Using an integrated computer on vacation diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have the vt4, but I do have an oceanic atom 2.0 with wireless. With it I am able to dive using regs without the transmitter without changing anything. Don't just assume that the computer is using the same algorithm for the free dive function as it does for the scuba function...assumptions like that can get you screwed up. I am unaware of what algorithms your computer actually runs, but I'll bet free dive mode doesn't have an ascent speed warning, and doesn't do safety stops.

I'm in the 'get your manual and learn your computer' camp on this one. Free dive mode is for breath hold dives, not scuba. You should be able to dive that computer without the transmitter without having to change anything. Dive it in normal dive mode or with the correct nitrox setting, when it can't find the transmitter it will default to work like other non-air integrated models. That said, get the manual out. Diving is one of the things in life where 'when all else fails, read the directions' isn't even a good joke.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/media/wysiwyg/manuals/12-5213-r02_Eng.pdf

I talked to one of the DMs about which dive mode to use and he said what you guys did. They see a lot of folks show up with integrated computers using them with rental gear. So I just use it as normal. It didn't give me any annoying alarms since it couldn't see the transmitter and otherwise worked beautifully for the dives.

It makes since that the nitrogen loading could be different for free dive mode, but the manual doesn't make it very clear.

Thanks,
Gary

Back
Top Bottom