unfortunate dive accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts and prayers to family and friends..... so tragic to lose someone who was just doing what they love..:(

Kayla:(

Originally posted by WreckWriter

I can't speak to the CCR death but I have experience on Arabia. She was actually my first cold water dive.

Before I went to Tobermory lots of folks cautioned me about this dive. I had never been in water below 60 degrees F.

When I got there it turned out that the scheduled shallow afternoon trip had been cancelled but one guy from the shop was going to the Arabia, I was invited to tag along as I was an instructor with many logged deep dives.

Sure, it was cold, it was dark too. I had a drysuit, I had a light. Quite frankly I found the dive fairly easy and uneventful. Nice wreck sure, tough dive, nope.

I dove the Forest City a few days later and found it much more challenging (and better in general).

Why do folks die on Arabia? My opinion is that it has been so widely built up that everyone who visits Tobermory feels they must dive it. When that happens you end up with clowns in deep water, always bad news, rarely mysterious.

Tom

wreck writer, some of the information I have got so far seems to be leaning towards out of air situations. I talked to my instructor who has been diving there as far back as 20 years and his simple answer was , poor planning, poor training, and he said it was just people not checking there guages.

Originally posted by Rooster1
I talked to my instructor who has been diving there as far back as 20 years and his simple answer was , poor planning, poor training, and he said it was just people not checking there guages.

As I said friend, clowns in deep water. Folks feel they must do that dive, even though it's beyond their experience level. Running out of air at 30' is no biggie, at 110 it is.

Tom

Why do folks die on Arabia? My opinion is that it has been so widely built up that everyone who visits Tobermory feels they must dive it. When that happens you end up with clowns in deep water, always bad news, rarely mysterious.

Tom
It seem to have a mistique about it. About 8 years ago, a friend and I started to dive her, he had never dove her, and at about 60' he aborted the dive and his reason was, he felt "strange". The next week we dove the Munson which is 125' dark and cold and he had no problem. I ask why he could dive one but not the other and he said it was the "ARABIA" and all the mystery attached to her. I have never "felt" this myself, but have been on boats were divers seemed awed by the wreck and the mistique.

Originally posted by divedude
I ask why he could dive one but not the other and he said it was the "ARABIA" and all the mystery attached to her. I have never "felt" this myself, but have been on boats were divers seemed awed by the wreck and the mistique.

Interesting. I didn't feel it either. I've heard folks talk that way about the Doria though.

Tom

Dove the Aribia on the weekend. Have done it several times before and really enjoy the wreck.

From what I have heard about deaths on the boat was two things. One about a guy rushing down to the boat. His buddy figured he was just trying to get down first as he had a camera and wanted to get some good pictures. Turned out he had a heart attack on the way down. Nobody noticed until they were back on the boat. He had complained about pains while on the boat and nobody questioned that.

The othere stories I have heard are about inexperience. People diving the boat with 10 dives under their belt. Not being able to find the ascent line and running out of air, trying to and being unable to do an asscent with out the line.

It is not a tough wreck, my max depth this year was 102 feet, but if you don't have experience in cold deeper water and are not sure of your ability you have no business on these wrecks.

I'm not sure how this thread became an "Arabia accident" thread when it started as a notice of Michels passing, but allow me to add my two cents worth.

I have logged perhaps 350 dives on the Arabia over the past 25 years. I dive it in the daytime (except Sat and Sun mornings, when the charters are there...), I dive it at night, I dive it with friends, I dive it mostly alone, with a boat tender. For many years, I have marked it in the spring for the Park, since they have trouble finding it. The point is, I think I know this wreck as well as anyone.

When I worked in Tobermory years ago, it was during a time of frequent fatalities... at least 2 a year. What became obvious to me, and others, is that almost all of the accidents on the Arabia were the result of a series of small things going wrong, but when added together, they became lethal. The classic "task loading" problem

Most victims were inexperienced. Frequently, the problems started with a short on air (or perception of a shortage...) situation. Others began with mechanical difficulties... freeze ups, a tank falling out of BC and the subsequent attempt to fix the problem. These fatalities are frequently "doubles" where the rescuer becomes a victim as well.

The Arabia is a beautiful dive. There are arguably better wrecks in Lake Erie, Kingston and Lake Superior, but the location is pristine and for some reason the site is on most divers "must do" list. But for many visitors, it is too deep, too exposed (no bottom reference to help with bouyancy), too cold. Frequently, there are strong currents which doesn't help the air consumption.

Having said this, everybody should do this dive... when they are experienced with cold, deep water. A redundant air system is, IMHO, required. Experience has clearly shown that buddy assistance is questionable in these circumstances. Dive this wreck with a cautious attitude and it can't be beat!

By the way, the wreck is slowly deteriorating. I suspect that the foredeck will collapse in the next few years... and the hull will surely split after that. So don't leave it too long, but get a bunch of relevant experience under your belt before you do. And 30 dives in a warm quarry ain't relevant!

Stoo

I can't speak to the CCR death but I have experience on Arabia. She was actually my first cold water dive.

Before I went to Tobermory lots of folks cautioned me about this dive. I had never been in water below 60 degrees F.

When I got there it turned out that the scheduled shallow afternoon trip had been cancelled but one guy from the shop was going to the Arabia, I was invited to tag along as I was an instructor with many logged deep dives.

Sure, it was cold, it was dark too. I had a drysuit, I had a light. Quite frankly I found the dive fairly easy and uneventful. Nice wreck sure, tough dive, nope.

I dove the Forest City a few days later and found it much more challenging (and better in general).

Tom

Yup that is the problem!!! It's not a place to send and open water diver on the first after certification dive but it really isn't that bad it is an enjoyable schooner!!:) The forest city is more interesting IMO.... A shame on the rebreather:( I t is alway's tough when we loose such an experienced and respected individual of the dive community!

Len

Michel was buried in his hometown of Trois Pistoles, Quebec on Thursday May 23rd.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 7th between 7:00 and 10 pm. at Frenchman's Bay Yacht Club, 635 Breezy Dr., Pickering, Ontario.

Donations can be made in honour and memory of Michel to:
La Fondation du Centre Hospitalier regional de Grand Portage. 75 Rue St-Henri, Riv. Du loup, Quebec G5R-2A4
Tel (418) 868-1000

Our deepest sympathy to his many friends, students, family and most especially to his wife Linda and his daughter Melanie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom