Uwatec Smart Pro or Suunto Stinger???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got One..Love it. Also dive a Console..Sherwood Wisdom. The Stinger is Great, Nice Back-up to Your computer easy to read and use and great for starting conversations at the local surface interval...Divers spot it on Your wrist a mile away..Then You can pull up Your MAX. Depth and compare notes... :coke:

Pauline:
Help needed!

People around me have shouted 2 things to me:
Uwatec SmartPro and Suunto Stinger.
Pau.

First, wrist mounted is a BIG plus, specially when you are diving in new sittuations, you can see very fast the depth, time etc, etc.
This is for me the main reassons to have a wrest mounted DC (on my right arm!!!)

Now, the next choice, Stinger or SmartPro.
What i need from a dive computer is that it tells me the information for what it's been made for, i choosed the SmartPro.
I don't need time, callendar, alarms or stopwatch functions!
To much whissels for nothing. Actually I believe that the people want to justify their money what they spend, this is why they buy a Stinger(?). It's a lot of money, $550 or Euro'
Ofcourse it looks cool too!

Well, i wanted pure functionallity and this is why i bought SmartPro. I am VERY happy with this DC.

- Big Screen
- Elastic wrest mount (works very good!)
- VERY VERY easy to oparate! I find this really very important! I find that the stinger have to much menu options!
- SmartPro is also very conservartive! Just adjust the micro bublle level to more conservartive levels! Stinger don't have this!
- Easy to understand display
- Very fast response (the screen)

Afterall, the download into your computer is very easy (or PDA with infrared), you get all the information you need, divetime, date, etc, etc.

So, you can tell that i like the SmartPro :07:
For some people it looks big and ugly, but this thing is made for its purpose, diving with a rocksollid DC.

Thanks for all that info.
Big and ugly doesn't really matter to me, it's for diving.

I'm hoping to get my new Air Z Nitrox a testdive before I leave for Bonaire.

:D

Pauline:
Thanks for all that info.
Big and ugly doesn't really matter to me, it's for diving.

I'm hoping to get my new Air Z Nitrox a testdive before I leave for Bonaire.

:D

Pauline, You can never have to many Toys at the shore or on the Boat. I'll close with that. There's really a big difference in the two though. My Bell and Whistle watch is with Me 24 hours a day. It also helps Me plan My next day of diving and recalls all My info in an instant to record..I love downloading dives on My computer..but I'm not a slave to it. So put them both on Your wish list..and pick a day to drop a hint about a birthday or christmas present...Have fun on Your upcoming Dive... :14:

Hello Pauline,

I have the same problem. Meanwihle I decided to buy an air integrated system, then it is Suunto Cobra/Vytec or Uwatec Smart com.
Because of the bigger dysplay and very adaptive algorhythm I tend towards the Smart com. Battery has to be replaced by factory, but only once in 5 - 10 years, and then a test of continuing proper function is really sensible in such a vital thing.

Pauline:
Hm...this is getting difficult.

It's always nice to know a few pro's and con's of the computers, but now it seems I can only do it wrong, haha..

I now have divers telling me:
"Suunto is what you need, rest is crap"
"Uwatec is what you need, rest is crap"

Where to go from here???

Scubapro has some rebates going on right now you might check this out.

http://www.scubapro.com/rebates/premium_savings.asp

I dive an AIR Z NITROX and love it. I have never dove with the Suuntos but I have dove with many buddies who do and I have not seen one malfunction at all. I definitely believe Suunto is the most dependable computer for recreational divers. I just liked the way the Uwatec does the hoseless air integration.

I believe that a person should wait until the manufacturer gets the bugs worked out of a new model. Sometimes this may take a year or two. This may be the wrong way to look at things but from my experience with dive computers all the failures I have personally seen have been on first year models. I am not saying that a 3rd year version will not malfunction, I'm just saying that your odds maybe better. The air Z is not quite as advanced as some of the other computers on the market but Uwatec has had plenty of time to work out the problems (if there ever was any with this unit). It is hard for me to resist the temptation to buy the latest and greatest but when it comes to dive computers I just feel it is best to wait.

Just some random thoughts

Gillty

Pauline:
Hm...this is getting difficult.

It's always nice to know a few pro's and con's of the computers, but now it seems I can only do it wrong, haha..

I now have divers telling me:
"Suunto is what you need, rest is crap"
"Uwatec is what you need, rest is crap"

Where to go from here???

Pauline,

Suunto Cobra is similiar to the SmartCom, but more user friendly and easier to navigate.

Don

Pauline:
Help needed!

I'm shopping around for my first divecomputer, and I'm still a little bit confused by it all...

I've got about €550 to spend, so that should get me a good one, but now the question is: which one is that?

Since I already have a good console and I don't like just giving that one up, I'm looking for a wrist mounted one.

About my divestyle: I'm hoping to complete my DM course soon, love U/W photography and mostly hang around between 20M-35M. So for now, I'm looking for something that can replace the wheel, given me more information and is easy to use.
But I don't know how my interests will develop, and I would feel stupid to come to the conclusion in a few years that I've bought a computer that doesn't fit my needs anymore, so I'd like a little bit more than just the basic. Definitely a computer that can work with enriched air.

People around me have shouted 2 things to me:
Uwatec SmartPro and Suunto Stinger.

They both seem to have tons of functions, but are very different in appearance.
I must say that I do like the idea of a "watch" format computer. (I like to wear something that expensive with me on holidays, not just leave it a the diveschool or hotel...)
But someone told me you can't change the battery yourself on the stinger, and that's a pain in the a**. True?

Someone else told me "Uwatec, the rest is nothing"
Is there really that big a difference in quality between the 2?

Is there anyone out there who's had the chance to test both, and can tell me some more?

Thanks for the help!

Greetz,

Pau.
I purchased a Suunto Stinger off E Bay brand new for a little under 50 USD. I got it from Gearmaster. I am happy with the deal.

Back
Top Bottom