Venice Beach Dive Party!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It rolled through Ft Myers in patches.. it rained at the homestead somewhere around 10am with thunder but no visible lightning. It rolled through my work (8 miles east of home) about 11.45 with rain, light thunder, but no visible lightning. Yesterday it was hardcore about 10am.

I'm in North Port right now and it came in hard this morning around...7:30. Didn't really let up totaly untill 10:30. But after that, no real problems.

My resourcefulness has shone through like a beacon. I got an onion sack thing to hold all the things I find on the dive. Had a hole in it near the middle but I fixed that with some fishing line.

I got an onion sack thing to hold all the things I find on the dive.

Right... ok.. we must have had one of those ESP moments because I found the same thing in my little "shed" and said "ooooooooo... this will help out!" and tossed it towards the door to be packed. Now, if I can just figure out what to use to wind up some rope for my flag.... my crabtrap line seems to have been borrowed and not returned.

Sifter box will not be made, the wood I was intending to use for it was scrap I had kept for a possible project, but it seems to have aged badly and I don't want kids to get hurt on breaking wood. I'll have the water jug minus spout, that hasn't held well with age either.. Jeeze, guess its a good thing I'm learning all this now and not during a hurricane when I usually have them ready to rock :)

Its raining here right now, but the weather fella says its to be clearing as the morning goes on and by noon on it will be nice the rest of the day and cooler than normal! Game on!

Hey Amber.. our Bucs seem to be doing good tonight eh!?

The dive shop across the street from me donated a few door prizes including a couple of mesh bags to be used in the hunt. Those without catch bags find me and i can hook you up.

CBulla once bubbled...

Hey Amber.. our Bucs seem to be doing good tonight eh!?

Ooo you know it :D I don't know if they won or not. Last time I looked it was still 7-0 BUCS! My mom hates football and changed it. *sigh*

Hope you guys are all having fun right now. Weather radar shows heavy storms in Tampa and Ft. Myers, but you should be clear right now.

Looks like you have a few hours before the offshore stuff blows in.

Marc

(sounding like the Gilligans island theme song)
o/~..The weather started getting rough, the tiny divers were tossed.. here and there with almost no vis, and masks and fins were lost... masks and fins were lost...~/o

The wind was constant, the surf was pounding.. masks, fins, and a weight belt were lost.. The rain was cold, and the second wave was furious, but the company was good! It was great to meet you all today, Kris and I both had fun though I only got my wetsuit wet and no dive in.. Xavier slept all the way home and is wide awake playing on the floor now :wink:

Perhaps this sort of thing can be a regular gathering.. shore beach dive get together, but at different places... Ft Lauderdale, Crystal Springs, etc...

Harvey, let me know when you have time to do a dive local and we'll go blow some bubbles :)

To see who can post a report the fastest after the event.

After today's experience of 'DEREPMET' visibility (That's tempered spelled backwards, as in that's all you can see is the lettering in the faceplact), being knocked around in the surf, rained on and losing my compass out of it's console (again in the surf), I don't think I'll complain about the cost of boat fees any time soon :).

Actually, I had a good time and my wife & I did manage to stay under for about 40 minutes. Each of us still had over 1500 PSI left. Apparently, we didn't go out far enough to find any teeth.

The 2 kids didn't fair as well. One had was too light and they didn't figure out the buddy line thing so they ended up playing on the beach while we were in the water.

I agree with 'Harvo'. we should try to do this again and vary the location around the state.

Now for the casualty tally - who else lost gear? (I know of at least 1 weight belt and a couple of masks)

Dean Hayes - One of the advisors for The ScubaDucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom