Unknowing divers endangering kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
Now I am confused. What is unsafe about my mask?

Not only a mask problem, but you are now a girl according to that post, the feminine pronoun is used...

ghostdiver1957:
I think the fool should be more worried about her own poor behavior than with anyone elses. If I saw her down there alone with her mask on (like it is in her avatar,) I would likely have to pull her aside and lecture her on being unsafe. While her actions with the father and child were admirable, her own actions seem to negate them. As they say... two wrongs don't make a right...
Ghostdiver1957,

You made some assumptions that you shouldn't have. I never got an impression one way or the other about ScubaFool's gender, and there was nothing to say one way or the other. It's also irrelevant, and his/her avatar, while a very interesting photo (and well done, I might add as a photographer), has nothing to do with the post.

David,

This has been an interesting series for the discussion.

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff:
Ghostdiver1957,

You made some assumptions that you shouldn't have. I never got an impression one way or the other about ScubaFool's gender, and there was nothing to say one way or the other. It's also irrelevant, and his/her avatar, while a very interesting photo (and well done, I might add as a photographer), has nothing to do with the post.

David,

This has been an interesting series for the discussion.

SeaRat

Oops... sorry, my bad... not a girl? ... Well it looks like a girl in the Avatar... and at that... a girl with eyes bugging out and bubbles all around... almost looks like panic to me... but knowing what I know now... it's just a boy that looks like a girl in a scuba mask properly blowing bubbles... I'm glad you all set me straight. Now lets get to the real point... diving alone in a quarry is not safe. I do it all the time myself... but I don't post it on boards where I'm talking about how unsafe someone else is being... so returning to the original point... that is foolish... and quite likely as foolish as my assumption that by appearance... the fool looks like a girl... my apologies for the assumption.

Hehe, if you look close, you can actually see my "haven't shaved for 2 days" shadow on my upper lip. H2Andy snapped that picture of me when I was rasberrying him, thus the bugged out eyes, etc. But still, I don't see what was unsafe about it.

And now onto the real point. As far as solo diving being unsafe, so is cave diving, and I do that, and talk about it on this board. As a matter of fact, diving itself is unsafe, and there are millions of post on this board talking about it.

The primary person placed under increased risk by my solo diving is me. The primary person placed at increased risk by the actions I observed was, from my perspective, the child. Therein lies the difference.

Hey, I don't mind you finding fault with me, it keeps me thinking and keeps me reconsidering the choices I make. But how about commenting on the original issue?

I wasn't going to butt in, but it bothers me that everbody keeps bringing up this solo diving issue. I dive solo often. When I do so, I make sure I have proper bailout gear, and don't push the limits of what I know I am capable of. However, the problem with the situation being discussed here is the child not having any control whatsoever of the situation. Who cares if he was a trained diver or not. Panic is panic, and even the most experienced divers embolise with the crud hits the fan and they shoot to the surface. The most drastic pressure changes are in the first 30 feet of water aren't they? So what if it "wasn't that deep".

John C. Ratliff:
If you want to compare, then I think that the dangers of solo driving, solo kayaking, and solo piloting, should also be considered. This thread was very specific, and talked about a specific intervention that was made for the good of a child. It has nothing at all to do with solo diving. At least a solo diver is only "endangering" himself, and not a child.

SeaRat

Your making an assumption based on limited information, which happens quite a bit on this board.

Do not know the enviroment that this situation played out in. My first reaction was the same as everybody elses, but then thought that there is not enough information to really make an opinion.

Interesting that you bring up that " Solo " anything is only endangering that individuals life.
When a person " Solo-ing " gets into trouble, that person now is endangering quite a few lives. How many " rescue people " lost their lives trying to save a person that got into trouble. It is obvious that they only thought of themselves and did not look at the big picture. You see my friend they have family, a spouse, etc that they leave behind. Only " endangering themselves " Think again.

captain:
The only danger in diving off a diving board to the bottom of a 15' deep pool is hitting your head on the bottom. Holding your breath while doing so poses absolutely no danger.
I suggest you review the cause of embolism as you appear to not understand it. Only if you take a breath underwater, under pressure and then surface while holding your breath do you risk embolism.

Right, it was not a very good example. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

I have to side with ScubaFool on this one.

Clearly he could not have known the complete situation, but I believe all of us have been trained to err on the side of caution. His actions seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Good job.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom