Uses for failed tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
I thought you were testing an old steel tank. The old steel tanks hold up well if they don't get water in them.

That was me :D My tank didn't pass hydro. Well, actually the burette readings were around 9. The tester suggested that I get it done in another place (he actually overpressurized it by about 700 PSI over test pressure during the test) but I'd rather have a wider margin for safety.

Great bell! Although I think I'd rather go for the lamp. Great conversation piece.

Jorbar1551:
fill it with beer...pressurize it and it could be a miniature keg
Sounds doable. How many tarks to hold a 5 gal batch?

Seriously I'm thinking about a radio project (resonate cavities to be used in duplexer aplications) using a pre 88 AL80. They look like about the right size for 2 meters. Might be the start of a garage bussiness. Will keep you all posted if it works and can be done on a cost effective basis

cut the top off and use the bottom part as a garbage can for your office or something..

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone had a whole bunch of them an used them for a fence to line the driveway. Looked kinda cool.

must have been Dr Bill's place. :wink:

Just curious: Anyone know why these things aren't receycled? Seems to me that there is a SERIOUS amount of aluminum (or steel) in a failed tank, especially compared to the coke can or soup can that posters scream at us to recycle from all quarters. So why aren't failed scuba tanks recycled?

If you cut the bottoms of the tanks off at various lengths and suspend the tops from chains, I bet one could make a set of unique wind chimes that would be functional even in a hurricane.

Aluminums don't really have the tone for chimes. Steels will give good tone, and a set sounds really good, especially if you have a neighbor yo want to REALLY annoy.

Topless aluminums make good umbrella stands that don't tend to walk off and keep the floor dry, The tops bolted to the bench make good valve rework stub vises.

BTW aluminum CAN be welded with an oxy-acetylene rig, but it's tricky, don't cut for beans though. To cut aluminum tanks with hand tools a heavy duty Skill saw with carbide tipped blade works well. Wear earplugs if you can still hear.

Bored out a bit at the valve aluminums also make good octopus habitat.
FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom