Vegetarian Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
suzie q once bubbled...
It's interesting how the general tone of the posts from those who enjoy their meat is disrepectful or mocking.

I wonder why? It certainly doesn't have anything to do with posts like -boltfish's, "It's wrong to kill animals just so that you can enjoy their flesh".

i don't tell people what they should eat, or make flat-out proclamations of what is right and wrong. In asking the original question, i simply wanted to have a healthy discussion about what divers eat and how diving may effect what they eat.

What did you expect after telling people how ghastly it is to visit the zoo and still eat meet?

my boyfriend is a diver, does not eat meat or poultry but does eat seafood. he's defended his choices, <snip> i also took a lighthearted approach to my question,

And many people took a light hearted way of defending there choice.

everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, but by asking that the discussion be moved to the 'humor' section, you are just displaying ignorance and a closed mind.

Why because the thread is off topic? You say you want a healthy discussion and then say call people ignorant?!

Cornfed

Think we have about 300 cookbooks in our house and my wife subscribes to quite a few receipe magazines.

Any guesses on if we are vegatarians or meat eaters?

I am not a veggie nor could I ever be one - I love meat and fish too much to give them up.

If I am honest I have no problem with rearing animals for food, cows, sheep, pigs, fish etc.

My problem is however with people who kill for the sake of it, who don't know when to stop killing and who kill for the fun and the sport of it. For example I always try and get my fish from local small fishermen if I can who don't trawel for fish as I have a serious problem with traweling as it causes untold damage to the ecosystem, at least when I get my fish from pleasure fisherman I know they have only taken one or two and the person I get my fish from has strict ideas about the size of fish he will take.

I can't stand when people kill animals to the point of extinction and for no good reason other than because they can
Growing up in Ireland, beef, potatoes and fish were the main food in my diet, who am I to tell someone that it is wrong for them to kill whatever meat is their staple food because I don't agree with it, whatever that meat is. But show me some-one abusing the whole thing and that really angers me.

saying once bubbled...

OK, and riddle me this. Why are most apes vegetarian?

pfhtttt

Because they forgot how to finish evolving into humans. HAHAHAHAHA (Like they every did.) Give me a break.

Apes are apes and eat what they do because that's what they know and like. Each generation teaches the next as with humans. Animals for that part are animals and eat what they are taught to survive. The fact that their intellect is not that of humans and they don't live like humans is why they eat the selections they eat. Humans eat what they eat because that's what they are introduced to. There are humans that catch whales and cut the flesh right off and eat it. It is what they have been taught. They don't cook it up on the grill but that doesn't make them animals. There are animals who use sticks as utensils to eat with but that doesn't make the humans. I bet you devout vegetarians would munch on the "flesh" of worms if that's all you had to survive on. If carnivores (in the "animal kingdom") have no meat to eat they won't choose to die instead of eating veggies. Unlike stupid humans who think they are going to convince other humans that they would refuse to eat what they had to in order to survive.

Let's use our well developed (in most cases) brain to THINK here. It is great if you choose to be a vegetarian or semi-vegetarian or not. That is what makes ours a great country. Unfortunately that same right to make those decisions allows fanatics to run amuck and talk trash to those who choose to make different decisions than they. Decisions that well, best suite themselves instead of others. Humans have the opportunity to be introduced to different types of foods to eat because of their intellect. The concept of try new things or sharing is not a concept that animals entertain. That is why they eat what they eat and we eat what we eat. There are people right here in the US who eat very differently than others right here in the US. North - South - East - West.

If you want to beat a drum and march in the streets talk about the aforementioned shark fin soup, or just killing for sport instead of food. Why persecute someone who dives for eating seafood. That's stupid. Why would a farmer of veggies be a better person for growing cabbage for a living and eating it than a cattle rancher? Would you stop running in a field just because next season it's gonna be planted with berries. I bet not. Please. Fuss when the human haves start eating the have-nots.

Otherwise, feel secure in your choice to or not to eat meat and leave others alone. I think hypocrisy (the practice of professing beliefs, feelings or virtues that one does not hold or possess) run amuck here.

You guys have a good day. I going to have what every I want for lunch and it could be veggie, fish, meat…from a variety of ethnicities. (Heck sushi with some seaweed salad and teriyaki steak and chicken combo fried rice sounds good right now. Anyone want to come along? R

(She jumps from soap box, picks up the handle and rolls it away.)

Well, I guess I've been put in my place for *gasp* stirring up a little controversy.

Hopefully a few of you are just a little curious as to what effect your consumption has on the world you live in.

this thread is definitly ON TOPIC if any diver dives to observe marine life.

From http://archive.greenpeace.org/~oceans/globaloverfishing/

"SCIENTISTS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT the biggest single threat to marine biodiversity today is overfishing.

Most of the world's major fisheries are depleted or rapidly deteriorating. Wherever they operate, commercial fishing fleets are exceeding the oceans' ecological limits. They are unraveling the intricate web of marine biodiversity that makes the oceans such a vital and productive part of the Earth's life support system. "

Just because you ignore it, it doesn't right itself.

Something needs to happen to allow the populations to recover. One way that I, personally can help: avoid ingesting them.

One other way: get people talking and thinking about it. the more people are aware of he problem, the more they can do to alleviate the causes.

so there's my agenda. i don't claim to be perfect, or claim that i'm better than anyone else.

im a vegetarian. Im a diver. those are two big parts of who i am, and they are, believe it or not, relevant to one another.

I believe there is a no limit, open season for vegetarian divers, I reccomend a large powerhead, so there is no chance they will escape and spawn Z~

suzie q once bubbled...
Well, I guess I've been put in my place for *gasp* stirring up a little controversy.

Hopefully a few of you are just a little curious as to what effect your consumption has on the world you live in.

"SCIENTISTS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT the biggest single threat to marine biodiversity today is overfishing.

Most of the world's major fisheries are depleted or rapidly deteriorating.

Just because you ignore it, it doesn't right itself.

Something needs to happen to allow the populations to recover. One way that I, personally can help: avoid ingesting them.

One other way: get people talking and thinking about it. the more people are aware of he problem, the more they can do to alleviate the causes.

so there's my agenda. i don't claim to be perfect, or claim that i'm better than anyone else.

im a vegetarian. Im a diver. those are two big parts of who i am, and they are, believe it or not, relevant to one another.

Advocating to save an environment or an endangered species is very different than not eating marine life because you dive.

"it just seems so bizarre to be a rec diver (or any diver) and also eat marine life!"

Excessive use to the point that there is no more is terrible no matter what. But that is not veggie vs burger. R

suzie q once bubbled...
<snip>
so there's my agenda. i don't claim to be perfect, or claim that i'm better than anyone else. <snip>

The rest of your posts in this thread kept insisting that you just waned a discussion....when in reality, you were just looking for an opportunity to spout your agenda. I don't even really mind you spouting your agenda, as long as A) you're honest about what your doing, and B) you do it with the understanding that I don't have to think you're right and I can still be a good environmentally conscious kind of person. The impression I get from your posts is that you don't believe that can be in the same person....now that may or may not be the impression you were trying to make....but it's definitely the impression you made on me.

Oh and btw....didn't notice how long you've been on this board, but if you stick around, you'll see that no one here is new to controversy of any kind and your post barely rippled the water as far as controversial posts.

Peace,
Cathie

My son is a semi vegitarian. He will eat sea food. Why? Because in his opinion, fish can't feel pain. I beg to differ, but that's not the point. Humans are omnivorous. I do not have a problem with people that want to be vegetarians, almost vegetarians, or true vegetarians (vegans). The lifestyle that goes along with restricting your diet fits many people, just not me.

I also have no problem eating sea food and being a recreational diver. I love to watch fish in their environment. But I also like fresh fish. Have I spear fished? Yes. Will I do so again? Yes. I would never take anything outside of the legal limits. I would also never take any more than I can eat. Frankly, it's not that easy in the first place. Fish don't just sit there waiting for you to shoot them.

My only request is that you please not judge me for my life style. I would never be so presumptuous as to judge you for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom