Uwatec smartcom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelekealoha:
I'm also thinking about purchasing this computer, since I've had much experience with Uwatec dive comps in my Advanced course. My question is this: Where's the best place to buy, and, if you purchase from an online dealer, does that invalidate the warranty?

Larry's reply above is correct. All dealers offering ScubaPro/Uwatec products online to North America are doing so outside of the normal channels. ScubaToys appears to be dropping the ScubaPro/Uwatec line and as such, they're able to sell their remaining stock online.

Tachyon

I have the SmartCom with Quick Disconnect and I absolutely love it. (Of course, I just got it at the beginning of the month....)

I like it's features, and learn a lot from downloading my profiles and analyzing how I can improve my technique. I'm sure you can do this with many other computers...but I like the SmartTrak interface.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the SmartCom.

And I bought mine from my LDS (Underwater Sports in Federal Way, WA) when I bought my reg also. They took good care of me in terms of offering a competitive price. I also know it will be easy to get it serviced when the time comes.

Tachyon is correct... And floridapadiinstructor, thanks for asking 4 times... And if you ever want to do a Naui cross over... Let me know! :wink:

tachyon:
Larry's reply above is correct. All dealers offering ScubaPro/Uwatec products online to North America are doing so outside of the normal channels. ScubaToys appears to be dropping the ScubaPro/Uwatec line and as such, they're able to sell their remaining stock online.

Tachyon

I have a SmartCom with the quick disconnect.

I love it... I've had it for almost a year now, and I have used it on 77 dives for a total of 68 Hours and 45 minutes of dive time (the smarttrak software is great too) - my battery meter reads 88% as well, so it should last quite a while.

If you get it from an authorized Scubapro dealer, you should get a card with free battery replacement for life. You can't do it yourself though... you do have to send it in.

it has some audible alarms, which will probably go off a lot the first few times you use it... But that's ok, it's telling you what you're doing wrong... like breathing too hard, or running low on air, or ascending too quickly. The more you dive with the smartcom, you'll find that your air consumption will improve, since your much more consious of how much air you are consuming.

howarde:
I have a SmartCom with the quick disconnect.

I love it... I've had it for almost a year now, and I have used it on 77 dives for a total of 68 Hours and 45 minutes of dive time (the smarttrak software is great too) - my battery meter reads 88% as well, so it should last quite a while.

If you get it from an authorized Scubapro dealer, you should get a card with free battery replacement for life. You can't do it yourself though... you do have to send it in.

it has some audible alarms, which will probably go off a lot the first few times you use it... But that's ok, it's telling you what you're doing wrong... like breathing too hard, or running low on air, or ascending too quickly. The more you dive with the smartcom, you'll find that your air consumption will improve, since your much more consious of how much air you are consuming.

Sounds good! I plan on purchasing this computer this Spring when I get the MK25/S600 from my LDS who is an authorized SP dealer. Now on the competitive price...that I'm not sure of. He is giving me 10% off so for both products, the total cost will be $1325. Of course, LP is about $300 cheaper, but with no SP warranty. I am leaning towards my LDS.

Bill

BigBill:
Sounds good! I plan on purchasing this computer this Spring when I get the MK25/S600 from my LDS who is an authorized SP dealer. Now on the competitive price...that I'm not sure of. He is giving me 10% off so for both products, the total cost will be $1325. Of course, LP is about $300 cheaper, but with no SP warranty. I am leaning towards my LDS.

Bill

There are lots of people on both sides of the "Support your LDS" debate. I happen to fall on the side of sticking with my LDS for purchases. Sure, you can get cheaper from somebody on-line. But when it shows up and something's wrong, are they going to fix it right away? Another thing: Last time I checked, the on-line stores don't re-fill my tanks when they're empty. But my LDS does. Oh yeah...the on-line stores can't update me as to current conditions in my area either. But my LDS does. I could go on. (And I'm sure people on the other side could too...)

I have the MK25/S600 setup with the SmartCom Q/D. It's a great set-up. It breathes easy, and as somebody said earlier, having the computer helps make you a better diver.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the comments guys. I was going to get one until I saw an unbeatable offer (on ebay) for a brand new though older model oceanic datamax pro for £100 GBP with QD and spare battery. Cant wait to test it :)

The uwatec sounds better but I'm a poor student and price just had to factor in. Thanks.

ALL ScubaPro/Uwatec products MUST be sold from an authorized dealer IE Local Dive Shop. Scuba Pro is VERY pro active about finding and shutting down Grey sales. I know a a guy that bought a computer from an online "Dealer". He call the LDS and ask what it would run to get the battery replaced.
After Calling San Diego and asking the service manager from SP what it would run to get the battery replaced and telling him that the customer bought it online he was told that to tell the customer that it would be $500 for a new battery, more that the customer had paid for it originally.
After taking a class at Scuba Pro and seeing what it takes to replace the battery and then the test they do I can see why they are so picky.
Any computer in the "Smart" line would be a great purchase. SP also sets the price of their equipment so it really does not matter where you go there as long as they are an authorized dealer. Battery replacement for life is free!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom