Unwarranted Cost Increase at Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very disappointing and a really cheap shot by the Parks. I have never minded paying usage based fees. I use it, I pay for it. Charging an extra fee just because I dive in it feels like I am being taken advantage of. I already pay for an annual park pass. How is the diving consuming any additional resources over what any other visitor who does not dive consumes?

Good morning and thank you for sharing your concerns regarding fees for scuba diving in Florida’s state parks. On behalf of the Florida Park Service, I offer a sincere apology for the confusion and frustration this has caused. I am pleased to say that after careful review and consideration of the dive community’s concerns, the Florida Park Service will immediately eliminate this fee. Diving in Florida’s state parks will be included in the day-use entrance fees and annual passes. It is our intent to provide affordable resource-based recreation opportunities for the citizens and visitors of Florida and we value your patronage. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you have any questions or additional concerns, please feel free to contact me via response to this email or you may contact the Florida Park Service directly at 850-245-2157.

Best regards,
Bonnie Hazleton, Director
Office of the Ombudsman & Public Services
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
850-245-2121

Thank you to everyone else who wrote a letter as well!

That is outstanding! Did I read that they are eliminating ALL diving fees?? So we will just pay like normal swimmers now? Thats so awesome.

That is outstanding! Did I read that they are eliminating ALL diving fees?? So we will just pay like normal swimmers now? Thats so awesome.

I think that was an oversight. I received the same e-mail, but didn't post it because of that. Please, let's just go back to the way it was last week and continue to pay the daily use fees if you don't have an annual pass. Let's not make this worse for us.

I certainly appreciate all of the interested divers that took the time to voice their concerns on this rate increase issue. All of us that sent letters, emails, and made phone calls can be proud that our efforts caused this fee to be rescinded. For those of us that think government can't be changed or reasoned with, this becomes an example of concerned community in action. I salute all who were involved.

Metaldector

To: Metaldector
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:55:35 -0400
Subject: Concern re. Diver's fee in State Parks brought to my attention

Good morning and thank you for sharing your concerns regarding fees for scuba diving in Florida’s state parks. On behalf of the Florida Park Service, I offer a sincere apology for the confusion and frustration this has caused. I am pleased to say that after careful review and consideration of the dive community’s concerns, the Florida Park Service will immediately eliminate this fee. Diving in Florida’s state parks will be included in the day-use entrance fees and annual passes. It is our intent to provide affordable resource-based recreation opportunities for the citizens and visitors of Florida and we value your patronage. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you have any questions or additional concerns, please feel free to contact me via response to this email or you may contact the Florida Park Service directly at 850-245-2157.

Best regards,

Bonnie Hazleton, Director
Office of the Ombudsman & Public Services
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
850-245-2121

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

ucfdiver, do you mind asking for clarification on the daily use fee? I tried calling but I think email would be the easiest method. (if you would rather not I wouldnt mind emailing but would need her email address) Dive-aholic, I would rather ask for clarification than continue paying a fee I didnt have to pay. My contention was that the use fee for divers vs swimmers was unfair, hopefully they addressed that when they addressed the annual pass confusion. If that was just a mistype on her part, Ill take the clarification of the annual pass confusion for what it is, a positive step!

E-mail sent. I'll get back to you with her response.

Dive-aholic, thank you very much! :)

Courtesy of the NFSA:
The Florida State Parks Fee Schedule and the Florida Park Service Operations Manual are currently being amended to reflect the changes below which are effective immediately.

Fee Changes

The Springs Diving fee ($15.00) and all of the Equestrian fees will be eliminated from the Florida State Parks Fee Schedule. As a result, Spring Diving and Equestrian visitors will now be admitted by paying the daily park admission fee, or admitted free of charge by showing their Annual Entrance Pass. This change does not affect the Annual Springs-Diving Instructor Pass ($200.00) or the Annual Open-Water Diving Instructor Pass ($150.00).

Fee Language Clarification

The Annual Springs-Diving Instructor Pass is good for all parks where springs-diving is permitted; the Annual Open-Water Diving Instructor Pass is good for all parks were open-water diving is permitted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom