Upscale dive resort at a bargain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea of choosing a destination based on a few degrees Fahrenheit difference is a little bit absurd to me. I can't imagine the OP would be happy diving in 83℉ water and unhappy at 78℉. We do wear wetsuits, after all, so you can always add a couple of millimeters of neoprene.

---------- Post Merged at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:47 PM ----------

If the reef on the other side is known as "Something Special", I would rename the dive from Harbour Village as "Something Pretty Interesting if not Pretty"!
I agree. I do a lot of dives right in front—I just like to warn people that it might not meet their expectations for prettiness. There are a lot of eels, octopuses, and juveniles amongst the rubble, so it's a good place for photography, especially on evening dives, when I am often lazy about driving to other sites.

I agree that it will be hard to find 83 degrees in January in the Caribbean.

Not likely at all in the Caymans. Can't see where Cozumel will be that either. Bonaire and Curacao aren't likely to be that warm either.

80-81 degrees is the more likely option.

I will say that I notice a real difference in 78 degrees as opposed to 81 or more. Just much harder to get warm on the boat/shore and likely if the water is that cold, the air isn't real warm either.

January in much of the western Caribbbean is subject to the fronts that pass through the US. Big fronts can bring cooler weather and strong north winds.

Good luck on your choice and keep us posted as to your choice.

I did my OW in Grand Cayman in December and the water was 83 degrees. I think this must have been a fluke, because all the research I've done online regarding Caribbean water temperatures in the winter are consistent with the posts in this thread.

Adding a couple of millimeters of neoprene makes for a much bulkier wet suit. Perhaps going from 3 to 5 millimeters wouldn't be that bulky, I don't know. I do know that diving with a 6-millimeter long john with a 6-millimeter shorty over it the couple of times I've done it, with a hood and gloves, pretty well spoiled the diving experience for me.

Anyway, I don't know that I'd mind a slightly thicker wet suit in the Caribbean in winter, but the replies regarding the temperatures in winter in the Caribbean have motivated me to start a different thread in the South Pacific forum for a resort over there.

Thanks to all the Caribbean divers for your excellent resort suggestions. I looked at all of them online, and they all look fabulous. I will certainly go to some of them, since I make a dive trip every 2-3 months. Just won't be in the winter. Thanks again!

Adding a couple of millimeters of neoprene makes for a much bulkier wet suit. Perhaps going from 3 to 5 millimeters wouldn't be that bulky, I don't know. I do know that diving with a 6-millimeter long john with a 6-millimeter shorty over it the couple of times I've done it, with a hood and gloves, pretty well spoiled the diving experience for me.
I don't completely disagree. One of the reasons I no longer dive cold water is because a 7-mm suit is too much hassle. But the jump from 3-mm to 5-mm is not that bad, especially if you have something like a Hyperstretch. For me, 5-mm is sufficient for any tropical water, though, of course, individuals may differ quite a bit in their tolerance for cold.

Anyway, I don't know that I'd mind a slightly thicker wet suit in the Caribbean in winter, but the replies regarding the temperatures in winter in the Caribbean have motivated me to start a different thread in the South Pacific forum for a resort over there.
Good idea, but why not consider Southeast Asia as well? As a rule, really good diving does not coexist very well with luxury accommodations (excluding liveaboards), but if you're willing to compromise a little bit on the diving and a little bit on the luxury, you should be able to find something that meets your needs.

I was initially disappointed at these two resorts because they weren't what I've always seen in the movies when somebody goes to a Caribbean resort.

Oh, so Bo Derek wasn't there?

We got on the Sandals web site and looked at their resorts.

When I think "diving", I think Sandals.

Also I want to dive in water that's at least 83 degrees....

Roatan South shore can regularly give you 82° at that time of year. No luxury, though.

One other thing. Neither of us drinks, and we're not into consuming mass quantities of food, so an all-inclusive may be a waste of money for us.

I'm aware of certain AI's that do include all of your booze (mostly high-end Mexican), but I do not find any correlation to actual "dive resorts". I have never seen anyone being force fed food.

The point of an AI Dive Resort is that all of the diving that you might want is included in the price. That's where the waste of money really can come in.

There is nothing in the Caribbean that matches your criteria. :(

But the jump from 3-mm to 5-mm is not that bad, especially if you have something like a Hyperstretch.

Okay, I'll give it a try.

Good idea, but why not consider Southeast Asia as well?

Oh yeah. But there's no forum for both, so I put my post in the Asia forum.

---------- Post Merged at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I'm aware of certain AI's that do include all of your booze (mostly high-end Mexican), but I do not find any correlation to actual "dive resorts".

Hm, maybe I'm not looking for a dive resort, but rather a resort where diving is available.

I have never seen anyone being force fed food.

I fail to grasp your point.

The point of an AI Dive Resort is that all of the diving that you might want is included in the price.
That's where the waste of money really can come in.

I guess it would be a waste if you didn't want to dive. Is that what you're saying?

There is nothing in the Caribbean that matches your criteria. :(

Yes, I'm beginning to get the picture.

we dove in Bermuda in February at approx 70F with a 7mil one piece, no hood or gloves and was just fine
and if it makes any difference i am one of those that doesn't have a great deal of resistance to cold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom