UNEXSCO: Freeport--opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yazmeen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the board, and actually, I'm the non-diver in the family, but I usually plan the trips. We're considering a trip to Freeport in July and are thinking about staying at Pelican Bay and diving through UNEXSO, which we've done before (my husband is the diver). Its been a while, though, so if anyone has any updates on UNEXSO as far as quality goes, or any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Yaz

Just got back from Freeport on May 6, small group (20 divers)from a dive club stayed at Pelican Bay and dove with UNEXSCO. Overall Pelican Bay and UNESCO facilities are very nice (really cleaned up and spruced up from what other diver said), try to get rooms near the pool (old section of the resort), rooms are very nice with ground floor rooms having a patio door opening into the poor area where the "Yellowtail Grill" is located. Food is good at the grill (really big hamburger and fries about $8 or $9, huge greek salad for $7.50, local beer $3 or $4) service is only barely average but that is kinda typical I think everywhere there. Dive shop is right next door, have lockers for overnite storage (bring you own lock), two nice big boats and two smaller boats, Angelo, Christina, Stephen and Jarvis where our DM/Guides, Christina is absolutely fantastic after she opens up. Dives are a short boat ride, Seastar wreck, Thoe's wreck, Poppa Docs, Picasso's gallery all good sites. Did Poppa Docs at nite also. Do the Dolphin encounter dive if you havent done it before, kinda expensive ($165) but unforgetable. Oh, forget the best, Shark Alley, in the water 5 minutes and had sharks swimming around us, no shark feeding or anything, just checking us out. Have more info or pic if you are interested.

Thanks KCMo, the info was helpful. Its good to hear that things are still pretty nice there. We had good experiences with UNEXSCO before, and its a nice hotel and area for me, the snorkeler and sun bunny. I appreciate your reply.

Dive carefully!!!

Yaz

KCMoDiver:
Just got back from Freeport on May 6, small group (20 divers)from a dive club stayed at Pelican Bay and dove with UNEXSCO. Overall Pelican Bay and UNESCO facilities are very nice (really cleaned up and spruced up from what other diver said), try to get rooms near the pool (old section of the resort), rooms are very nice with ground floor rooms having a patio door opening into the poor area where the "Yellowtail Grill" is located. Food is good at the grill (really big hamburger and fries about $8 or $9, huge greek salad for $7.50, local beer $3 or $4) service is only barely average but that is kinda typical I think everywhere there. Dive shop is right next door, have lockers for overnite storage (bring you own lock), two nice big boats and two smaller boats, Angelo, Christina, Stephen and Jarvis where our DM/Guides, Christina is absolutely fantastic after she opens up. Dives are a short boat ride, Seastar wreck, Thoe's wreck, Poppa Docs, Picasso's gallery all good sites. Did Poppa Docs at nite also. Do the Dolphin encounter dive if you havent done it before, kinda expensive ($165) but unforgetable. Oh, forget the best, Shark Alley, in the water 5 minutes and had sharks swimming around us, no shark feeding or anything, just checking us out. Have more info or pic if you are interested.

Welcome to the boards!!!

2 years ago I dove with a group who had this experience, Three days in a row they left to go do the Dolphin Dive with UNEXSO. On all three days after getting their gear all set up and waiting on the boat for 1/2 an hour, they were told that the dive was cancelled because the trainer was ill. 2 days they missed out on diving. The other day they made it back in time to go out with us.

I've also heard of them making very experienced divers do a shallow dive with them (and paying for it) before they would let them dive Theo's Wreck.

I've seen a lot of sharks at Shark Junction (yes it's the same place) and I didn't pay for UNEXSO's shark dive.

When I'm in Freeport I dive with Grand Bahama Scuba

I hope you have a great trip!!

I dived with UNEXSCO in March 2000 and things were not what they could have been. We had a group of 25, half certifed, half doing their OW dives. I was the DM for the trip supporting my instructor buddy. The boat that took our the certified divers in our group was taking on water, and the kicker??? It was one of our group that noticed the boat getting low in the water and listing to one side before the UNEXSCO captain!!! They made it back to the dive op with little time to spare, the crew started pumping out the bilge just in time as the water surface was only inches from the gunwale. I'm frightening to think what would have happened to our group if one of them hadn't noticed and made a pest of himself.

The captain on the boat we had with the students was top notch (her nickname was Chicago). But her DM was worthless. He was more prone to sunning himself and snoozing than helping our students in and out of the water. Chicago was doing double-duty, helping us with our students, doing the DM's job, and making sure the boat was securely moored.

Our shop has used UNEXSCO since then, but we haven't been back for pleasure or as leaders.

Diver Lori:
I dived with UNEXSCO in March 2000 and things were not what they could have been. We had a group of 25, half certifed, half doing their OW dives. I was the DM for the trip supporting my instructor buddy. The boat that took our the certified divers in our group was taking on water, and the kicker??? It was one of our group that noticed the boat getting low in the water and listing to one side before the UNEXSCO captain!!! They made it back to the dive op with little time to spare, the crew started pumping out the bilge just in time as the water surface was only inches from the gunwale. I'm frightening to think what would have happened to our group if one of them hadn't noticed and made a pest of himself.

The captain on the boat we had with the students was top notch (her nickname was Chicago). But her DM was worthless. He was more prone to sunning himself and snoozing than helping our students in and out of the water. Chicago was doing double-duty, helping us with our students, doing the DM's job, and making sure the boat was securely moored.

Our shop has used UNEXSCO since then, but we haven't been back for pleasure or as leaders.

Thanks Lori, its nice to know that "Chikako" whom everyone called "Chicago," is still there. Sorry your experience wasn't good. By the by, I think we know each other from another board, namely Dotti's!!!!

Dotti's! Yes, that would be me! When we took that trip I had been on WW for only 2 months....how time flies! I'm not sure if Chikako is still there or not. We went in 2000 and she may have moved on. When we were there the dive operation was in a various stages of remodeling.

My wife an I made a trip to Freeport last August. My second time there and I'd go back in a heartbeat. I love the Bahamas and if you want big animal encounters, there's no place better. We dove with three different operators while we were there. Don't even think about Carribean Divers. I can sum it up in one word "scary". Also dived with UNEXSO for the dolphin dive. Definately do that dive. It's awesome but what I really wanted was a shark dive, after all we were in the Bahamas. I asked about it at UNEXSO but they've quit doing them because of an "incident" last summer. Ended up with a weekly shark dive done by Xanadu. It was truely awesome. One of my most memorable dives. My wife loved it as well. To some it up:

Don't go near Carribean Divers
Yes, to Unexso but mostly for the Dolphin dive and the pluthura of t-shirts at the shop
Yes, to Xanadu for the diving. Say Hi to Woody!

As far as accomodations, we stayed at the Westin at Our Lucaya and if your budget allows, go for it. You will not be dissapointed. We met some people while we were there who were staying at the Pelican and it didn't compare to the Westin. Hope this post helps.

I would also give Unexso a big thumbs down. I think we had the same DM as Diver Lori, but he must have been on his best behavior on her dive. And I hope it wasn't the same boat, because the boat I was on wasn't going to move very fast if there was an emergency. Of course the billows of black smoke coming out of the engine would help the rescuers find where we went down.

yaz,
I haven't had personal experience with UNEXSO but have heard some bad things about them, bad customer service, not enough staff per diver ratio to mention 2 off the top of my head. We dove with Sunn Odyssey Divers in May and had a great time, Nick and Karen are great people and have been in buisness for over 20 years with perfect saftey record, that's saying a lot. they will come to the hotel and pick you up so you don't have to worry about transportation to a fro. consider diving with them here's a link, www.sunnodysseydivers.com

God Bless,
Sharky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom