Utila - What is your favorite place to stay and dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Utila Cays diving is at the same property that CM used to be at... There are a couple important differences... Once again, capping the number of divers to 10 at MOST...vs what CM had which was 20+ on a boat that was smaller than the Utila Cays Diving boat. They set-up, wash and put away all of the gear saving guests their vacation time. The instructors have 1000+ dives in the Utila Cays alone. You pay for the experience...

And the price difference? Well, CM charges $35/dive (according to their website) and UCD charges $45-$31 (depending on how many people are on the boat). A PRIVATE boat will cost $45/dive. A boat with 5 people will cost you $35/dive. SAME price as CM - with LOADS more value :) Oh yeah...and the shore diving is FANTASTIC! :)

Well, the 2 times I spent 1 week+ there, I dodn't remember having 20+ divers on CM boat, but more in the range of 10 or maybe 12 (but I may be wrong). But I don't really care how many divers there are on the boat, what is important to me is the number of divers in the water around me. Diving on the north side, CM as it used to be or UCD will be probably the same : 1 DM/instructor with up to 4 divers or so, with no other boat around so less likely to meet a lot of divers group. (Not taking into consideration the fact that last time I was diving solo, so not seeing any diver for 90% of the dive).
Regarding to the additional service, I agree that there are people who prefer that someone else is taking care of their gear. I don't at all. I rely on my gear, and I won't let someone else setting it, or taking care of it (and in my experience, when I've had gear problems, it was more often that not, that is was due to a DM or crew "taking care" of it when I was not looking).

For the price difference, well, according to their website CM charge $25/ dive starting at 8 dives (it was $22.5 in 2011 summer), and there is a discount when you also dive on the afternoon (I think it was -20%).
According to UCD website, for 2-3 divers it's $50, at 5 divers it will be $45, and starting at 8 divers, it will be $35.
And equipment is at $35 a day versus included at CM. Not that I really care except in case of gear problem or delayed luggage.

So it looks to me that price difference is closer to twice the price than on par as you say. Except of course if you have first hand info that don't appear on UCD web site, as you present yourself as a dive shop owner/employee living in the Cays, with a picture of Hotel Keyla dock on your profile. :eyebrow:

Let's be clear. I was disappointed when I saw CM moving from the Cays.
I was interested when I discovered that UCD was taking up the place, as the Cays and the north side were what made me come several times, and plan come back again.
But UCD/you decided to upgrade the standard (and hot water in hotel Kayla is a not a bad thing, even for an increase from $5 to $10-15), and the price tag for the dives has followed the same road, despite your claims. There's no shame in it, but you should be aware of that, not denying it.

Hard to compare 2011 prices with 2013. And I spent 6 months diving with CM last year and there was definitely not a 20% discount for the afternoon. But now it's just banter about what you may have paid in 2011 vs the current prices and specials. And as to gear, well let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference in gear quality. We will never appeal to the back packer types nor is that our market.

Hard to compare 2011 prices with 2013.
Well in my last post, I compare published price of both website, assuming they are current.
. We will never appeal to the back packer types nor is that our market.
No problem with that, just don't pretend the prices are the same when its' definitively not the case.

Is this true, the insinuation that most town based dive ops are hesitant to go to the north side ? I was at Alton's earlier this year and pretty much every day was north side day, weather permitting. I've also run into some weirdness with one shop not wanting to go north side unless there were a certain number of paying customers, ie not students doing their two free fun dives offered as part of their course package.

Captain Morgans advertises a discount for afternoon dives providing the diver has been on the morning boat Link

A boat with 5 divers on it will cost $45/dive not the $35/dive mentioned in post #20 Link

So assuming one buys a package at CM where they charge you based on the number of dives you do, not based on how busy they are then, yes, you could indeed be in the close to twice the price category if we take the reef fee into account ( no mention of it on UCD's website. ....Damn, almost called them UDC.

I never claimed the prices were the same.

I appreciate each point of view. My wife and I decided on Laguna and will be there May 25 through June 1.

Kent,

Please provide closure to this thread and post a trip report and let everyone know how the trip turned out. Have a great time!!!

Happy bubbles,

~Oldbear~

Look for a trip report in June. This time I will really complete one... well at least I will try.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful tips.

We stayed at Utopia in August. Here's my write-up from another thread:

1) food was good - lots of good options for bfast, two options for lunch and dinner which I liked. Pickier eaters might complain about having fewer options but I enjoyed them.
2) AC in the rooms is great.
3) dive shop is non-existent, dive op was very well run - super happy with the boat, captain (Elvis) and DM (Juan Carlos, aka Juca, who was back to sub for the current DM who had a minor surgery to manage)
4) Tavel was fine, some time spent waiting but we got here and they dealt with all the hassles - I just drank beer whenever things slowed down - Bango is awesome BTW, he's one of the guys who manages transfers at the airport for Alice. I was a bit grumpy about the local travel-day logistics but it worked out just fine
5) getting into town is easy by the house boat, just ask
6) Bugs can be annoying outside - we wore Insect Blocker clothes and they were a god send. Vastly outperformed everything else, including 100% DEET. STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS even if, like me, you grew up in the wilds and are used to bugs
7) The shore dive is nice, saw multiple octopus and its pretty much all you can eat provided you manage your profile - you can easily do 3 tanks a day, 4 if you really wanna go for it. Lots to see in the shallows and the wall drops past 100 feet. Saw all sorts of neat stuff on the shore dives
8) the bartender Paul is great
9) it's really a hoot of a place

Overall we definitely enjoyed ourselves.

Here are some pics:

http://m.flickr.com/photos/peternbiddle/sets/72157635121073299/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom