Uwatec smart pro battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys

I have bought a Smart Pro "for parts" off of Ebay hoping to be able to just swap the battery out and have been able to do that. I have the same result as some of you ie it powers up and seems to function normaly BUT battery shows up at 0% !!
I know my battery is fine and is the right one. I have successfully changed several batteries on my older Aladin pro which uses the same battery and is a similar challenge to change the damn thing out. That has always worked
I went out and picked up an IR dongle to try and communicate with the Smart Pro and after downloading the software from the Uwatec software was able to communicate just fine with the dive computer. BUT it also shows up in there as 0% battery!
There has got to be a way to tell the dive computer otherwise so that it will reset. (remember the info for the battery is "an estimation" according to the manual ie. it is running on a program internally that is judging that after so much usage time that battery should be at such and such a level.
Has anybody been able to change the battery and get a good battery reading after that ?

There is also the possibility that this is the reason why the computer was sold for parts but after seeing so many people having similar problems I tend to think we are missing a software patch or loophole that of course is protected for safety reasons. (you would not want to tell your computer that the battery is just fine and then have it truly run dead in the middle of dark blue yonder)

Any input would be great
has somebody used their computer in a similar situation and found that all works fine in which case I can just stamp on the back a personal reminder t change out the battery again in a couple of years and forget that albeit usefull battery guage.

Thanks for your help

Emmanuel

Changing the battery and the oil is a walk in the park, the only problem I have after replacing is the service spanner.
The reset as given as a solution works for the smart com but the smart pro has an other layout.

Does anyone have an idea how to reset the smart pro after a battery change? I have read somewhere scubapro resets these with some special IrDa software.

Thanks in advance,

Bas

Resize of IMG_2100.jpg

After changing their batteries, I have successfully reset several Aladin computers using the procedure shown in this video : http://mkotva.cz/UW_comp/Images/A_reset.mpg

It has worked fine with Aladin models Smart, Smart Pro, Air, AirZ and Pro. I recognize that I have never tried it with a Smart Com (simply because one of those has not yet landed at my bench). However, from its User Manual it seems to me it has the same four (4) contacts as the rest of the Aladins. So, I would tend to think that the same external reset procedure with a 3V battery shown in the video must work for the Aladin Com. You just have to be careful in identifying which contact is +, -, B and E in each computer to apply the voltages correctly. Whoever is brave enough to try it, please post the results.

Hi Arturo,

The video you link to is the reset for the "old" Aladin smart model with the Memomouse system to transfer data to the pc. The reset can also be done through the interface and the wakeup function.
The newer smart com and smart pro models use an IrDa device for communication with a pc which is embedded in the dive computer.

I have been in contact with scubapro and they confirm they use "special software" to reset the smart pro and smart com after a battery change and they will not hand this software over to users.
It looks like they removed the wakeup function when they upgraded the datatrac software (for the older models) to the smart trac software (for the newer models).

There is a manual on the internet to reset a new smart com (with IrDa) by connecting two contact on the circuit board but nothing on the smart pro (yet).

Regards,
Bas

Hi Popeye 328:

I see your point about the "new" Uwatec models being IR. However, since you have one computer that can not be reset sitting on your desk, as a last resort, why don´t you give it a try to the "old" external battery method to see if it works. Unless you have tried it already (or know somebody who has), there is no other way to reach to the bone of this thing. Of course the call is yours, but is just that I really resent this "secretivenesses" from Uwatec. Suunto and Oceanic behave similarly with regard to changing the battery to their top of the line models (they threat you with loosing the warranty) but, at least, they do not built in any re-start routines in the D6, D9 and OC1. Besides, they do not fill them with mineral oil and use standard 3V batteries such a CR 2450 and CR 2430, nothing like the 3,6 Volts batteries used by Uwatec.

I would call Scuba Pro and ask them you are best going strait to the horses mouth

I have emailed Scubapro and they confirmed you need the "special" software which they don't want to give out of their hands and am now waiting for an answer how much it costs only to reset the computer (battery and oil change already done).

Still hoping to find someone who discovered a work around like with the smart com.
I personally don't like to fiddle around and start short circuiting contacts on the board to find out if I can restart the damned thing.

I have emailed Scubapro and they confirmed you need the "special" software which they don't want to give out of their hands and am now waiting for an answer how much it costs only to reset the computer (battery and oil change already done).

Still hoping to find someone who discovered a work around like with the smart com.
I personally don't like to fiddle around and start short circuiting contacts on the board to find out if I can restart the damned thing.

Wish you good luck with the path you´ve chosen. Just to satisfy my curiosity, let us know how much does Scubapro asks you to reset the damned computer.

Resetting Smart Pro, Smart Com, Smart Tec

I have been able to reset all three now. The trick is, you must have a wrench icon after you replace the battery. If not, disconnect the new battery, reconnect, wait for wrench to appear. Then, jumper pins as shown in these diagrams. Computer will beep once if done correctly. Temperature will stop flashing after a short time. Note, battery level "timer" is not reset. Dunco has posted photos for Smart Com and a procedure that works.

I replace hundreds of these batteries every year and will do yours for $50. Dive Computer Battery
This includes a test dive to 100 feet. Computers are refilled with the correct mineral oil.
Warning: The solder pads under these batteries are very thin and easily damaged.
(I take no responsibility for damage caused by your self inflicted misfortune.)

SMARTPRO.jpgSmart Pro

SMARTTEC.jpgSmart Tec

Red rectangle denotes pins to jump.

Last edited:
It costs me ~$130 to send to scubapro for a new battery and full system checkout.

It also provides peace of mine.

Of course, that doesn't count the ones with batteries for life.

Back
Top Bottom