URGENT! Need Info on Channel Is. Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd hop on the Peace. You can sleep aboard as well, so no need to spend money on a hotel room.

Based on your availability, I would recommend making reservations with the Spectre Dive boat, out of Ventura, Ca, and dive with them 25-26 Jun. Captain Ted allows long distance divers to store, set up, and stay on the boat the evening prior to your reservations. Yes, two days of free lodging. Wake each day to a nice breakfast served by Shannon in the galley. Following breakfast sign up for lunch, the menu includes BBQ tri-tip, BBQ chicken, hamburgers and dogs, all served with rice, fries, green salad and warm or cold drinks. The Spectre departs the harbor at 0900 for the two hour ride to Anacapa and surrounding islands, 26 miles out to sea. Each day Capt Ted brings you to different dive locations. We are talking blue water diving in kelp, with 54 to 58 degree water temps. You will be rewarded with seals buzzing you and fellow divers. After the second dive, BBQ lunch is served, the best on the west coast. A lot of divers blow off the third dive and jump in the jaccuzzi. I don't. I now live in Tampa and truly miss the Spectre and Scuba Luv Dive operations of California.

I am a former NorCal diving now living in Tampa. Have dove with the Spectre and ScubaLuv Dive Ops many times. Dive safe.

:popcorn:

Call me crazy, but I dig the giant stride drop from the Spectre and the Great Escape. If you flip yourself hard enough, you can do a full rotation before hitting the water.

Call me crazy, but I dig the giant stride drop from the Spectre and the Great Escape. If you flip yourself hard enough, you can do a full rotation before hitting the water.

Is it higher than the bow gate on the Vision? That one is a big step off.

To Everyone,

I can't believe how many helpful and generous responses I received. THANKS!

However, the travel site offering the deal crashed and by the time it was back online all the discount tickets had vanished!

Talking it over with my wife, we decided to actually plan a trip out there instead of improvising with a travel deal, and she might join the diving as well!

So, my question has now become, what is the best time of year for channel islands/SoCal diving? I would like to combine the optimum time with the best sites. From what I have read San Clemente would be very high on my list, along with San Miguel (I know that site is weather dependent so I want to know what time of year the odds would be best).

I am sorry if my "emergency" did not actually pan out, I'm just glad I didn't actually book anything. In any case, having read up on it, I will be making a trip out there once I find out what time conditions are typically the best.

Guy

Best time? You'll get lots of opinions on this. Personally, I like late fall. The water is usually still warmer (not this year though!) and the summer crowds are gone. Summertime is great for surface intervals, but usually more crowded on boats and at the usual dive spots. Get a multiday dive trip on any of the boats and you will have a great time regardless of time of year.

Winter, between storms, can be awesome. Clear, blue water from deep upwelling and little plankton growth.

Best all around dive conditions are August, Sept., Oct., and usually early November. In a La Nina year, the water is going to remain cool all year, however. You should figure low 60's during La Nina and mid to high 60's during El Nino.

Yes, the giant stride off the Spectre is every bit a high as the Vision, Truth and Conception.

If you want to go to San Miguel, be prepared for significant swell and cold water (50's). Its worth it though. The Truth boats usually make the run. Every once in a while so does the Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom