used reg vs new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go to the local dive store and check-out the makes he carries and check-out his prices. Do some research, pick a reg that will suit your needs. I'd look at warranties and service plans as well.

Check-out what you can get a similar reg for used add about $100 and compare this with the cost of a new regulator purchased on the Web. Once you have the prices fixed for local purchase, Internet and used. Make your decision.

I wouldn't worry about purchasing anything used, but their is more to consider than just price. Personally, I haven't purchased a new regulator in over 30 years and have acquired them used for the right price. Knowing what you want is the greatest hurdle. Good luck!

Wayne

I'd not hesitate to purchase a used reg. I would try and find one where the owner lives someplace like Colorado (IOW's NOT diving salt all the time).

Assume you may need service out of the gate when buying used. IOW's saving $100 on a reg purchase is not much if you have to put $80 into it right away.

You can find some great deals on ebay. Regs generally don't go BAD. Make sure parts are available IF you buy used.

Zeagle makes good stuff, and I don't think they make a reg that you can not find parts for.

I'd say forget the warranties, and service plans! :D Annual service is a joke IMO unless you dive on a very regular basis. Most *divers* are getting their reg serviced every 20 dives (annually), which is like changing the oil in your car every 750 files...IOW's not necessary.

I would suggest waiting a little longer and maybe, just maybe, Obama will send you some stimulus money and you will be able to get a top of the line reg for basically nothing.

I think that the suggestion that buying used lets you "buy up" is a good one. I went back and forth between buying a new AL Titan and a used AL Titan LX (admittedly not a big difference), but found a lightly used LX for $250 with a Calypso octo after some careful searching. Servicing at my LDS was another $115, but I feel that I am still ahead and have the regulator I would have wanted to buy at some point anyway.

I felt differently about my BC and wetsuit, however, and went the new route in both cases, although they were purchased from eBay. Like anything, all used gear is not created equally and the path to satisfaction lies with being at least slightly educated on the purchase and understanding the potential risks.

This may seem like an odd comment, but purchase guilt was also a factor for me as I am still a relatively new diver. The thought of tying up $1200-2000 in equipment that I might used once or twice a year was a real concern. My total investment so far is around $750 which means that I don't badly when I walk past everything hanging neatly in my garage and wonder whether the money would have been better spent on something else. I was a ski instructor until about 18 months ago and did not think twice about buying a third pair of skis or another pair of boots when I got them on pro deal at 1/3 retail, but when I went to the ski shop over the weekend I could not bring myself to drop $900 on that new pair of sticks.

Last edited:
A poorly maintained regulator will also out-live the diver. :wink:

Touche! :rofl3: Good one, I about fell out of my chair laughing (but you are correct).

Best wishes.

Check out LeisuePro. They usually have a ScubaPro reg set for around $150 delivered. Plenty good enough for recreational diving. I've been buying from them for a couple years and selling the year-old regs on Ebay. Ends up costing me about $75 a year for a new reg.

And I'm one of the guys on the other end of the "food chain" who buys the used regs on ebay and rebuilds them.... so it is a "win-win" for seller and buyer in most cases (if you do your own servicing and have a parts source). :D

Best Wishes

Do the math on the "free parts" bit before you buy into that. If you pay a $300 premium to get $40 of parts per year how many years will it take you to break even? Will you even still be divng then? If you consider the opportunity cost for that money you may never break even. But then you may have a better or worse deal. Just do not pay too much for "free" parts.

Wow, thanks alot everyone! Definetly gave me alot to think about and after going to my LDS I found out that there selling off a few regs off of thier rental program. Something I never thought to look into. Pretty amazing having this forum for posting such questions.... thanks again

My answer to this is always the same. I bought my one and only regulator in 1968, had it serviced every year. It still works like the day I bought. I bought new top of the line, even after all this time I'll still put it up against any new regulator. When it comes to air delivery I believe in "top of the line don't spare a dime." The only exception is for an alternate air supply like the reg on a pony bottle, chances are you'll never use it and if you do it wouldn't be for long. So there I'll save a few bucks. As someone else said a BC is a good thing to buy new also. BC failures give you that sinking feeling that you don't need.:eyebrow:

Depends on what kind of used regs. If it's a used reg that's of the make and model that I like, I'd buy it if it's cheap enough. Send it back to the manufacturer for refurbishment. Voila!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom