Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Only if LDS is 20% more expensive

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Only if LDS is 30% more expnenive

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tortuga... For real man, you are defending shops that charge 20% over MSRP on gear

No, I'm not. I buy lots of stuff online, retail or ebay, and used from right here on SB too. I just don't go to a shop to try something on, knowing full well in advance that I have no intention of buying it - that's the topic of the thread. If you think dive shops who charge over MSRP justifies you using them, that's your call. The S stands for "suggested" by the way

My old LDS in Australia sells Jet fins with SP spring straps for AUD$428. That's right, four hundred and twenty eight dollars. That's USD$450. I bought mine from LP for $140 including the straps (plus shipping) and fitted the straps myself. No way would I pay $428. But I didn't go into my LDS and ask to try them on for size first. If other people want to pay that, good for them. Caveat emptor

Dude, according to your profile location, you're working in CHINA. You're not exactly the poster boy for "buy local."

I live in China. I'm not promoting "buy local". Buy from wherever you like, go and try stuff on then order it online. I don't care, I don't own a dive shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule #1 - be an informed consumer. Do your research (online or otherwise) and have that knowledge with you when you enter the LDS. If they have what you're looking for you can negotiate the price. If they won't negotiate, just say "thank you" and go on your way. But for goodness sake, don't be so rude as to walk in cold, ask a bunch of questions, try on or otherwise fumble around with their gear, then go home to shop online. Put yourself in their shoes. Yeah, yeah, a store is just a store to some of y'all but they are people trying to make a living just like everyone else. It's up to you to safeguard yourself from excessive pricing and keep yourself from falling into the unethical abyss of being a user. My $.02.

And the only loyalty I show my LDS (of 20 years relationship) is that I always give them first shot. They know I'm informed and they usually know if they stand a chance of winning the business.

Rule #1 - be an informed consumer. Do your research (online or otherwise) and have that knowledge with you when you enter the LDS. If they have what you're looking for you can negotiate the price. If they won't negotiate, just say "thank you" and go on your way. But for goodness sake, don't be so rude as to walk in cold, ask a bunch of questions, try on or otherwise fumble around with their gear, then go home to shop online. Put yourself in their shoes. Yeah, yeah, a store is just a store to some of y'all but they are people trying to make a living just like everyone else. It's up to you to safeguard yourself from excessive pricing and keep yourself from falling into the unethical abyss of being a user. My $.02.

And the only loyalty I show my LDS (of 20 years relationship) is that I always give them first shot. They know I'm informed and they usually know if they stand a chance of winning the business.

Unfortunately, one good technique for successful negotiation is to get some sort of commitment from the other party. That may mean you have to let both parties invest some time so there is a sense of commitment to closing the sale.

I live in Southern NH and think your post may be a bit confusing. There are more than 2 shops in Southern NH so some folks might make an incorrect guess about who you are talking about. There are shops in Manchester, Londonderry, Atkinson, Portsmouth, Rye and Merrimack.

I deal with the one in Londonderry and they've been reasonable and very supportive.

The was one in Concord also. He refused to try to work out a deal on 3 sets of gear when I re-entered the scuba world and was the reason I started buying on-line. Nice guy, total idiot as a business person. Went belly up 2 years ago.

There are shops in Manchester, Londonderry, Atkinson, Portsmouth, Rye and Merrimack.

You are of course correct. And the two shops that I'm thinking of are on that list - but as it's my opinion and my experience I didn't feel the need to call them out publicly by name. Just because I refuse to give them my business doesn't mean I should go out of my way to discourage others' from giving them a chance. It's the behavior that I wish would get better - and I'd be willing to patron them if they improved.

Unfortunately, one good technique for successful negotiation is to get some sort of commitment from the other party. That may mean you have to let both parties invest some time so there is a sense of commitment to closing the sale.

My poll question was excessively blunt, but the response was interesting.

Entering a store and wasting their time knowing that consummating a purchase is not possible is being a rude prick as Tortuga pointed out.

Negotiating on every little tidbit is also grinding on everyone, I only do so on the pricey gear.

I have entered a store, fondled the merchandise (and even try something on) and started the purchase process willing to purchase, but knowing the LDS may not want to bend on price. Until I invest time and enter their store, I don't know their asking price. I don't know if they will bend. That's their choice. So I try on the gear, see if it fits, it it looks good, is well made, etc... Once that is done and acceptable, I usually start by telling him I am ready to purchase today and pay cash (saving him up to 5% credit card fees) but need to get closer to the on-line price. I have been told no deal or I can only drop 10% from MSRP in which I politely decline. I don't try it a second time with any LDS, once they clearly tell me no negotiation, then repeating would put me back up in the 1st group of rude pricks.

I have also been discounted close to on-line (+10 to +20%) in which case I purchase on the spot as a committed to. Not often, but enough to keep trying.

I have also been creative packages (free air, etc) and that has made paying a higher more acceptable even if the $$ don't align because they are valuing me as a customer.

That's my 2 cents, right or wrong.

I didn't see the thread discussing the shop that charged $25 for you to try on items so I have to ask, was the $25 deducted from the purchase price if you tried on then bought from them? I've seen instances like this locally, and not with dive shops. I have a close friend in the flooring business. He will go to your house and measure the room(s) you are interested in changing flooring for, then give you a free estimate. He has told me that there are some other local competitors who charge as much as $50 to do the same thing, then deduct it from the purchase price if you buy from them. I guess I wouldn't have a huge problem with that, although I would be inclined to give the business that isn't charging for the estimate (or trying on gear in our example) the first shot at making the sale.

I do not at all have a problem with anyone purchasing dive gear online, or doing whatever it takes to get the best price they can. I've purchased a few things online myself, although I do prefer to give my dive shop the first shot at my business. I do, however, dislike the idea of going somewhere to try something on when you have no intention of making the purchase there and would not do so myself. If fit matters and price is a huge difference, I would have to consider just buying online untried and hope I get the size right the first time. If I'm going into the LDS and trying something on, I have already determined beforehand that I am willing to pay the price they are asking for the product.

My poll question was excessively blunt, but the response was interesting.

Entering a store and wasting their time knowing that consummating a purchase is not possible is being a rude prick as Tortuga pointed out.

Negotiating on every little tidbit is also grinding on everyone, I only do so on the pricey gear.

I have entered a store, fondled the merchandise (and even try something on) and started the purchase process willing to purchase, but knowing the LDS may not want to bend on price. Until I invest time and enter their store, I don't know their asking price. I don't know if they will bend. That's their choice. So I try on the gear, see if it fits, it it looks good, is well made, etc... Once that is done and acceptable, I usually start by telling him I am ready to purchase today and pay cash (saving him up to 5% credit card fees) but need to get closer to the on-line price. I have been told no deal or I can only drop 10% from MSRP in which I politely decline. I don't try it a second time with any LDS, once they clearly tell me no negotiation, then repeating would put me back up in the 1st group of rude pricks.

I have also been discounted close to on-line (+10 to +20%) in which case I purchase on the spot as a committed to. Not often, but enough to keep trying.

I have also been creative packages (free air, etc) and that has made paying a higher more acceptable even if the $$ don't align because they are valuing me as a customer.

That's my 2 cents, right or wrong.

That is my basic procedure. But sometimes when you start negotiating and tell them there are better prices out there some shop owners just go ballistics.
I just don't understand. We are in a business relationship me=buyer you=seller.
It's not a love affair, where if I buy on-line I'm being unfaithful.

I don't just go there INTENTIONALLY.
I see something I like, I try it on and try to negotiate a fair price, if he doesn't want to, I just leave.
But I've never been there JUST TO TRY.

(this is giving me ideas, maybe I should do that at one LDS that fleeced me twice...payback)

That is my basic procedure. But sometimes when you start negotiating and tell them there are better prices out there some shop owners just go ballistics.
I just don't understand. We are in a business relationship me=buyer you=seller.
It's not a love affair, where if I buy on-line I'm being unfaithful.

I don't just go there INTENTIONALLY.
I see something I like, I try it on and try to negotiate a fair price, if he doesn't want to, I just leave.
But I've never been there JUST TO TRY.

(this is giving me ideas, maybe I should do that at one LDS that fleeced me twice...payback)

If planning on spending a good bit of $$$, it may be worth the investment of some time to work on the deal. It might be useful to talk to the owner about buying a new car. I have discovered that the LDS owner and I often bought our cars at the same car dealer. That is, the dealer with the best price. Pretty easy to go from there to what you are shopping for.

If I go to an LDS and ask to try on something, they get the first shot at the sale.
I never buy anything of significance without an idea of the going price, so if they are in the ball park and the gear fits, they make a sale.
At some point, about 20% for me, I will feel taken advantage of and I will walk away and order on-line if they cannot adjust the price.

Grumpy...I seem to be a lot like you. When I try, not only will they get the first kick at it but I will also let them know what price I can get it elsewhere (dive store) or online. If despite that their best quote is still head and shoulder more expensive than I can get it somewhere else then I will let them know and thank them for their time. With time, I have compartimentalized what and where I will go for my purchases...just like Rhoneman, I paid my first TUSA visio tri-ex 120.00 locally but two weeks ago it felt to the ground and I shattered the tempred glass. Last time I look I could get it for 53.00 at Leisurepro...guess where the replacement will be coming from.

Wetsuits/drysuit...bought from a dive store located in another city. First rec equipment set-up was in fact purchased in another city because not only I felt I got better quality doing so but also for similar price as my LDS it also included an entire 7mm wetsuit combo which I would have had to pay extra for locally. I even showed it the promo flyer and he did not bulge much.

Back
Top Bottom