US cylinders,sizes,pressures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have DIN<>A-clamp adaptor so thats not a real problem. I think ive thought of most things but bound to have missed something...

The most important thing to bring is your "C" card....
No, not that one...
Your VISA "C" card.
As long as you have that, you'll be ok. :)
Rick

My take on aluminum tanks' popularity:

1) Aluminum is far less expensive.
2) Aluminum is lighter in weight.
3) I think aluminum tanks are slightly positive in buoyancy when empty, which I'm not sure is a good thing or bad, but is something to consider.
4) Aluminum doesn't rust, although I understand it does oxidize in another form.

(Incidentally, I am aware of the difference in spelling for this material between US and UK. Quite interesting, I think, although inconsequential for this conversation. :wink: )

I read somewhere that AL80s in particular are so common because they represent an "optimal" compromise between air capacity, strength, and cost.

I personally own an AL90, btw.

cheers

Billy S.

String:
Tend to work the opposite way here with thick exposure protection - Any positive buoyancy in a cylinder means yet more lead is needed to be carried somewhere to sink the thing.
I would imagine so.

In warm water with no wetsuit or a very thin wetsuit, it is handy to have a way to help keep a newbie on the surface.

Dang, while I was writing that all you guys jumped in and answered first. I gotta quit being so careful about choosing just the right words, which usually aren't right anyway.

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
2) Aluminum is lighter in weight.
That is often not true.

In many cases the same capacity steel tank is lighter than the aluminum tank.

Add in the extra weight for getting aluminum underwater and it makes a big difference going up the ladder. :)

Weight wise aluminium cylinders are heavier on land than their steel counterparts (or should be) due to the thicker walls required.

Maybe its regional as steel tanks are cheaper than Al. here - the only real use for Al tanks here tend to be as stages. That said im looking right at a 7l steel O2 stage at the moment :)

I stand corrected, sirs. :) However that's been my perception, at least; I've lifted steel tanks (but never actually used them) and even smaller steels seem somehow heavier.

cheers

Billy S.

Steel tanks are much cheaper in Europe. I also believe that on a raw material basis, steel is cheaper per pound than aluminum by a good margin.

The PST E7-100 or LP-80 would make a dandy "standard" tank if you ask me :wink:

Back
Top Bottom