Unwarranted Cost Increase at Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice, so maybe I'll buy a pass this year afterall... we'll see - still trying to run the numbers to see if I'll save any money - LOL.

I'd pay $200 for a park pass if it covered scootering at madison or night diving at manatee/peacock.

Once upon a time National and State parks had no fees, then the Feds and the States decided that they could use the money alocated to them elsewhere. That is why, even though are tax dollars are taken the parks are not funded, which mean those agencies responsible for the parks have to find revenue somewhere.

I go back to, does it state anywhere in the fine print that anything other than entry fees are covered. "They didn't charge me for 15yrs" isn't a viable argument.

I'm not opposed to a price hike, I understand that there need to be fees in order to maintain the park. Cleanup garbage, maintain washrooms, Water Facilities, Etc.. What I don't understand is why divers specifically are being charged more for using a part of the park that requires no maintenance. Its not like they need to preform regular water changes or preform routine oil changes (excluding mexico, BP seems to be preforming that maintenance right now). I think if the state is running short on cash they need to hit everybody equally or search for other options. This sounds like discrimination.

How about reading my post above. The District 1 Park manager admitted to me this "change" in policy was done in haste and in error.

How about reading my post above. The District 1 Park manager admitted to me this "change" in policy was done in haste and in error.
Rob,

I got a phone call from a park manager that stated they were going to talk about it, certainly not that was done in error.

I do appreciate the parks responding to us personally. I also appreciate that so many people reached out. They said they had TONS of email, way to go guys!

I have only gone to FL parks a couple times and every time I have seen divers bringing trash up from the bottom to help keep the water garbage free. I don't wish to pay more, but in states like SC you pay to get in the parks and their is no diving and xtra cost for fishing and camping and anything other than walking. Just my thoughts.

To be honest I stopped reading after the first 20 posts or so. It looked like a majority of the answers were focused on the price hike and not the discrimination so I decided to wing it and post my opinion without following ALL the posts. (sometimes it works sometimes not). Thanks for sharing their reply to you and keeping us updated :popcorn:

Rob,

I got a phone call from a park manager that stated they were going to talk about it, certainly not that was done in error.

Yes, they are still going to be discussing the situation, but the District 1 Park manager told me this initial response was a widespread response to one park manager asking for clarification for his park systems. There was a misinterpretation in the response by all the managers. But it also brought to light the fact that there is no specific policy on this so it is something they will be discussing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom