Unseasonably cold temperatures in Bonaire right now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you asked...

Theft from rental trucks, along with the advice to leave vehicles unlocked with no valuables inside while diving, has been happening on Bonaire for decades. And for decades people have continued to feed the thieves by locking wallets, cameras, phones, and other valuables in vehicles.

But thieves have been caught. Bonaire's prison is full, even after expansion by 36 beds in 2012. A larger prison with an additional 125 beds is currently under construction and is scheduled to open sometime next year. There's already a queue waiting to get in. In the meantime low-risk offenders are sometimes being released early or not incarcerated at all because there's no room in the prison for them.

What would you have Bonairean authorities do differently, specifically, to reduce opportunistic crime? Cost of living has increased significantly since governmental changes in October 2010, thus increasing the number of Bonaireans living in poverty. Bonairean residents and authorities are also coping with an increase in drug trafficking and addiction which is also related to increasing poverty and has obvious implications towards continued thefts from vehicles and properties etc. Poverty combined with drugs also leads to the the increase in thefts of vehicles and/or their parts. If they can't afford tires or batteries or radios they steal them.

The best way for tourists to deal with this is to leave valuables behind and purchase full insurance coverage for the vehicles. Personally, we've enjoyed 25 weeks on Bonaire over the past 18 years and have only lost a pair of $8 sunglasses to theft. We find the majority of Bonaireans to be warm, friendly, and honest people who are also frustrated victims of similar crimes.

Just curious: Where else in the Caribbean do you think you can temporarily integrate with the local community, travel alone day or night, and leave vehicles unattended while diving with less risk than on Bonaire?

-WWGuy
Counting the days until our next 3 week visit to dushi Bonaire.

Well stated. We were down for three months last winter and never had a problem. Water temps were consistently 79 to 80 F. If someone had a temp of 75, my guess is that they were caught in an upwell from the depths. Absolutely transitory. It can happen on occasion. Looking forward to being down there next winter!

If someone had a temp of 75, my guess is that they were caught in an upwell from the depths.

My Oceanic OC1 consistently reads about 4.5 deg low. So I am not surprised if someone sees 75.....but that doesn't convince me the WATER was actually 75!

Here's some screen captures of the temperature at different depths on two different days. As far as I know, the temp is accurate as others had the same approximate readings. Right now the thermostat is set at 76 degrees and the computer has indicated between 75 and 77 degrees.

temp at 30 feet.jpg

temp at 85 feet.jpg

The Avis contract now says that you have to lock the windows and doors. One of the divers in our group was given a truck with the radio missing. He decided he didn't want to risk having it stolen again, so he ignored their requests to have another one installed while he was there.

I am not sure if the renter is responsible for the loss of the radio or if it is covered under the insurance. If you don't have the doors locked and they steal the radio what happens or if you do have the doors locked and they break the windows to get the radio what happens. In other words, will they only cover the loss of the radio if the windows are also broken, proving that you had the car locked.

Avis was giving three different options, no insurance, insurance for $13 per day with a $500 deductible, or $25 per day with a $0 deductible.

The only thing in this tread that concerns me is the water temperature.....headed there Saturday. I've been in March, May, June and August and I've never seen it that cool.

I dive a Oceanic and Atomic cobalt and my Oceanic is consistently 2 degrees cooler than my cobalt. I use to have a mares icon like the op took pics of but didn't keep it long enough to compare them temp on it to any other computers.

^^This^^

I've had a local resident in Bonaire ask me to bring them some stuff related to their own home and a security system to foil break-ins.
The crime is not restricted to tourist trucks!
I live in a nice neighborhood in Virginia, near DC, and spend time at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I've had more stuff stolen from my car at my home and (with windows broken) in Baltimore than I have from 28 weeks in Bonaire. Going back for two weeks at the end of August with no fears about theft; I buy the insurance, I leave the car open, I don't leave valuable stuff in the car.

"Bonaire is better than Baltimore" You should contact the Chamber of Commerce for Bonaire - maybe they could use you to write promotional brochures ...

"Bonaire is better than Baltimore" You should contact the Chamber of Commerce for Bonaire - maybe they could use you to write promotional brochures ...

Good suggestion. I'll tell them it was your idea. :)

Which site did you experience this? I assume either a location East/North or South?

Here's some screen captures of the temperature at different depths on two different days. As far as I know, the temp is accurate as others had the same approximate readings. Right now the thermostat is set at 76 degrees and the computer has indicated between 75 and 77 degrees.

View attachment 212000

View attachment 212001

The Avis contract now says that you have to lock the windows and doors. One of the divers in our group was given a truck with the radio missing. He decided he didn't want to risk having it stolen again, so he ignored their requests to have another one installed while he was there.

I am not sure if the renter is responsible for the loss of the radio or if it is covered under the insurance. If you don't have the doors locked and they steal the radio what happens or if you do have the doors locked and they break the windows to get the radio what happens. In other words, will they only cover the loss of the radio if the windows are also broken, proving that you had the car locked.

Avis was giving three different options, no insurance, insurance for $13 per day with a $500 deductible, or $25 per day with a $0 deductible.

Reminds me of some yrs back when talking with work leadership regarding ways to make things better. He said, "We are no worse than anyone else."
I felt it 'inspirational'. I was very excited from then on to work some place that was no worse than anyone else. One could visualize the advertising campaign, "Buy our product because its no worse than anyone else." I was excited to put on my company PJ's at night then head off to the office in the morning because we are no worse than anyone else.

When I visit Bonaire, I leave windows partially down and nothing but flip flops and a tee shirt in the truck. So far, nothing missing. I use American Express Premium insurance as most credit card insurance does not cover a truck. its under $50 for a 30 days of insurance, if I recall correctly. Not all rental companies on the island let you use that insurance so check in advnce.

Hmmm... I guess I couldn't get away diving in Bonaire with this 3/2mm wetsuit like I did last June

Dr Bill ripped Tilos 3-2mm wetsuit 7011s.jpg

The water temps are a lot colder than normal. I am on Aruba right now and last year at this time the water was 82. Right now its been 78. That's a big difference. Cur and Bonaire are the Sister Islands so I am sure they are about the same. There has been double the wind the last 2 months so maybe that's part of the problem. Winds and currents. That's all I can think of. We are in the water every day and a lot of nights and its COLD if you don't dress up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom