VANISHED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario,

I am sure it can and DOES almost anywhere. I can only speak for my own experiences on the local boats that I patronize. Again, I have only been diving for a little under a year and unfortunately only get out once a month on boat dives but I have yet to encounter the horror stories I have heard and read on different sites.

No one is perfect. And it would be silly on my part to state that here in socal things like that don't happen. All I'm saying is the boats I go on practice very methodical checks before you enter the water, when you come back aboard and before they weigh anchor. I like this approach and wish everyone would do the same. It is safe practice. If I went on a boat and there were no checks and measures, especially before weighing anchor I would probably not dive with them again.

Have fun, stay wet, drop by Moss Cove Sunday morn if you have nothing better to do. Should be there around 9, would love to meet you and pick your brain more about other sites on our coastline.

Socaldiver

I've been to Moss Cove before, it was a night dive to test some new product I believe... lotsa steps going down to a fairly narrow beach right?

Normally would drive on up to Laguna, but I'm moving next weekend (Clairmont to Mission Valley) so I still have lots of packing to do.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

I don't understand what the couple had to gain-or avoid- by disappearing. I hate those "news shows" - so I didn't watch it but I don't find it so hard to believe that 1. The boat forgot them-obviously 2. Many life threatening scenarios are possible in diving. 3. And my backup(see this as a nurse all the time) for if anything goes wrong-illegal drug usage.

First off, thank you to the people that agreed with me.
I love to be right! Ha! And even an instructor..I'm truely honored.
Seriously, I am still giving this whole thing too much thought.
I considered what SeaAngel said too. And Mario. Here is what I came up with.
Their weight belts were not found. If they came up on the shore and took off all their equipment, where was the weight belts? They didn't have weight intergrated BCD's or that would have been said, and how much weight was in them would have been said. They wouldn't have carried them around the shore.
The reason is because they didn't come up on shore. The husband took everything off his wife, but her weight belt because he was letting her body descend. And the same with his.
Make sense?

The truth of the matter is that we will never know what really happened to them. Your theory is just as good as any other. Who knows, maybe they did die that way, or perhaps they really are alive. Either way, you can't deny the romance and mysterious crap that the TV show attemted to add for ratings sake.

I never gave the weights much thought, you make a good point. However, they could have released their weight belts and ditched them to the bottom also. Why float around the ocean with all that on? Uummm...

Sea Angel, If it were me, I wouldn't dump my weights if I had air left in the cylinder. The fact of the matter is that Large Predators would rather attack something on the surface than something in the water column. Your chances are better if you were able to drop down 10-15 feet when being circled... then swim right for it, showing aggression.

Arm me with a scuba tool, some of Texas Mikes famous chili, and Iguana Don's wetsuit, and I'm now the most dangerous thing in the ocean!

Mario,
LOL Ha! Thanks for the laugh.
Sea Angel, It's true I'd still keep my weights on too. Although, they were probably swimming and floating, we are taught to dump our weights while underwater in case of an emergency, last resort kinda thing, to bring us to the surface. They were most likey already on the surface, so dumping the weights wouldn't help, and would be needed if they wanted go down a few feet or so, like Mario said.
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom