Upper Tank mounting points: Bungees and/or chokers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bungee down to the knobs.

Allegedly, it's even better if your bungee goes around the back of the tank valve outlet and loop around the valve extension post. Allegedly, that also allows you to use the 5th port to keep the tank more snug. I only loop around the knob because my HOG valves do not have the extension post. Plus, I kind of prefer valves sticking out to the side, rather than upwards behind. Easier to grab for shutdowns and feather with one hand without taking off bungee.

Re the picture above... Is that hose coming straight up off your 1st stage your 2nd stage short hose?

Yes, that's my regulator hose, if memory serves me well it's 36 inches (I can go down and measure if you want).

In my case, it felt like my reg was tugging down a bit, but I had the hose pointing down and making a 'U' turn up to my neck with a 90* swivel.

That's what I do, looping around the neck. I also felt it was a bit tugging, so I just put a 90-degree swivel on it, now with the swivel I feel the hose as it is seems a little too long.

it's not alleged, the longer bungees wrapped around the neck to the opposing post put more rotational torque on the tanks and help to roll them up and into your body so they stay more stable. It's actually even better if you can get the bungee from the inside, under, and out as that will roll the tank down and into you which makes it much more stable. Unfortunately with first stages down it is a colossal PITA to get rigged up like that, but if you are routing first stages up, it works out quite nicely. Still can't use the 5th port and not sure why you have been told it makes it more snug, but the 5th port only works if there is actually a direct path from that port to something you want to use. That means the ports have to be straight down which is stupid, as the valves are out, or the tank is far forward and low on the chest, so I don't use it. The swivel turret is a safety thing on the long hose to prevent it getting kinked off, however non-swivel first stages have been used for decades in backmount with no real issue, so don't use braided long hoses, and you'll likely be fine.

I have swivels on all of my second stages, they route better and feel better, screw the extra o-rings. I think mine is also around 36 inches or so, but it doesn't feel too long at all, but again, big chest

the $50 sidemount book on my desk!
Is that Jill Heinerth book? I bought that one too... it borders on being a rip-off. I've bought many scuba related books in the past and this one is the worst by far. Especially considering the price tag... 5 bucks would have been Ok.

Netos book is much better and you get like 100 times as much info for less money.

That's what I do, looping around the neck. I also felt it was a bit tugging, so I just put a 90-degree swivel on it, now with the swivel I feel the hose as it is seems a little too long.

I did not have the left reg going behind my head/neck yesterday. I just pointed it down towards the bottom of the tank, and then a 'U' turn up along my chest held in place with a neck bungee. your comment confuses me, because you say its pointed down, but your pic shows it pointed up. (please clarify)

I had the right side (long) hose coming up my chest around the left side, around my neck with a 110* swivel.

I must say that may tanks were hanging low in front, so my reg hose routing will probably make more sense once I fix that.

where did he say it's pointed down? Left hose should be behind your neck, especially if doing actually sidemount passages to prevent it from getting ripped out of your mouth

Is that Jill Heinerth book? I bought that one too... it borders on being a rip-off. I've bought many scuba related books in the past and this one is the worst by far. Especially considering the price tag... 5 bucks would have been Ok.

Netos book is much better and you get like 100 times as much info for less money.

Yea, that's the one. I wouldn't say 'rip off', but surely over-priced. I bought it from a local shop, so hopefully they made a few bucks on it. :) It was an interesting read/look through, but definitely lacking in detailed pics that are large and clear enough to be useful.

Yea, that's the one. I wouldn't say 'rip off', but surely over-priced. I bought it from a local shop, so hopefully they made a few bucks on it. :) It was an interesting read/look through, but definitely lacking in detailed pics that are large and clear enough to be useful.
I asked Jill and Brian about that...why the crummy pix? They responded that they didn't want people to use it instead of an instructor. It was intended to be about sidemount, not be an instructional replacement. In this they succeeded.

I asked Jill and Brian about that...why the crummy pix? They responded that they didn't want people to use it instead of an instructor. It was intended to be about sidemount, not be an instructional replacement. In this they succeeded.

Wow... first thing on the cover its header says: "The Technical Diver's Guide"...(inside cover)"to side mount diving".

Now I DO feel ripped off. I wonder how they would feel if I did an Amazon review commenting that it is "deliberately lacking in basic information as to make it impractical as true guide or reference" ?

If you are going to do this than you should limit sales of the book only to students of a Side mount class. Don't sell something for $50 and then intentionally make it useless..

Why write a book then? Usually you get a book to learn stuff, no? Arguably, the Wikipedia article has WAY more info one the subject than that book does... it really just seems like a money grab to me. The last 10 or 20 pages are just advertisement. It's really more like a brochure, IMHO.

I've been sidemounting well over a dozen years now... before a lot of the current instructors were even diving. I might take some heat for this, but one of the huge draws of sidemount at the time was that you had to figure it out for yourself. Sure, you would get ideas from others, but the thought was that if you needed someone to instruct you on sidemount, it really wasn't for you.

Now, it's far more mainstream. There are books and curricula all about side mounting. Agencies and a few divers are trying to standardize side mount, but why? I certainly have picked up a few dos and don'ts as I have progressed, but my sidemount style has evolved over the years. I use the ring system for a number of reasons, though I am always open to learning new ways. Why? I dive sm off of small boats when I travel as well as with large tanks when I dive caves. Rather than the chokers liked by Lamar, I use large Zip Ties.

Don't be afraid of playing on your own. Develop a system that works for you. Make your own harnesses if it seems right. HAVE FUN. That's the reason we dive, isn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom