Utila in April-Any Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I was there I attended some "whaleshark talks" put on by some marine biologists. This was something that was talked about at one of the seminars. I honestly don't know where they got their research from.

I'd also like to see what information you have and the source of these patterns. Having actively worked for more than six years with Deep Blue Resorts Whale Shark research program I can categorically state that we have plenty of Whale Shark sightings during the year, maybe you could email Steve Fox steve@deepblueutila.com for some current info.

Somoene mentioned shore diving, but failed to mention Coral View.

I've done a little bit of shore diving off of Coral View - mostly training dives - but it certainly is an easy, doable, and enjoyable shore diving site. If there is a better location to shore dive on Utila (outside of the AI's away from town), I'd like to know about it.

i shore dive string ray point and a small reef between my home on treasure beach and diamond cay from shore, very pretty. the shore dives in front of utopia resort are very nice too.

IMAG0323.jpgactually come to think of it, all the homes, resorts and vacation rentals on the south and southwest shore have amazing snorkeling and diving right in front of them. places like (from east to west) deep blue resort, utopia resort, the cabana at big rock (rental), the pineapple house (rental), the coral house (rental pictured above) etc. etc. get out of town heading west towards the cays and everyone has a "house" reef.

Last edited:
Well sure... you are away from town living on a reef. I'd expect there to be shore diving there, after all that's where the boats go everyday. I'm refering to in town, somewhere I can ride my bike to carrying gear and recieve an air fill and be in the water minutes later. I'm aware of Coral View, and... ? Let's work down the shoreline... Alton's? Nope. Deep Blue? Nope. Utila Dive Center? Nope. Underwater Vision? Nope. Utila Water Sports? Nope. Parrots, Captain Morgans, Eco-Marine? Nope, nope, and nope. Anybody I've missed?

Well sure... you are away from town living on a reef. I'd expect there to be shore diving there, after all that's where the boats go everyday. I'm refering to in town, somewhere I can ride my bike to carrying gear and recieve an air fill and be in the water minutes later. I'm aware of Coral View, and... ? Let's work down the shoreline... Alton's? Nope. Deep Blue? Nope. Utila Dive Center? Nope. Underwater Vision? Nope. Utila Water Sports? Nope. Parrots, Captain Morgans, Eco-Marine? Nope, nope, and nope. Anybody I've missed?

My favorite shore dive is from what we call the airport reef. Entering the water opposite Airport Caves buoy, by the house known as "Paradise Regained", which has a relatively easy access although not so easy as Coral View. You have to work your way out amongst the corals and take a little care, and you want a calm day, but it is one of my favorite dives on the island - from there up to Ted's Point. Love that stretch of reef (although I spend as much time in the sand as in the reef) and it's right on my doorstep - well not quite but I can get to it in less than 2 minutes from Alton's and we supply tanks & rental gear to customers who are staying in the vacation rentals around that area for shore diving.

You could bike to it with your gear easily. In fact I know at least one person who does that regularly.

Heck you could easily walk that from Alton's, it's like diving here. Put on your gear..now hike! Clamber down those rocks, do your dive, crawl back up those rocks and hike back to the truck. Bonus..we get to do this just on the edge of hypothermia,

One of the best dives I had on Utila was a site that I hear used to be called Pumpkin Beach but no longer has a buoy. It was a rolling hills type of sandy bottom and you never knew what was over the next rise. Hey look ! a nurse shark and it's accompanied by the biggest bar jack I've ever seen. What the heck is that ? It's red tipped sea goddess. Over here, it's a hundred baby harlequin bass who haven't figured out the hiding in plain sight thing yet so they're going ballistic when we swim over them. Look at that conch, it's been bitten clean in half by something ? shark ?

I never look closely at the access/egress points but IIRC that whole east side is accessible for shore diving.

Yeah, I've dove airport caves from the point you discuss, Rob. A bit hard carrying a backpack full of gear plus an air tank on my POS Bacini, however. When I do that dive I always take the tuk-tuk, ask for pick-up in 1hr30, and payment upon pick-up. Simple enough. What I wasn't aware of was Alton's renting gear and letting it walk off their property. I can't say for sure which shops allow or deny this option, but I'm guessing most shops would frown upon gear rental walking off their property versus onto their boats. But maybe not?

Stout, we'll have to do a few shore dives once you arrive. I'm not sure I know the area you are discussing.

I find that I can just about fit two people, two tanks, two full sets of gear on my scooter - I need someone who is an experienced passenger to be able to hold some fins, etc! It looks kinda comical, but it works :) Also round to what is called Paradise Cove by Red Cliff there are some nice shore dives to be had as well. And one of my other favorites is Rocky Point when the tide is high. It's a bit shallow getting out with a low tide but still doable. I usually will snorkel out there in very shallow water pushing my scuba unit in front of me. It's shallow but still easier than wading with all the gear through knee deep water. Plus I get to check out all the juveniles and look for Utila's endemic Red Cheek Goby! Only recently discovered the DNA testing confirms it as a new species.

http://www.oceansciencefoundation.org/josf/josf3web1.pdf
New Species of Goby Discovered, REEF Data Support the Research | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

As for renting gear, yes we do rent. Mostly to the trade winds vacation home rentals area. Anything from snorkel sets to full scuba sets, and we deliver & collect tanks anywhere we can get a vehicle to.

Pumpkin Hill buoy was always a great dive - often the buoy was situated in 50ft to 60ft of water so it was little dived. Which of course means plenty of fish :) Love that dive site, it's just in an awkward place in terms of scheduling, depth, and sea conditions. I never did a shore dive at Pumpkin Hill Beach. I walk my dogs there often and it has never looked too accessible to me.

Back
Top Bottom