Venice Beach Dive Party!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive yesterday was excellent! Normally, there is a drop of several inches to a couple of feet just inside the surf zone. That drop is what makes entries and exits in surf so difficult. Yesterday, there was no drop. That made the entry and the exit easy. Visibility was about 2½ feet with is on the low side of average for Venice Beach. Last weekend Rusty and I saw 25 feet of viz, but that is extremely rare. We were hoping or a repeat, but certainly weren't expecting it. I first dived Venice Beach in 1986, I've only twice seen visibility at 25 feet or greater. Teeth were fairly scarce this trip, I found a scant 68.

The people were the highlight of this gathering. I saw some old friends, some folks I'd met recently but don't know well yet and met some people I'd previously only known from the board. I enjoyed you all. I even learned to say a name which at first I couldn't even imagine.

I discovered Harvey and I work at the same place, but he's relatively new and works nights. Since I've been working days for about 20 years, we've never crossed paths at work.

The kids were extremely well behaved, some were pretty shy, but all were sweet.

Poor ducks. Ducks didn't pay enough attention to either my briefing nor Pete's. Don't hop when a breaker strikes you. That will send you tumbling. Don't put on your fins until you are past the breakers. You need stability to lean into the waves. Keep a death grip on your equipment. Breakers love to steal things from loosely closed hands.

This morning, I returned to the scene of the crime to meet Kelly (one of my favorite dive buddies from PA) and her fiance, Mike. I'd never met Mike before. Since the weather was not cooperating (lightning) we decided to relax over breakfast. I enjoyed my visit with them. Mike seems to be a really good person which is what Kelly deserves.

Thanks to everyone who came out. I didn't get the opportunity to get to know everyone, but I enjoyed all those I did meet.

Hey - the teeth are awesome! I was sooo relieved to begin finding them. It'll be a few weeks but I'll be watching for an opportunity to head back soon.

Thanks Walter for the briefings and Wendy for getting this going. Walter has enough teeth now to make his own shark!

We took off 2PM after dozing through the morning to the sound of rain on the roof. I haven't had as peaceful a morning in months & months. "It's all good!"

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Hey - the teeth are awesome! I was sooo relieved to begin finding them. It'll be a few weeks but I'll be watching for an opportunity to head back soon.

Thanks Walter for the briefings and Wendy for getting this going. Walter has enough teeth now to make his own shark!

We took off 2PM after dozing through the morning to the sound of rain on the roof. I haven't had as peaceful a morning in months & months. "It's all good!"

I LOVE sleeping to the sound of a good storm!

Well our prayers for the rain to stop were finally answered, but it was about 24 hours to late. As today went on the rains stopped and the skies cleared. Looks like we could have a beautiful work week ahead. (haha) :wink:

Can't wait till the next Wendy Excursion.......

Wildbill:D

When Cindy and I left, we saw the yellow banana under paddle power and gliding smoothly through the water despite Mother Natures efforts to sink her.

Glad to see that you were able to get it off the beach finally!

It was great to meet some of you guys in real time. Unfortunately we did not get wet as 2.5 feet of vis is simply unappealing to us

Spolied, yes we know:)

But hey, we can alway get together again at another time.

Oh and Walter, remember the name :D M I R I E L A :D

We will be seeing some you again soon, when we go to the Club meeting in FT. Myers upon our return from Roatan.

Thanks again to everyone for coming out, lets do this again soon!

Jose y Miriela,

I think I have it now. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on Monday nights.

Don't knock the 2 ½ feet of viz, different goals require different conditions. For fossil hunting, that's plenty.

Don't forget to look for Indigo Hamlets in Roatan and tell Patty I miss her posts. Have a blast!

Walter - Totally agree.. my only hold back is getting tumbled around in the surf. Of course, I look outside today and see blue skies and no wind to speak of and think "sure, always on a Monday when I can't be out there.." :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom