Uses for failed tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
Now, there's an idea. Have someone weld legs and a head on it, screw a tail into the threads, and tell everyone it's your pony.

Can you weld aluminum with an oxy-aceteline setup? I don't think so, but I have access to one......My dad has some cheap electric welder, but I don't know much about those. I think I could weld aluminum with that.

I thought you were testing an old steel tank. The old steel tanks hold up well if they don't get water in them. Older aluminum tanks are getting tougher to get filled, especially in Florida where you are. I suppose you had an eddy current test done that failed your tank. If you are going to use older tanks, stick with steel.

Don't think you want to try it with an oxy-acetylene torch, however, if you heat it up hot enough and then cut off the acetylene, you may be able to see what an oxygen-aluminum fire looks like. :wink:

I would not recommend shaving a bunch of aluminum, mixing it with a bunch of rust, and igniting it. You'd be liable to hurt yourself, and if you didn't, the guys with badges would likely have an issue with it... unless you have access to a chemist somewhere. Then let them perform the experiment for you. You *do* have something that absolutely, positively needs to be in the vicinity of a *VERY* exothermic reaction, eh? :D (Disclaimer: I have never personally played with "thermite" or anything of the like, but my degree's in chemical engineering and way back in college, we *did* have some free time...)

Back on topic (i.e. fun things to do with a condemned AL tank), if you know someone who anodizes aluminum, have them give it a nice bright candy-metallic anodized finish, then rig some tubing and fittings to it, mount it in your trunk, and paint "NOx" on it. Next time you see your local coffee-can-for-a-muffler Civic driver, pop the trunk and start bragging (they won't know what the words mean, most likely). Side benefit: If you're in a cold weather locale, you don't have to put a heavy bag of whatever in the back to keep traction.

fill it with dynomite

Nothing says an inspector can't begin the viz process before the hydro, but leave off putting on the sticker until the tank comes back from hydro.

Most good shops will do this, or take at least a pre-visual peek when the valve is taken off, to check for obvious problems. If there is any doubt at that point, it makes sense to do a more thorough exam before sending it out for hydro.

PerroneFord:
If a tank is out of hydro, you're not supposed to VIP it. This is quite common with older tanks.

KBeck:
You know, JahJah, I think you qualify as an official Florida Conch. You've got that perfect sense of humor mixed with just the right amount of practicality!

I can't figure it out. My bed has one side up against a wall, yet somedays I wake up on the humorous side and other days the serious....

...I was so confused that I moved all the crap off of my junky old loveseat (it's older than I am but I got it for free!) and started sleeping on that. Nothing changed. If I woke up on the wrong side of my loveseat, I'd be on the computer desk and I've never woken up there.

Honestly, the only things I'm seroius about are the ones people don't like jokes about :wink: I have a serious streak, I really do, and life's not a joke to me. I read alot and think up puns and wisecracks before I know it. I say things before I think about them. That gets me into trouble when it's a serious streak and I talk before I think :) I am quite practical too, yet I don't love practical jokes. go figure. I really am sleeping on my loveseat, but only because I don't want to move the crap off of my bed back onto the loveseat so I can sleep there again. One of those things on the bed is this darn scuba tank!

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroneFord
If a tank is out of hydro, you're not supposed to VIP it. This is quite common with older tanks.
oxyhacker:
Nothing says an inspector can't begin the viz process before the hydro, but leave off putting on the sticker until the tank comes back from hydro.

Most good shops will do this, or take at least a pre-visual peek when the valve is taken off, to check for obvious problems. If there is any doubt at that point, it makes sense to do a more thorough exam before sending it out for hydro.

I always check the inside of AL tanks before sending out for Hydro, especially if they are 6351 alloy.
Why send it out for hydro if it has a crack in the neck?

DEEPLOU:
I always check the inside of AL tanks before sending out for Hydro, especially if they are 6351 alloy.
Why send it out for hydro if it has a crack in the neck?

Agreed, but remember the O.P. says he took it to hydro himself. Not that the shop sent it.

Well, Jahjah, there's always the need to see tanks explode...

Back
Top Bottom