Using a wing set-up for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't worry about "replacing" your current gear. If you truly go down the path to the dark side you will only ADD to your gear - nothing will ever get displaced. That reg you think might be replaced will become a stage reg, or a deco reg, or your third backup primary reg, or parts.

You will need a bigger house. A bigger truck. A more understanding significant other.

And more $$$.

As others have said, buy the bpw. The plate will last for your lifetime, the harness a really long time, and you can always buy more (not replace) wings. (my two daughters, SIL, and wife own nothing but single tank bpw rigs for their warm water excursions)

A BP/wing is just another BC -- no more, no less (well, actually, maybe a lot less!).
/QUOTE]

Actually, its less and more.......more or less.

Last edited:
For example, the regulator/octo setup I got is a aqualung LEGEND DIN set-up. Yes I know there are better and yes I realize 2 years from now mine "may" be somewhat obsolete BUT at least it will be capable if I so desire.

Why on earth would you think your regulator might be obsolete in two years? Regulators have not really improved in two decades, let alone two years. And good ones (yours is a very good one) will last a lifetime.

Buying a BP/W for recreational diving is a great idea and you will love using it. But don't get up in the hype about new gear in general, it's really just that......hype. Buy what you need when you need it. There are ALWAYS good deals on used gear around.

are they kind of a pain to set-up ?
The webbing harness isn't hard to set up and there are a lot of instructionals to get you started. The best part is that they are almost infinitely adjustable and you can tweak them as much as you want once you've dived with it and figure out how you like it set up for particular conditions. You'll probably adjust it once to your liking and not touch it at all.
On a per dive basis, the BP and wing are 2 pieces but literally take a few seconds to put together. Assembling the tank and regs onto it takes no longer than a regular BC. It also packs way smaller in a dive bag than a jacket BC.

Secondly, when looking to buy tech gear wing set-ups should I be looking into a single tank set-up first or go right for a double tank set-up?
If you're diving single tanks, get a singles wing. There are some dual purpose wings on the market but, from what I've found out here, are generally not recommended. Wing sizing is probably the one thing you should look into more before you decide on buying something.

The webbing harness isn't hard to set up and there are a lot of instructionals to get you started. The best part is that they are almost infinitely adjustable and you can tweak them as much as you want once you've dived with it and figure out how you like it set up for particular conditions. You'll probably adjust it once to your liking and not touch it at all.
On a per dive basis, the BP and wing are 2 pieces but literally take a few seconds to put together. Assembling the tank and regs onto it takes no longer than a regular BC. It also packs way smaller in a dive bag than a jacket BC.

If you're diving single tanks, get a singles wing. There are some dual purpose wings on the market but, from what I've found out here, are generally not recommended. Wing sizing is probably the one thing you should look into more before you decide on buying something.

thanks...that was actually going to be my next question. From everything I have read it looks like 30lbs or so lift is what I will need. I am mainly a cold water diver so routinely wear 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. Currently I need 24# of weights to get me down with my traditional BC. I "may" be on the heavier side but really close to what I need. I tried taking 2 pounds off my last dive last summer and became very floaty in shallow water near the end of the dive.

Shoot me your email address. I have an article on BPW's that will answer many of your questions. Including accessories and how to adjust it.

From everything I have read it looks like 30lbs or so lift is what I will need. I am mainly a cold water diver so routinely wear 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. Currently I need 24# of weights to get me down with my traditional BC. I "may" be on the heavier side but really close to what I need. I tried taking 2 pounds off my last dive last summer and became very floaty in shallow water near the end of the dive.

Wifebuddy and I have 30lb single tank wings which works for drysuits and thick+multilayered wetsuits in our NorCal waters. That should be fine for you as well with just a 7mm wetsuit - actually, if that's all you dive, you might be able to get away with a smaller wing. I'd recommend to do the buoyancy math for the gear you dive with; there's a spreadsheet floating around on the interwebs called "ultimate wing lift calculator" which will do the math for you.

Also, just in case this is what you were thinking about, carrying 24lb of lead doesn't equate to needing a 24lb wing.

I'm a relatively new diver too and found SB soon after my OW.

Later that year I completed my DIR setup with long hose and BPW, and followed up to get training for it.

50 dives later, I swapped gear with my wife for a few dives. She was using rental gear. I was pleasantly surprised how the jacket BCD was just as easy to keep trim and streamline, contrary to its disadvantages that are usually mentioned.

So in the end I figured that for recreational diving (around here anyway where I use 0 or 1 lead block), the kind of BC you have is secondary to developing good buoyancy skills.

But still, I think it's a waste to buy a set of gear (i.e. Jacket BCD) that is essentially the same as what I can rent.

I've owned two Jacket BCs: one was too small and I sold it. And I have bought one wing. The BP/wing is what I bought last. I now have another Jacket BC to sell and I won't buy another.

The first time I used the wing I remember that I felt so much more free in the water without the monstrosity looping around with big useless pockets. There was so much less drag too - this was nice when there was current. Also, I needed less weights for the wing is not littered with plastic do-dads that accomplish little and has a lot less material.

Also, my wing works in my tropical suit in warm water and my cold Canadian lake wet-suit too - whereas my last jacket BC was too tight with my cold water suit. I make a few adjustments and I am ready to go.

I have since getting the wing taken my first foray into technical diving with planned deco-stops and deco-bottles and the extra tanks attach easily.

So, I was pleased with the wing/BP for all the diving I do; I wish I had only made my first BC a wing and BP - for then I would not have needed to waste money buying others.

MT

I do realize that by the time I start tech diving, I may want to buy newer stuff than what I have, BUT at least the stuff I have will be tech capable. For example, the regulator/octo setup I got is a aqualung LEGEND DIN set-up. Yes I know there are better and yes I realize 2 years from now mine "may" be somewhat obsolete BUT at least it will be capable if I so desire. That was my only reasoning for going to a BP/wing. I was thinking of getting a newer BC anyways. If I buy a BP/Wing single tank set-up instead of a newer "regular" BC then I can start getting used to that style now AND when I start tech diving, I might be able to still use it as opposed to a regular BC.

i have 4 legends. They are great. Simple to service. Easy to tune, good breathing. And sell for cheap on ebay. I have two for my twins, one for stage/pony, and one for vacationing.

I got my BP/W after my OW check dives. Where I got certified there is now at least one shop who does their certifications in BP/Ws. So there isn't a time when it's too early to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom