Used regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a source for used equipment. http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/store/ Inventory constantly changes. Used regulators are rebuilt before resale. I have purchased from them with no issues. Make sure follow-on service is available to you locally.

Last edited:
The big difference is what can the buyer do and what must the buyer be dependent on an LDS (that may be looking to punish used gear buyers) to do for them.
Absolutely
I adjusted my answer for the case when the buyer depends on the LDS

If they can service them it changes the picture significantly

well here is the deal. i am interested in buying a used set of apeks xtx100 and used xtx octo on here. i am tossing the idea around cause i know a must will be to service as soon as i receive them

The bit about having to add the cost of a service to a used reg is a bit deceptive because even new regs will require regular service, so what you're really adding is the price on one additional service over the life of the reg. The warranty on new regs is in most cases a bit of a scam, because it requires the owner to pay for annual service, which eventually exceeds the cost of an entire new regulator. For moderate recreational use, say 50 dives/year, well care for regs can easily go 3-4 years between servicing assuming the service is done well and the reg is stored properly.

The resale value of most regulators is quite low, considering the fact that they are designed to be completely rebuilt. This makes the used market an excellent option for informed buyers. As I mentioned before, the best thing is to have a 'mentor' or friend that understands regs and can help you, or buy from a source that's reliable. Personally, I would not consider buying a new regulator given what's out there used. But I'm cheap, and I enjoy diving with classic regs. I've breathed on some very high end regs and I know for a fact that they do not outperform my MK5s and 10s with D300s, pilots, balanced adjustables, or G250 2nd stages. For higher pressure tanks I use a MK15 sometimes because the bushing system is a little better for HP tanks.

If I were advising someone what to buy used, I'd go with either a MK10 or 15 or 20 with either a 109 (converted to balanced/adjustable), G250 (not the HP model) or D400 2nd stage. All of these regs are easily serviced; the MK10 piston is not officially available through SP but there are many NOS around, and needing a replacement piston is not really likely in the first place. Sam goes with the MK15 piston, and the MK20 can use the current MK25 piston. Rebuild kits for all are available and will be for a long time. The 109 (balanced) and G250 both use current rebuild kits including the poppet and spring from the current G250V. The D400 is a slightly different story in that SP is phasing out support for parts, but the kits will be available into the future, and it's very unlikely to need any additional parts that could not be easily found from a donor reg. I have 6 D300s and I've never-not once- needed any part other than rebuild kits, exhaust valves, and o-rings for any of them.

Used regulators are clearly not for everyone; as awap mentioned this keeps the market nice and low for the rest of us!

well here is the deal. i am interested in buying a used set of apeks xtx100 and used xtx octo on here. i am tossing the idea around cause i know a must will be to service as soon as i receive them

No problem with Apeks either.

I think a little clarification is in order:
  • "recent-used": less than 10 years old: no problem whatsoever with the big guys like Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, etc...
  • "old-used": over 10 years old: stick to awap and halocline's recommandations and you'll be fine. The older Scubapro's are actually better than the current one, except the G250V and the A700. The older Aqualung second stages are not so good, until they bought Apeks.

halocline, I think you look at the topic from a person who knows how to fix and rebuild the regs an as someone who has the tools and kits or can source the kits and parts.

If you look at the same topic from someone who is new to all the reg business they have to rely on the the store or some technician. So they have to factor that extra cost in.

You are correct about the first service, it might be a bit deceptive. But I always rebuild a used reg unless it's coming from the tech. I just do not know what the story was for the reg and who rebuilt it before etc. etc. The reg can have a good IP lock but it can also come from a salt environment and the parts might be stuck. I just like to know the history from the last rebuilt.

Now it is not that big of a deal if you have the tools and know how to rebuild it. People who do not have that knowledge and tools will spend more money on tools. And they might not be willing to do that anyways.

The older Aqualung second stages are not so good, until they bought Apex.

That is a matter of opinion. I prefer the old, all metal US Divers/Aqua Lung second stages over anything made today.

Lots of good stuff, lots of BS so far. Here is something to think about when anyone says that Aqualung regs can't be serviced - Service Kit PN-900001 is the first stage kit for the following regs:
Conshelf XII (Introduced in 1972)
Conshelf XIV
Conshelf 20
Conshelf 21
Conshelf 22
Conshelf SE
Conshelf SE2
Conshelf SE3
Titan

So the same kit will do the Aqualung 1st stages from 1972 up to today.

As for the Aqualung 2nd stages, Kerby Morgan used the Aqualung 2nd stage design abd rubber for their Superflow reg which is what is on their hard hats which are used to 1,000 feet and deeper.

That is a matter of opinion. I prefer the old, all metal US Divers/Aqua Lung second stages over anything made today.

That's absolutely true.

Mine is based on the fact that, after quite a few A/B tests of the barrel poppet designs against the classic downstream designs, I realized the barrel poppet's have a noticeably smoother air delivery.

Scubapro has been using the barrel poppet design since 1969 with the 109. For some reasons, Aqualung has never adopted this design until they bought Apeks. Now all their high end seconds use it.

The other vintage vs modern debate is about the quantity of plastic. The general opinion is the vintage gear have way less plastic, therefore less dry mouth, and possibly better repeatability of assembly. That I fully endorse.

I also like barrel poppet 2nds, but the one 108 (classic downstream, metal case) that I have rebuilt works really well, far better than the current plastic downstreams. So the old metal conshelf 2nds might be like that. Still, in general I would advise buyers to look for barrel poppet 2nds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom