Vallarta Adventures review for Diving and more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c-fstb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Puerto Vallarta in March and would like to book a few adventure trips ahead of time. Usually when I go on vacation I just wait till I'm there then go looking for some diving which results in various degrees of quality dives. This time I'm looking to be prepared. However while I usually just leave the wife & son behind on the beach while I go for the day, this time I'd like to include them as my son is now 8 and want's to come along.
Reading the posts here show most recommend other dedicated diving operations that don't mix divers & non-divers on the same boat, which is very understandable however I'm thinking that the 'Eco-Tour' that Vallarta Adventures offers would allow me to do a dive then take my son snorkelling. And my wife can join us or just enjoy the "hidden beach" on the Mariettas. I know it sounds kinda lame, but then we also want to do their Jungle Zipline on another day, then I would also like to book at least another day, possibly 2 of regular dives out to Corbetena, El Morro or other dive site. The advantage to booking all trips together with Vallarta Adventures on-line is a substantial discount. Unfortunately money is an object, otherwise I'd probably rather use different companies and spread the wealth (if I had any
sad.gif
).
Vallarta Adventures seems to have good on-line reviews from non-divers, but while posts here from divers are always quick to recommend other shops dedicated to diving, I've not actually found any bad reviews for them. I hate to have 4 or 5 trips booked with them and be disappointed with the first one knowing that I still had to deal with them for several more days.
If no positive recommendation of Vallarta Adventures, then any other dive companies that will do a dive/snorkel trip where I can do both. My son is fairly competent at snorkelling and has taken PADI's Bubblemaker course and has his own wetsuit & snorkeling vest, but there is still no way I'll allow him to snorkel in the open ocean without being within arms reach of me. He also wants to be in the boat while I actually go for a dive, since he's never gotten to see that yet. (I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's exciting for an 8 year old to see Dad go down:crafty:)
I'm going to be staying in Sayulita for 2 weeks, but will be renting a Jeep for the entire time so I don't have a problem getting around to different companies if required.

I did my OW and AOW with VA and was very pleased with the experience.

As far as a company and how they run the tour is concerned, VA is very professional, well organized and has a friendly, competent staff. The trip to las marietas will be on a double decker with a fair number of people. In March you have pretty good chance of seeing some whales on the way. When you do your dives, as you said, the non-divers can snorkel near the island and/or go to the island itself. The trip back includes lunch and an open bar so it pretty much becomes a party boat for the last part of the day.

Thanks for the review. VA was quick and courteous with a return email answering my questions. And while it seems many are quick to recommend other outfits, so far nobody seems to have any negative feedback even here when I've invited it. So I think I'll go ahead and book at least the dive/snorkel, zipline & dive trip with them, then if I can manage another maybe I'll try out Sayulita Entourage as I found a good review for them as well and they'll be closer to where I'm staying.
The worst thing about the party boat on the way back is that I'll have to drive so can't take advantage. Gotta behave in front of the kid anyways.:D

If you just wanted to go diving, I would probably steer you away from the VA Marietas trip too, but it's about the only way you can involve your wife and your son. You'll all have fun and they will treat you well.

If you see a blue beetle with SASK plates on it when you drive through Bucerias, give me a wave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom