Upgrade time, New BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you should buy a mutual fund that tracks the S&P 500, with an expense ratio of less than 15 basis points. Fidelity charges me 7 basis points. Vanguard is similar. Every time you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket repeat the process, until you are wealthy.

Unless you don't own a functional regulator, in which case there are several that are very good and considerably cheaper than an Atomic B2.

The Classic should last you a lifetime. I own 2 of them that are at least 10 years old and they look like they are new. I have tried very hard to abuse them to give myself a reason to buy new ones but they are not going away. I am going to buy a BP/W just because the Classic doesn't work too well with my drysuit. When I am not diving dry, Classic is it for me.

What type of regulator do you currently own and how old is it?

You have wife that is getting extra money and is willing to buy you a new BC with it? You also have 0-24 dives if that is correct. That BC you own is not even broke in. Dive it and it will soften up. Use a rash guard or thin suit if it's rubbing.

As for that extra money that SHE has coming take it, add $500 of YOUR money to it and buy her a diamond tennis bracelet or pair of 3/4 carat earrings. That she would even offer to buy you a new BC when yours is perfectly fine and likely new, heck you're not sure if it's the Classic or Classic 2, that tells me you have not used it enough yet, and tells me she is worth it. And worth hanging on to. Diamonds along with an equally unselfish gesture will help make that happen.

I’m not all about fashion I just like how the icon bladder looks is it a crime to want a bc on how it looks. If it is a crime better call atomic because they have color kits for their B2 reg, and oceanic their ultra-dry snorkels come in a ton of different colors O don’t forget any company that makes fins o wait just about everything in diving(other than tech gear) has fashion.
Cosmetics do play a role in most divers' scuba purchases.
When it comes to scuba gear, I generally look for stuff that works great for my type of diving, lasts a long time, doesn't malfunction/fail frequently, and can be easily fixed/serviced/tuned (by an idiot like me). After I've winnowed down my gear search according to those factors, I consider whether I find the cosmetics appealing. In most cases, if it comes in black and/or chrome, I'm cool with it.

Different people will have different methods of approaching scuba gear purchases. YMMV.
There is only 1 thing about my scubapro I don’t like when its inflated and I’m on the surface the part that comes over my shoulder gets twisted and rub my shoulder raw.
Is it possible that you might be over-inflating your BCD?
Even if this is not the case, since you're wearing a weightbelt or weight harness (I'm guessing), your body is negatively buoyant and your inflated BCD is positively buoyant. One goes down, the other goes up. Invariably, this will create slack in the shoulder straps of a conventional jacket-style BCD as the cummerbund rides up into your armpits.

As Jim Lapenta pointed out, a rashguard might help reduce the strap friction on your shoulders.
You could also simply lean back while on the surface of the water. It should be a fairly comfortable position if everything is balanced properly.
Another possible solution is to install a crotchstrap on your BCD. Not sure whether there are attachment points that would allow such an installation. A crotchstrap would really help anchor the rigid plate part of the BCD (made out of plastic?) to your back no matter how much air you add to the BCD bladder.
Really the only reason I want a new BC is my wife is getting some extra money and said she would buy me a new bc
Your wife is being very generous. Perhaps y'all should take that money and go on a nice vacation with it. Then you could both enjoy it. :wink:
ok well I was going to post this question first but I thought every one would say BC. should I buy a new reg(atomic b2) or a new bc?
If I were in your shoes, the first question I would ask myself is: "Do I really need a new reg or BCD?"
What's the opportunity cost of spending your wife's windfall on redundant gear at this point in your diving career?
Is there some other non-scuba-related purchase that would bring more enjoyment to your life?

I've heard good things about Atomic Aquatics regs...just like other regs out there on the market.

Do you already have a dive computer?
Do you already own all of the reasonable safety gear (whistle, signal mirror, SMB, reel) you need for your dive conditions?
Would the money be better spent on a drysuit, more training, or gas fills?

So many comments to make so little time so I'm just gonna say that if I were you I'd use that money towards a nice dive vacay with your lady friend. Do some amazing dive somewhere other than your usual spots. Or just sell your bc and buy a new bc and get your lady friend something nice too.

Lots of good suggestions. As far as the BCD riding up the way it does, odds are your next one will do the same too, or something similar. Maybe before going for new gear, try and solve it. Are you properly weighted? Have proper trim?

Go with the TUSA Conquest. This is a Hybred, which means it is a back inflate when you are under water and when you fill it to about 85% it becomes a wrap around for the surface. And best of all no wings

My "Classic" turned 20; it wasn't even called "Classic" back then, maybe "Finseal" or something. I've seen fashions come and go over the years but I haven't found any compelling reasons to change: just minor details like a single pocket, or the fact that's it's teal, so the only way to color coordinate it is to wear black. :D

Oh yes, the nipple for the inflator broke off, so I had to aqualseal it. No big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom