USED gear for recreational diver: YES or NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're buying a computer and your baggage is strictly controlled, why not go for a wrist-watch style computer like a used suunto stinger?

A watch style computer wont count towards your baggage at all if you just wear it on your wrist.

An Apeks Flight regulator might be worth considering too.

Apeks DS4 1st Stage, with XTX or TX 40 or 50 Second Stage Reg, with a Mares MV Octopus.
Swap the hoses for Milfex ones. Bungee necklace the octo on a 24" hose. Primary on a regular length hose

Since the OP doesn't have a budget limit, just get an Apeks Flight set. Braided hoses are standard, first stage is lighter than a DS4, seconds are lighter than XTX40s. Either way I wouldn't use TX second stages, or 50s of any sort, if the mission is light weight. If you want to change a hose length, use a Mikron 2nd

My recommendation for a wrist computer would be a Suunto Gekko. They recently replaced these on the market, so there should be some cheap ones popping up - especially second hand. Ebay is always good - people often upgrade computers. The primary thing to check is battery life remaining

So long as it has a user-replacable battery 'watch' battery, like the Gekko, not a big issue at <$10

Given all the constraints you have mentioned, I wouldn't buy gear. I'd buy a computer (a wristwatch type) and a wetsuit and mask. Why those things? Because they have to fit to work. A mask that leaks is a pain, and a wetsuit that doesn't fit doesn't keep you warm. You can cope with virtually anything else.

Thanks, guys... I can see that just about everyone is reccommending bringing at least a wrist computer with replaceable battery. So that's settled: I'm getting at least that!

Suunto Gekko seems to fit my needs and if I did my homework right, it caters for Nitrox, NO flight, fast surfacing etc. It also has dive warning alarms audible underwater that I can set as I please. It also keeps track of repetitive dives & I can download it on a computer etc.

Apparently the only deficiency of the Gekko is the lack of a fully integrated air supply measure - someone suggested that it is important... any considerations? Is it only a gimmick or is it truly useful? I don't like electronics unless thay are 100% trustworthy and proven to be reliable...

Equipment:
I like the advices for minimum gear: mask & wetsuit. I feel that it's much easier to use a bad jacket than a bad wetsuit. The mask too! It is a pain sometimes, you're right! And I checked out the Flight 1st & 2nd stages that Hickdiver reccommended: they do seem pretty light... are they a good brand? Model? Reliable? Can I find them used?

What else should I check besides the battery of the computer if I look for the equipment on ebay? Should I get them DIN or not?

That you know of, have you ever experienced dive centres which offfer discounts if you rent only jacket and fins from them? I have not found them in hotels but, maybe if I ask this forum before travelling I can organize to rent only part of the equipment...

Thanks, you're all very helpful... Ascanio

Given all the constraints you have mentioned,
I don't have any "specific" constraints but one: I simply want to travel REALLY LIGHT because of luggage weight. Some of the reccommendations I am getting would allow me to fit everythinig in my carry on luggage and remain well under half a dozen Kg.
But you have all convinced me that at least a wrist computer is worth buying. Gekko?
Ascanio

One suggestion would be to purchase your own reg, mask, fins, and computer, and rent the rest. Keeps your carry on light, but you own the equipment you most need to fit well.

As for used, have you looked into purchasing from your local LDS, getting some of their well used, but well maintained rental/classroom gear. That way you can be assured it can be serviced locally, later.

RE: Used Gear. I went that route and was able to get a full setup (short of tanks and weights) for what I would have paid for a top end, cold water capable reg set. Furthermore, I ended up with the same or better quality in amazing condition and feel much better (conscience and wallet)... Apeks Tungsten with the 40 octo, Zeagle Ranger BCD, Sherwood Wisdom II Computer, Akona Bag, Atomic ARC mask, Mares Raptor (only regret... damn split fins), high end light plus a few other things. I got some off of the marketplace here and some off of Craigslist... would definitely recommend used.

For the 5 Kg limit, there is no way that you will be doing a full set as carry on. Get a hard case for your mask and throw it below (packed well) along with fins, BCD, wetsuit (rolled to avoid wrinkles) and basically everything but your regs and/or camera if you carry one. Not that the other stuff isn't valuable, but it is a) more durable and b) less likely to kill you if there is a malfunction (exception being BCD, but what will really happen to a BCD down there?!?!). Do a full inspection after landing and you will be golden!

Used gear is a perfectly viable for anyone to dive. Making an informed purchase is the hard part.

With 4 years in the sport I would expect you feel confident in evaluating gear if you were capable. Understanding new gear purchases requires a lot of seat time to learn the features and sort those against your needs. . Understanding used gear turns it up a notch as you add history, experieince and troubleshooting. That being said, do you have amentor that woudl help you evaluate items?

Virtually any reasonably current gear was perfectly safe and adequate as it was manyfactured. Evaluating the exact piece being considered is where the expertise comes into play.

What you are considering can quickly add a hobby aspect to the sport. For the intensity you have demonstrated you may be better off in new gear with a warranty and seller support.

For those reaons I don't believe you will be served well in being directed to buy a particular used item.

Pete

Suunto Gekko seems to fit my needs and if I did my homework right, it caters for Nitrox, NO flight, fast surfacing etc. It also has dive warning alarms audible underwater that I can set as I please. It also keeps track of repetitive dives...

Yes, it does all that & is a good choice for you

...& I can download it on a computer

No. The Gekko doesn't support PC download from the factory - you'd need a Zoop or Vyper for that. It does store the dive info, and has a 'logbook' function where you can access basic dive data & tracking. Actually the programming is the same as the Vyper/Zoop, but some functions are deactivated. There is a hack you can do to 'rename' it to a Vyper and allow PC download if it's that important to you. Not needed

Forget air integration, you don't need it either

No. The Gekko doesn't support PC download from the factory - you'd need a Zoop or Vyper for that. ...There is a hack you can do to 'rename' it to a Vyper and allow PC download if it's that important to you.

Yeah - that hack is easily obtainable online and goes into the Sunnto Dive Manager program (not computer firmware). The only thing that stops the Gekko from being downloadable is the port allocation for the USB. You can also get cheap non-OEM versions of the USB link cable from Ebay etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom