a set, or any water cold enough around here :)

For me, the DUI 400G + 12MM hood + dry gloves was good for 88 mins in Lake Washington at approx 46F, and we were scootering so not kicking too much (although the sheer terror of scootering in zero vis on my 2nd scooter dive may have kept me warm!)

In addition to the 88 mins, I was probably in the water messing with the scooter for 20 mins while RJacks wife had to come and bring him his gloves he had forgotten :)

I have never used it below 40F though, and hope not to have to!

Remember that you lose 25% of your body heat through your head. About 1/2 of that through your face. Perhaps you need a better hood??

...we were scootering so not kicking too much...
Scooter+cold=much colder!
Remember that you lose 25% of your body heat through your head. About 1/2 of that through your face. Perhaps you need a better hood??

Yeah, no matter what underwear I choose, I'm ordering an Otter Bay 12mm hood.

You can also give the Pinnacle Merino lined 7mm hood a try, I didn't yet manage to dive it in the water below 10 degrees C, but felt nowhere near cold with it at that temperature.

I'd hate having to talk to anybody wearing the 12mm hood on the surface, I have a hearing problem with the 7mm already... :D

...I'd hate having to talk to anybody wearing the 12mm hood on the surface, I have a hearing problem with the 7mm already... :D

You say that like it's a bad thing! :D:D

My Otter Bay 12mm hood is QUIET on the surface.

Oh, and for those wondering, they're about $90 for a custom hood. Cricket will fax you the instructions on how to measure your dome. Fax them back and you'll get a custom hood.

Trust her when she says it'll "break in."

Rick...

Are you wearing dry gloves? I know in the winter that about 40 min into my dive is when I start getting cold. I have tried different undergarments but I am not a fan of anything heavy with my compressed neoprene drysuit. I put dry gloves on my suit and it makes all the difference.

I wear a thin rubber glove, with 100% wool gloves with them and that works perfectly in 46 degree water of Puget Sound. I also dive 2-4 pounds heavier in the winter to put extra air in my suit.

From what I've seen, the Extreme seems pretty equivalent to the 200g Thinsulate, and the Extreme Plus to the 400g Thinsulate. I don't think I'd try ice diving in a 200g!

Some folks wear the extreme here in N. FL. for cave diving. It seems to work nicely for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom