Vegetarian Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-boltfish once bubbled...
I'm a vegetarian and have been all my life :)
It's wrong to kill animals just so that you can enjoy their flesh, for many reasons that I can't be bothered to go into right now :)

You're a carnivore.

Get over it.

suzie q once bubbled...
that does remind me of the zoo in Syracuse, NY.

They have a lovely area where zoo patrons can have close encounters with cows and chickens, among other friendly animals.

Not 3 yards away there stands a Burger King kiosk serving up hot Bessie Burgers and Henny Penny fingers.

Straight-up macabre.

:blahblah:

There's room for -all- God's creatures.

(Right next to the mashed potatoes)

suzie q once bubbled...
Ive been meat/poultry/seafood free for 6 years...and have avoided dairy and eggs for 2.

it just seems so bizarre to be a rec diver (or any diver) and also eat marine life!

to me it's like members of the audience at a Crufts dog show going out for delicious yorkshire terrier cutlets and grilled chihuahua fajitas afterwards.

Do you go kelp diving, and then feel guilty about eating a salad?

Each to their own - you don't harm me and I won't harm you.

Eat what you like that's how I do it - I don't like meat or sea food but you might not like onions - I'll eat your onions you eat my sea food - deal?

My wife loves sea food and that's fine by me, just don't expect me to eat it and we're happy.

BUT when it comes to Shark's Fin, Deer Horn or Dried Sea Horse, I would have to complain and say some things are better left alive.

Eat meat? Of course! I rarely eat veggies... I believe that the purpose of life is to be at the top of the food chain... If you're not at the top, that means that some other animal is using you as its form of sustenance... If you don't eat meat, you're just food for the rest of us... It's a BBQ or get BBQed world out there... Are you going to be the one BBQing or getting BBQed?

I've given vegetarianism a shot a couple of times. Just can't do it. I love a well-seasoned, grilled steak too much. I love sauteed river trout. I adore me some Peruvian roast chicken.

The source of all my guilt, however, is that I cannot kill. Not anything. Not ever. I watch mosquitoes bite me and fly away.

So, how do I find equilibrium? Ignorance. I just don't think about the death on my plate and I'm happy.

Now, I'm renting a shore house with some friends next week and one of my buddies is aggressively lobbying for a deep-sea fishing excursion and he's getting all bent out of shape by my resistance.

Oh well. I suppose one day I'll find the strength to either swear off flesh, or find the strength to kill. Until then I'll just pretend diving isn't "meet 'em and eat 'em."

PS: While I'm at the shore house (on the beaches of NJ) I'm going diving. Probably with Lobster hunters. I have no idea how I'm going to deal with that.

you know, i have no quibbles with veggies, apart from the ones that whine constantly and say they can't 'eat' with me if im going to eat meat in front of them
the majority dont mind at all, i eat what i want, they eat what they want, were all friends at the end of the day :)

one question though, how come no body hammers those lions for chasing after the weak gazelle? or the fish that happily devours its smaller brethren?
oh wait, thats nature, thats ok,
my bad :wink:

blackice once bubbled...
Each to their own - you don't harm me and I won't harm you.

Eat what you like that's how I do it - I don't like meat or sea food but you might not like onions - I'll eat your onions you eat my sea food - deal?

My wife loves sea food and that's fine by me, just don't expect me to eat it and we're happy.

BUT when it comes to Shark's Fin, Deer Horn or Dried Sea Horse, I would have to complain and say some things are better left alive.

Fine by me, live and let live.

That's why I didn't respond to one of your posts.

The original question is slanted and foolish.

"How can you swim with a fish, and then eat it?"

Because I'm normal, and anyone who wouldn't, isn't?

And this is simply -deviant-, for more reasons than I can be bothered to go into right now:

"It's wrong to kill animals just so that you can enjoy their flesh, for many reasons that I can't be bothered to go into right now"

I would use a more accurate description, sans moderators.

Human eyes ain't in the front of the skull for grazing.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Human eyes ain't in the front of the skull for grazing.
Rick

OK, and riddle me this. Why are most apes vegetarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom