Uses for failed tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
What were the given reasons for it failing VIP?

I took it straight to the local hydro place becuase I was tired of people telling me dive shops wouldn't touch the tank. After that, I took it to the only shop in town that would VIP it. It failed because of one very small crack. One guy vipped it and said it was ok but I asked that they test it with some new tool they have in that gives them an even better magnification and when they tested with that they saw one very tiny crack.

So,

You got it Hydro'd and it passed, then got it VIPed and it failed the Eddy Test. That type of "small crack" has killed more than one fill station operator.

turn it into an ashtray, divers are big time smokers. :joke:

PerroneFord:
So,

You got it Hydro'd and it passed, then got it VIPed and it failed the Eddy Test. That type of "small crack" has killed more than one fill station operator.

Yep. The question now is, will it work as a lamp with a crack :wink:

I'm going to see if I can find out how much money I can get out of it as scrap metal, the guy at the dive shop told me $10 or so easy.

If you get a few more, you could make quite a set of wind chimes (just don't stand below them). I just keep my old ones lying around the house.

Are tanks covered with a shield at your LDS when they are filled? Just curious since most of the time when I get mine filled, my buddy at the fire department fills mine. The dept he works for has a dive team and all the compressors have shields.

drbill:
If you get a few more, you could make quite a set of wind chimes (just don't stand below them). I just keep my old ones lying around the house.
they must be chick magnets :eyebrow:

I considered offering to let a buddy dive with it. If he doesn't suit up very politically correctly (ie: doesn't check his air before he gets in the water) then he finds out he's got an empty tank :) I thought of that right after I thought about clipping an old fire extinguisher on my BC and telling my dive buddy it's a pony bottle......:)

Now, there's an idea. Have someone weld legs and a head on it, screw a tail into the threads, and tell everyone it's your pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom